Nintendo Switch

Misguided recommended the above screen protector for mine. I’m super happy with it. It was very easy to install. Has nice rounded edges. Super high quality.

FWIW I don’t use a screen protector and haven’t had scratch after a years worth of constant use.

It depends on so many factors, I wouldn’t advise anyone to not use one. I wear a single ring, but that circle of gold is the bane of all things glass.

I find it very difficult to take the switch in and out of the dock without rubbing the screen against one side.

Normally I wouldn’t if it were normal smartphone strength glass but I’m sure Nintendo has cheaped out on the quality of the glass. That and my two kids are now 3 and 6 so that seems like a huge danger. This is probably a ridiculous question but does the Switch have a touch screen?

I’m also wondering about how well multiple languages are supported and buying games from other countries’ stores. My kids are half Japanese and I’d like to use games as a way to encourage them to practice. If I were to switch the system language to Japanese would the game language also switch to Japanese? It seems like most games bought in Japan will default to English if the system language is in English so I wonder how well it works the other way around. Also, I would like to get some Japan only games from the Japanese store (such as a Doraemon game or something like that). How easy is it to (and how do you go about doing it) purchase games from other countries’ stores?

Yes, but few games make use of it. It’s good for menu stuff though.

It’s plastic, made for kids… it’ll scratch but won’t break.

Pretty well. There’s no region locking so you buy carts from wherever. You can switch language on the system at will.

Some Japanese games might switch to English but I don’t think games bought outside of Japan actually contain Japanse localisation, so changing language probably won’t work that way (unsure on this).

The eStore you use is based on the country settings in your Nintendo account, so to shop elsewhere you just change that setting online, or make another account purely for that country (one machine can have multiple accounts). You eShop balance will not carry over though.

They do, to an extent, even when it isn’t advertised on the store sometimes. For instance, the first Dragon Quest Builders supports Japanese language wherever you buy it (Japanese language isn’t listed on the US version), but Dragon Quest XI won’t (for obvious business reasons, as the English voice overs are sold as DLC in Japan).

Sega and Capcom often cheaps out on this like they do on Steam — in Capcom’s case, often to preserve the Japanese players to come into contact of toxic aliens as quite a few of their games have online modes —, and Koei is the worst.

Nintendo games, on the other hand, are always supporting all the languages. But as a rule, what appears on the store’s listing is often what you will get. Only very few games seem to have “hidden” Japanese language.

Purchasing from US is easy: you buy codes on Amazon and redeem them on the US store. Purchasing from Japan requires you stocking up on gift cards, as there is no online option to purchase them. The maximum you can put on an account is 200$/20.000ens at a time — which means you can’t purchase all the DLCs at once of some of the wackiest Bandai or Koei games, I guess XD

To note: there are pretty heavy discount (for Japan) sales in Japan regularly on the big titles. I’d say it’s worth waiting out, but the truth is that with those limited sales, eshop games prices just come into range of the physical copies you could buy there.

If given the choice, I’d always buy from the US store, as it is cheapest. There are a few exceptions for foreign games, available pretty cheap in Japan compared to elsewhere as a way to promote them I guess (Binding of Isaac is one of those).

Finally, switching language of the console (which is the only way to switch language of games, baring some rare exceptions) isn’t the easiest as it requires a reboot.

You have to create accounts for each of the stores you want to use unless you trust Nintendo with your credit cards info (I don’t), as the balance won’t carry over if you switch stores. It is pretty easy (I set 3 of the 4 accounts of my console to 3 different stores, and I have still one to spare!).

I’m actually in Canada but I think my store is set to the US. The only setting for region I can find is “The Americas”. I’m guessing it’s cheaper to keep it there than pay Canadian prices. The location setting seems to only be for US postal codes for sales tax purposes. Can I just put in the zip code of a state that doesn’t have sales tax? I’m guessing I wouldn’t be able to use my Canadian credit card then.

If you need a zip code in such a state ;)

I think a screen protector is wise if you often switch between the tv and hand mode. I felt better having the screen protected.

Secret tip? Use an alcohol based spray to mist the screen before laying down, then squeegee using a hard flat tool to squeeze out all liquid. Puts it down super smooth with no air bubbles.

The screen protector for my surface came that way and it worked super well.

Yes, ‘Region’ on the console refers to the standard cartridge release areas, like America’s, Japan, Europe, etc. Changing this lets you play the carts bought in those regions.

The setting for the eStore you use is not on the console, it’s in your Nintendo Account on their website.

eg, I’m in Australia and can see this on my account:

That said, I’m not sure Canada has it’s own eStore. :)

I heard that if you run your shower and let the bathroom steam up a bit before you apply the protector, the moisture will eliminate the dust in the air. Haven’t tried it myself though!

it looks like the switch killed the 3ds here in Germany, at least in a huge electronics store (chain)… they have maybe 20% of the 3DS games they used to have. But also now the store space (the 80%) is filled with Switch titles… I went to look, if I could find Bravely Default. Looks like most 3DS games found a home at Amazon. Is it similar in the rest of the world?

We still have Gamestop here and they carry a lot of 3DS games including used of course. Best Buy’s section has shrunk, but they have an ok selection. Target is about 20 SKUs now. I haven’t been in a Walmart in forever.

I also have local stores who have large selections. You should look for independent stores near you.

I have two boardgames shops in the area, they might have 2-5 3ds games, some PS4 games. Other than that we only have GameStop, but I usually do not go there because of their overpriced used stuff. Maybe I will check what new 3ds games they have … we do not have independent games stores in my area (Stuttgart,lol) the big ware houses got me covered with 3DS games…

Heh, what’s crazy is that I know exactly the Electronics Boutique at the King of Prussia mall that he bought that game at… I’m the same age, so hell, we could have been there at the same time.

The King of Prussia mall was the “good” mall in that area at the time. It was huge.

I knew the guys that ran that store at that time. I arrived at EB in the summer of '93 when he would have bought Link’s Awakening. It shipped in August of that year. King of Prussia is still huge… huger than ever now that both malls are connected. You should go if you haven’t recently.

I was at the Berkshire Mall store in Reading and later the Frackville location when it was new. I also worked at Park City, Harrisburg East, and Coventry at various times. Also ran a register at both warehouse sales although the first one was the best one. I got my first Neo Geo AES there for $200. It was an incredible buy. Stopped traffic in both directions on 202.