Nintendo Switch

I <3 Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. Super fun co-op game which is approachable even if one of the two people is not as experienced a player. One person can mostly carry the other without the 2nd person feeling bored or unhelpful.

I started because I wanted a grindy crawler. I am a big Disgaea fan. This is an acquired taste.
I really liked the story. It sneaks up on you. As for the dungeon crawling, it can be difficult because it doesn’t have a “GO HERE DO THIS” like in modern games. A lot of hitting myself in the head to figure out the encounters. One misstep, die, reload! It was $20 on New Year’s, so maybe it will drop again.

Holy crap that was a steep discount. Definitely sounds like my kind of game. I’ve been wanting something like Etrian Odyssey since I got my Switch. But I don’t think I can justify it until the price drops again.

It’s been $25 on the eShop a couple of times, which is what I’m waiting for so I can rebuy it. Hopefully that happens sometime after I decide I’m done with Rune Factory 4 Special and Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, which both hit on the 25th!

I’ll put up another vote for Labyrinth of Refrain. It has a slow start but eventually both the story and gameplay are pretty good. One of the few RPGs where I was actually interested in trying new party configurations from time to time.

Yggdra Union announced for Switch for March 5th in Japan. Budget release, so unlikely to have redrawn graphics.

Here’s hoping they localize it. It will be the third time I buy it. A solid yet very different take on a SRPG.

Now bring on Knights in the Nightmare!

Diablo 3 does 1-4 players.

Conduct Together is a frantic co-op puzzle game where you have to direct trains to avoid them crashing.

Wargroove is basically fantasy advance wars and just added a co-op campaign though I think the new campaign is only 2 player. It has 1-4 player support for vs mode.

Blazing Beaks is a roguelite that supports 4 players for co-op and vs.

Heave Ho is a hilarious 1-4 play co-op kinda platforming game where the controls are just waving your arms around and gripping/releasing either hand.

Light Fingers is a turn based board game/party game

For the King is a 1-3 player turn based RPG with tabletop and roguelite elements. (I have only played this on PC so not sure how good the switch port is)

Not for the first time I bemoan the lack of a like button. Thanks so much Paul, great info! We have been playing Overcooked but most of those look fantastic!

Thanks for all the recommendations, seems like this won’t end up an animal crossing machine.

Both Rayman games and Kirby’s Epic Yarn were great hits in our house. I think we’ll try new super mario Bros and the Kirby game.

My kids loved the new Kirby game, but I found it less engaging than past ones. It’s too easy, IMO. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime was a huge coop hit in our house! The whole family played together and had a blast.

Fantastic work, @paul_chambers.

I also would strongly recommend For the King - it’s like playing a really fun and exciting board game with friends, without the setup! My son and I had a really good time playing this with @ShivaX, and honestly I had forgotten about it until Paul reminded me it existed. I had no idea it was on the Switch. Very tempting.

Sounds like the switch version has had performance problems since launch and hasn’t been patched yet so maybe stick to the PC version.

It’s locked to 30 fps and you better install it on the console itself because the long loading times are out of control otherwise, but it’s better than running it on a lower end computer in my experience.

I tend to be a lot more forgiving of frame rate/resolution issues when I’m playing on my Switch - it seems to, itself, work out better than it should on paper. Games that do 540p @30 fps still look fantastic to me in handheld mode. It’s such an amazing little device.

Uhm - as best I know, it’s supposed to come out on March 20. My two boys are waiting for it as well.

Titles that are favorites in our house (each of the boys now have a Switch, but they tend to play together on the same screen despite that): Most of these are 2-player, though.

• Minecraft
  • Overcoooked (though mostly for the mayhem - actual winning the levels is rare)
  • Rayman Legends (a perennial favorite - one of the first games we bought. It’s also much easier co-op than playing alone, which is a distrinct bonus). One of the very few games that the kids have completed (though we’re still not at 100%, and probably never will be).
  • Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. It also has an easy and a super-easy mode, so even very young kids can have fun with this.
  • Super Mario Maker 2. The kids absolutely love creating new levels together and then playing them afterwards. Discussions can get quite heated sometimes, but I think this is probably the most played game in the house now.
  • They’ve played a deal of the Kirby Star Allies demo, but never gotten around to buying it. I assume they’d like it, if they did.
  • Snipperclips. The kids like it, though I tend to find many of the puzzles very frustrating (i.e., it’s easy to see what you need to do, but it’s quite easy to mess up the execution).
  • Pokemon Let’s Go. It’s much, much easier in 2-player, but that’s not a minus from their point of view…
  • Various Lego games. They clocked quite a lot of hours in the Lego City, Lego Marvel heroes and Jurassic Park, but they haven’t played them in a few months. Only 2 player, as well.

I have For the King on Switch and have not had any crashes on it whatsoever in many hours of co-op play. It also runs fine and has no long load times… YMMV.

In short, it’s great as a co-op RPG. Kind of on the lite side, but complex enough to have tons of loot worth lusting after. With 3 players it shines. Lots of discussions about which quest to take, which enemies should be engaged/avoided, etc.

Only downside is that the controls on a console are kinda obtuse. It’s fine once you get used to it but it’s weird.

March 20? That’s just a week after her birthday, yay.

If it’s too easy we’ll probably skip it.

Such a way since we played Kirby’s Epic Yarn. They were both very young and I used to carry them through the more challenging parts. As the years went by, they got better and I got older. My daughter likes to complete the crazy Raymen levels when she needs to de-stress after school. Last month I played unravel with my son and he had to carry me over some sequences…

Holy crap, really? Damn, that would be a third time buy for me, too.

Great list! Not heard of Conduct Together before and nice to see Heave Ho and Light Fingers getting some attention.

Thanks for bringing up this game. I had never heard of it and my daughter and I had a blast playing it tonight. She loves running around as a vampire killing people and I’m running around shooting everything. Very fun co-op game. :)