Nintendo Switch

Yeah, I loved theses anecdotes! Your daughter sounds like a fun coop partner!

Word on the streets is that the latest Witcher 3 patch adds cross save with Steam and gog.

That patch also adds a bunch of graphical options: setting the anti aliasing to off and sharpening filter takes off the mud with minimal artefacts. Quite a wonder.

Slavverā€¦ not sure I want to watch though. I am 100% getting this so might go on blackout til I play it. :)

Can you (or anyone else) comment on how For the King performs on the Switch. I have it on PC, but very much think it would be a great fit for travel/portable/couch co-op gaming. I have just been too afraid to get it on Switch due to early comments pointing to poor performance.

We said it was okay, on par with a lower end laptop. Might be insufferable if you are used to running the pc version smoothly.

I didnā€™t play For the King from its release ā€“ the initial version had a rep for crashing and a poor framerate. There have been a couple patches since, last one in November 2019. Currently, it runs fine to me. It may occasionally crash but it autosaves each turn so itā€™s not a huge thing if it happens.

Maybe the PC version is super smooth, I dunno, but I wouldnā€™t characterize the Switch version as sluggish.

Looking forward to the Animal Crossing direct. I think all we know about the game so far, a month before release, is:

• Itā€™s set on an island.
  • Thereā€™s crafting.

If thereā€™s more, Iā€™m not sure what it is.

The direct aired this morning, I missed it but thankfully itā€™s up on YouTube. Here is the link to the time stamp where it starts (for some reason the entire 1+ hour stream is listed with the first 40 minutes just a logo).

Iā€™m going to check it out here in a bit.

This might be a stupid question, but Iā€™ve never played an Animal Crossing game and know nothing at all about it. Based on what little Iā€™ve seen I thought this was a little kidā€™s game and not a ā€œrealā€ game that would offer anything to adults that donā€™t have kids to game with.

Is this something aimed at all ages?

Hell yeah.

I gather itā€™s a bit like a Stardew Valley, though maybe more chill/relaxing than that, and has a blending of The Sims? No combat or anything, but you are growing/cultivating/expanding your corner of the world and interacting with other characters that ā€¦ I donā€™t know, have quests? Itā€™s something Iā€™ve been interested in, but only with this new am I looking at it with interest. So far I do like what Iā€™ve seen, but itā€™s slow going watching this presentation at work.

I am midway through the Direct now (or maybe a little further). Theyā€™re talking about new additions to the island, like Museum and a larger Guest Services building with more tools.

Are these planned future (free, IIRC) DLC that will roll out over time IRL, or are they instead tied to your advancement of your personal island based on in-game metrics?

I would kinda prefer the latter ā€“ Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m gonna be able to afford this when it comes out, but plan to buy it eventually, and sorta like the idea of watching the island grow and develop ā€œnaturallyā€ rather than coming in 6 months late and itā€™s just stuffed to the gills with new crap.

(This is almost exactly the opposite of how I think about other games, I think, hah, but to me, it seems like part of the AC experience is that sort of gradual, peaceful growth)

Animal Crossing is not really a videogame. But itā€™s definitely played by people of all ages.

Mostly youā€™ll be decorating things, collecting things, and managing relationships with the asshole animals on the island. This new one has crafting which wasnā€™t in the last AC I played.

Theyā€™re pretty boring, but that might be what youā€™re looking for.

(donā€™t forget to read the above comment with Tomā€™s impersonation of Richard Holt)

Itā€™s pretty unreasonable of Tom Chick to make fake posts using my account. Abuse of power! Impeach him!

Got an answer to my own q on reddit: things like museum and new town developments are per-user, unlocked through play.

My, weā€™re gonna need to exchange lots of friend codes on March 20th!

Is the ā€œall saves on the same console share a townā€ thing unique to the new game? Itā€™s a really weird decision, IMO. Getting this for my gf and I to play together, sure, but I could imagine at a certain point that sheā€™ll get much more into it than me and would want to have full control over her island, but it sounds like when I login on my own, Iā€™ll potentially be mucking things up for her, or weā€™ll be unlocking stuff without each other seeing it?