Nintendo Switch

Anyone playing Bloodroots? I’m looking for something new to pick up for my holiday next week, and the reviews I’m seeing are encouraging, but there aren’t many of them.

I’ve been wondering same.

Reviews look generally good but suggest bugs and performance issues. The last could be a big problem on the switch version depending on the port.

Anyone played Pillars of Eternity on the Switch? I have been reading around a bit but it’s hard to tell how bad of a port it is. I don’t mind if it’s a little rough but if it’s like a trainwreck I will avoid it.

Just watching an old IGN review for the Switch it seems totally fine, but I don’t know if I’d personally want to play with a controller like that.

And also this, with the top comment saying some folks are experiencing bugs and other issues, but this is also a year old so maybe that’s been smoothed out.

There’s definitely some amount of bug complaints on various internet places but it’s hard to figure out if it’s a few people having issues or everyone.

I picked up a Switch recently for my son - any good recommendations for 2-player games that a 7 year old can enjoy that are also reasonably priced? Thanks!

What kind of games does he enjoy? How much is “reasonably priced”?

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an easy pick.

Mario vs. Rabbids goes on sale frequently and is a fun! We’re big fans of Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and the Overcooked series in my house.

Luigis Mansion

All the usual suspects: Rayman: Legends, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario Maker 2, Minecraft, all the Lego games (pick his favorite theme), Pokemon Let’s Go, Captain Toad’s Treasure Tracker, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Yoshi’s Crafted World, Zelda: Link’s Awakening, etc.

Honestly, it’s hard to go very wrong with most of the flasgship games on this platform.

Yeah, don’t overthink it. The popular games that have multiplayer are popular for very good reasons. Super Mario Party is excellent too if your youngster is just learning how to play videogames as the mini-games are simple and offer the control schemes you need for more complex games in a sampler format.

Cartridges vs. digital is probably the biggest question you need to answer.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Much appreciated. He’s mostly learning how to play and I don’t want to spend too much on a bunch of $60 games If possible - given the uncertainty of what he’ll end up enjoying. So your suggestions should be really helpful - thanks!

Towerfall is always a good time.

Yeah - games are expensive. If I were trying to limit myself to a budget for my youngest (also 7 years old), I think I’d go for:

• Minecraft. It’s never really clicked with me, but it’s a modern classic and undeniably a hit with kids. Also, fairly cheap. Lego Worlds could be an alternative, if the kid is really into Legos.
  • Rayman: Legends. One of the first games we got on the platform, and still a favorite. Immensely colorful and inventive - it’s also more forgiving than the Super Mario games. If you play with more than one player, and one of them is any good at platformers, you’re unlikely to ever get stuck on a level. Get the free demo to find out whether your kid likes it, and consider waiting for a sale for the 30-50% off.
  • Super Mario Party. Great party game, tons of fun mini-games. There’s bound to be something in there that your kid likes.
  • If your kid likes Legos, pick up a Lego game. If your kid has no preferred themes (Starwars, Ninjago or Super heroes), I’d go for the Lego City Undercover game. Also worth waiting for a sale, btw.
  • If you kid is into Pokemon, get Pokemon Let’s Go. Less pokemon variety, but it’s more forgiving than the mainstream game. There’s a free demo for this too.

All the Super Mario games are good, btw, so depending on what the kid is into (and skill level), I’d look to get all of them eventually. I anticipate that the new Animal Crossing coming out this month is also likely to become an instant favorite with my 7-year old.

Also, lot’s of games have free demos, including some first-party ones: Yoshi’s Crafted World, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, Kirby Star Allies, Pokemon let’s Go, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Snipperclips, and Rayman: Legends are all games who’s demos I’d download without a second thought for a seven year old. Only caveat is that your kid’s wishlist might suddenly explode.

Lego City Undercover—as strategy posted. This is both perfect for a seven year old and on sale all the time. Only drawback is ridiculously long load times.

I didn’t see Mario Kart, which has assist mode if your child is not super coordinated and keeps falling off the track, but you can turn this off any time. It may not be needed now that he’s seven.

At least it loads faster than it did on Wii U.

I wonder if Nintendo Life is biased.

I think if you are looking for biased coverage of Animal Crossing, today won’t be your day - all the coverage is from folks invited out to Nintendo UK. But also, why would you want to watch a preview from someone that themselves isn’t a fan of the franchise? For any franchise/genre?