Nintendo Switch

I think the Java version of Minecraft (the oldest one) is kind of an island compared to the others and won’t allow you to play with them. If you have the Windows 10 version, it should allow cross play.

To clarify, that’s a yes and cross platform as long as you’re talking about the “Bedrock Edition”, which is also what’s on iOS, Xbox, and available for the PC.

The Java edition is still available on PC as well, and that is slightly different (maybe more mod support too or something?), that’s not cross compatible with the others. So you just need to make sure you have the right PC version.

Here’s the official answer for reference:

Mac, PC, and Linux are all the Java edition. Realms for Java are Java only. These use Mojang accounts to login.

Almost everything else is Bedrock edition. Realms for Bedrock are Bedrock only. These use Xbox Live accounts to login.

Windows 10 can do either Java or Bedrock.

There are a few oddball versions on older platforms that are only compatible with themselves (Vita, PS3, new 3DS, WiiU) and no longer supported.

There are more standalone versions which were replaced with Bedrock versions on various platforms (Xbox One, Switch, PS4). The standalone are no longer for sale. If you purchased them you can still download and use them - but you also got a separate copy of the Bedrock version for free.

I guess I better pay for Nintendo’s backup service. Which angers me, because that really should be free.

And because I need to get it off my chest how stupid I was and so others can mock me: I wanted to get a screenshot off of my Switch to show someone. Turns out you can’t without Twitter or Facebook. So I just shoved the SD card into my laptop without thinking about it. Except the Switch uses Micro SDs and my laptop has a full size SD card readers. But the thickness is close enough that the thing wouldn’t just fall out. No amount of shaking or fishing with a paperclip would work. I opened up the laptop, and ruined the SD card reader (I will never use it anyway) to get it out. Put it back in my Switch, but it won’t read it. Pulled out the SD card and the top half just broke off. Guess I damaged it in the process.

Luckily it appears saves are all kept on the main system’s storage even when the game was on the card. So I don’t think I lost anything important. Just to be safe, I better pay Nintendo. Bastards.

I can’t believe I’m playing Final Fantasy XII on a portable!

Backlog, I curse thee and I love thee!

Nintendo’s backup system isn’t that great. Yesterday I had to deal with tears after I informed my children that their Splatoon 2 and Animal Crossing data was gone. Both games don’t use the cloud saves feature and they are stored on the internal memory of the switch.

My switch has been dead about 6 weeks. It doesn’t charge. I replaced the battery but it still wouldn’t charge. It looks like there is some damage on the USB-C port. It isn’t under warranty and Nintendo isn’t do repairs right now. I was finally able to buy a replacement switch after setting up alerts on NowInStock. The new switch won’t even accept the SDcard without reformatting. I also had to make my new switch ‘primary’ so that my children can play the games I bought digitally. It occurs to me now that I can fully charge the battery in another switch and swap the battery to the dead switch and transfer the data somehow…but I don’t think I’m ready to go that far.

In all, I’m very annoyed with Nintendo and wish they would enter the modern era and be a bit more consumer friendly.

And there isn’t any transfer function of ACNH data, even if you have the two systems together. It’s locked to the console, pending a still theoretical future update

I wanted to start a 2nd island, realized I’d have to buy another Switch and I’m reasonably sure :) that the pro controller would have to be resynced every time I used a different Switch. Really friendly setup they have going on.

My copy took ages to arrive, but I finally just wrapped up Final Fantasy V on Steam (after having enjoyed so thoroughly the FF7 Remaster, I have just been itching to be back in this universe), and this morning thought I’d kick off FFXII and see how it grabbed me.

It grabbed me hard. I didn’t expect to be as into this so soon (well, three years I suppose) after playing it to completion on the PS4, but here I am two hours in and only taking a break as my boy is visiting and wants to play Magic and watch some movies.

I’m mostly playing on the TV, it look incredible, just as good (or imperceivably different with ought a side by side comparison) to the PS4 version I played in 2017. But I did play a little in hand held to check that out and I love it, it looks and plays great there, as well. I took a few pics:

The opening story/cinematic is so incredible here that it pulled me right back into this world, like it always does. The characters, the License system, how combat works/flows, spells and items and cool equipment, everything about this game is just perfect to me, and I’m beyond excited to get back to it all over again.

Yeah, there’s something special about this game (and FF IX). Wish they could replicate that magic.

I was playing the Xbox One version just last summer and got about 3/4 of the way through (same as I did when it released on the PSOne), and stopped to play some other games and haven’t resumed, but I happily started a new game. Think I’ll go with different classes this time. And focus on the hunts which I hadn’t really done last time.

So, I made a dumb mistake. I wanted to take advantage of the Gamestop sale this weekend (Buy 2 NEW games Get 1 Free) - and I got the following: Control $30 and Walking Dead Definitive Series $30 for Xbox and God Eater 3 $30 for Switch.

Thing is, I have no freaking idea what God Eater 3 is! For some stupid reason, I was confusing it with God Wars and didn’t realize it until later (in my defense, it was late at night and I was half asleep!).

Has anyone here played God Eater 3? I saw it’s some kind of futuristic Monster Hunter-like, which I guess I wouldn’t mind. Though I think I got a couple of those for the Vita I never even got around to (Toukiden and Freedom Wars).

@rhamorim is playing it at the moment.

I played some of God Eater 2 Rage Burst on Steam and it was pretty good. As you surmise it’s a well-regarded Monster Hunter-like, Anime style. Similar game loop, all a bit faster and flashier. I’ll probably pick number 3 up at some point.

It hails from a similar era as those other games you mention, I think it started on PSP.

Yes, it’s an anime Monster Hunter type game that takes place in the future. It’s not quite as grindy as MH, but it’s up there. It’s also a little bit jankier, but battles don’t take nearly as long.

Yeah, “anime Monster Hunter” is somewhat accurate, but sells the game short. First, combat is not as “meaty” as in MH, though you do have more options in terms of skills and what not. Second, there’s a bigger focus on story and characters. Third, it’s leaner and faster and it plays differently.

That said… I’m loving God Eater 3. I really enjoyed God Eater Resurrection. God Eater 2 I didn’t like as much. God Eater 3 is much closer to Resurrection in pace and gameplay, though with a few QoL improvements and some new features that are pretty cool.

Just don’t expect Monster Hunter. The gameplay loop is similar but the two games play very differently.

Which is a good thing, because Switch already has one of the best Monster Hunter games there is. :)
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/monster-hunter-generations-ultimate-switch/

Leaner and faster MH, not quite as grindy? That is totally OK by me! I got Monster Hunter World on release and still haven’t put much time into it - just seems daunting, and I haven’t been able to find my groove with it. I played MH some years back on the PSP version and had a lot of fun with it, but that one seemed more streamlined (relatively).

Did the recent update add a filter for the ‘Deals’ page of the store? I only noticed it today and think there was an update yesterday or the day before. Regardless, it makes things sooooo much easier. If it’s been there for ages and I’m just seeing it, please don’t let me know how stupid I’ve been. :)

Ok. I won’t say a word.

I used to think the Xbox store was the worst possible implementation for consoles but then I bought a Switch.