Nintendo's 2016 Console Release - The NES Classic Edition

It is, but I’m looking forward to playing. There are enough games I don’t own or own in different places that I’m excited to play them all in one place with an original controller.

Blowing on the carts is fun, but this will be easier and in my living room too. :)

Electronics tinkerers are cool by me. Everyone has a hobby.

It is a tough sell for me on this little guy, as I own most of the games on that list, and… a rapberry pi 3 is like 35 bucks, and can pretty much do everything. 2 of these for 8 bucks a pop.

Much larger library as well, the USB SNES controller they make works quite well too.

I think it is a cool device, but this makes me want to get a raspberry pi emulation box built.

What makes me like emulators better than authentic recreation of the real thing are a few things:

1. I hate d-pads, always have, probably always will. So when I played NES games on a modded Xbox, that was great, since I could use an analog stick instead.

2. There are so many situations in these early games where the fast forward button on the emulator is a life saver. I loved ChronoTrigger on the SNES emulator on Xbox, for example, but I used that fast forward button all the time. It’s such a time save and annoyance saver.

3. Save anywhere feature on emulators is also something that makes these early games way more tolerable and better for modern sensibilities and responsibilities than the original vision.

So videos of the NES Classic are popping up since its release a few days ago.

It has save states and a few graphic options and the emulation seems pretty much fine. Getting USB NES controllers makes the deal even better. I’m kinda tempted, but it would be even more of a no-brainer if it had a few more games, especially some I’m pining for like Tetris, Contra, Blades of Steel, Duck Tales, Dragon Warrior and Crystalis.

It doesn’t ship til Friday in the US. November 11 is the official release date.

Not sure why they made the controller cord so short. 30 inches is way too small

Hmmmm. I read a bit too quickly. You get only one controller and it’s not USB either, it’s their proprietary port, the Wii one I think.

Agreed. I loved my NES, but I’ve found SNES games tend to hold up better in the modern era.

Just recently replayed through Link to the Past and Super Metroid and Super Mario World on my Wii. They’re all still 10/10, superlative games.

Yep… and with Super Mario All-Stars you can have those classics with better graphics to boot.

Just recently I found out about Yoshi’s Island. Holy shit! It’s SuperMarioWorld 2 ! I had no idea they made a SMW2. I guess when it had been released I had defected hardcore to the PC, enjoying Xwing and Xcom and all those things and left the kiddies to their toys… but now, I’m like… this is awesome.

Can someone remind me the name of the game ,platform,when boy kicking ball all the time ?

Everything?

Maybe :D 2D platform game.

Soccer kid? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0GGJnyp0A

And broken physics. :(

I remember this taking over the cover of Amiga Action at the time of release, and I really wanted it, but never got to buy/play it.

Watching the video: I’m kind of glad I didn’t!

Yup ! Thank you :)

ah!

So apparently these are sold out everywhere and going for $300 on eBay already. Yay eBay profiteers.