Nintendo's 2016 Console Release - The NES Classic Edition

Some more info from Eurogamer today – the device won’t connect to the internet or allow external storage to add games later, making it a true standalone. About what I expected (and I’m sure no external storage will make it harder to hack this thing) but there were a lot of questions and speculations around these features.

BOO to no Baseball Stars or Blades of Steel!

Mine’s only a few months older and I will be all over this as well!

Awww, that’s a shame.

I always forget SMB3 was a NES game. It’s such a high quality and for that system. (Even though we played it to death on my friends NES, I seem to always remember the SNES port more, the one in the All-star pack or whatever it was called)

Just watched the ad on the front page. This thing is going to sell like friggin’ hotcakes!

Pretty excellent list of games, can’t really complain but I would have loved to have had Bionic Commando.

I think flatscreen TVs have slain the home lightgun game. I keep an old JVC tube in my office for my Dreamcast.

Many lightgun games are available on Wii and Nintendo brought Duck Hunt to Wii U Virtual Console with a Wii remote as the controller. Not dead yet!

10 pictures of this at Cnet: http://www.cnet.com/pictures/2016-nintendo-nes-comic-con-gallery/

Looks great. I’ll even pre-order this from Amazon. I trust Nintendo on the emulation, which I’m picky about.

Just disappointed they did not go for a simple USB connector on the controller and in parallel release a driver for PC (assuming the controller is of good quality of course).

Isn’t that the same port that the Wii uses? Be sweet if I could plug in my Classic controller. Guarantee that’s more comfortable than the Mini’s NES replica.

From the Nintendo website on this thing (https://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic):

2P, PRESS START
Share the fun with a friend
Games like Pac-Man™, TECMO BOWL, and Dr. Mario™ are even better with a buddy. And you won’t have to fight over a controller.

Use your Classic Controller™ or Classic Controller Pro™ (sold separately), or buy a second NES Classic Controller.

It does use the same connector. So I wouldn’t be surprised if you can use it as a primary controller as well as a 2P controller.

Sweet! Thanks arrendek.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see that it’s a genuine NES chipset or adapted Playchoice 10 chipset, perhaps reduced to a single chip.

Jeremy Parish at USgamer speculates it might just be a repackaged Wii:

[quote=“USgamer”]
What kind of technology does it run on?

Most devices like this have shifted from system-on-a-chip hardware clones to Android-based emulators. This being Nintendo, though, there’s another possibility: The Classic Mini NES could be simply a repurposed Wii. However, Nintendo’s official line on this question is a “no comment”:

“We aren’t discussing technical specifications.”

So we’ll have to wait for the post-launch tear-downs. Many signs point to the Classic Mini NES running on Wii technology, though. Nintendo sold a revamped Wii model that removed wi-fi for $100; that makes a $60 price point perfectly reasonable for this device, since it drops the Wii’s two most expensive components (its optical drive and Motion Plus remote) and may not include other features such as Wii remote wireless support at all. Of course, Nintendo already has a quick and inexpensive line on NES game emulation for Wii available through Virtual Console, meaning quality testing on this thing would have cost approximately nothing. The only thing the Classic Mini NES can do that Wii couldn’t is output high-definition graphics via HDMI… something that could be enabled by a new graphics processor unit, which would cost very little at this point.

If it’s a Wii, what does that mean for the quality of the game emulation?

In theory, it should mean the games look pretty fantastic and control well. The Wii had much better NES emulation than Wii U and 3DS do, and the advantage that would be lost with the move to HDMI-based visuals (true 240p resolution support) would be made up for by the move away from standard-definition graphics (no upscaling lag). [/quote]

We need remastered Alladin

I will skip this but would totally pick up a Mini SNES.

I think a repurposed Wii is questionable because knowing Nintendo there is much profit here, and I doubt that at $60 MSRP they could have the innards of a Wii and include the controller.

We’ll find out soon enough!

Isn’t it funny how many folks can’t wait to take this thing apart, as opposed to, you know, playing it.