Nioh 2 - Turn demons into loot again

I basically get one/two shot, so having to play without getting hit is where the problem is. It wouldn’t be so bad if it didn’t take forever to take something down, but even when I’m ki breaking and punishing it still takes several iterations to bring bosses and the tougher Yoki down. Compared to your stats, I’ve got a lot less life (3600), less attack (2500), a bit less defense (3100), similar Ki (1150), and I started Wise at level 250. Probably under leveled (but leveling quickly in Wise). I’m full dex, but using Kusa so that scales fine. Looks like I need to focus on getting my attack up. Right now, I’m still in my Ninjutsu gear so that is likely where I’m missing some attack for the weapon.

Most of my gear is +20, I’ve stopped levelling it thinking I would need to find ethereal gear, but I’ll go try to find some non-grace videos and see if I can figure that out. Thanks!

I think you can work with all that. So you already have change to attack dexterity A tempered on your kusa? Looks like it’s now called attack bonus. If not, make sure you don’t already have an affix in the same damage category. You can only have one per section. If you do, just re-temper that one until you see a purple attack bonus dexterity. It makes a huge difference.

I assume you also remodeled your kusa to max out dexterity at the expense of the other 2 scaling stats and you’re at 100+ dexterity.

Then I suggest getting as close to 70% equipment weight as you can without going over, and pumping constitution to at least 100 or so. I assume you’re using 4 quick change scrolls to come back to life. You can also join Tokugawa clan. It gives you a 30% chance to survive a one-shot hit.

All that plus another 100 levels and you’ll be fine!

I am considering buying Nioh 1 once I am done with Nioh 2 (is possible to get it done with nioh2?).

I am getting much better at the game, but I don’t know how much of that is because my gear, and how much is getting better.

Oh god, theres a lot of game in here.

And finnaly, so my post render to total non-sense. I am really bad player now. I was terrible and improved.

@TimJames thanks. I hadn’t remodeled to increase the dex benefit. No idea why, since I did that with other weapons when I was building proficiency on them. I think I just thought it couldn’t get better since dex is the Kusa main stat. Just doing that got me another 200 attack.

I’ve actually stopped using quick change scrolls. I feel like I die immediately after reviving 75% of the time, so I just thought it wasn’t worth it. Against humans, they work fine since I typically drop on top of them, but that’s not really where I’m having a hard time. If there is some trick to getting away from the (seemingly inevitable) follow up attack from Yokai, then I’d love to know what it is.

They seem kind of unreliable, sometimes I don’t even notice if they ever went off before I just die.

The only trick is with yokai you typically do NOT want to do the plunging attack. Just fall naturally because it’s faster.

Then if you make it to the ground, you still need to be able to dodge, run away, or find the right gap to heal and reapply. Of course if you can do this reliably against that enemy then you’re less likely to need the scroll in the first place.

If you plan to abandon your throwing build completely, you could take the other ninjutsu mastery to apply scrolls faster. If not then don’t worry about it.

I think I’m going to try this build. Just farmed the smithing text for the armor and swords, now just need to forge the armor up to +20ish and get a decent weapon with purity on it. I think I’ll try with the dual swords rather than fists, but it’ll depend on whatever decent purity weapon I get first.

Hit a wall again. Magara Naotaka. That is a BIG sword.

Which weapon are you using? I think I oneshot the dude with the axe. Currently cruising through DLCs with a tonfa (Tengu DLC final boss was oneshot too) - it really feels like this game is much easier than the first one.

I don’t see how that would be even possible, unless you’re level 300 in the normal difficulty. I’m using the axe up to my level (63/64, I think?) and it tickles him. He has a lot of health.

Well, just to report back in case anyone is interested. This build is really good. I crafted basic divine gear and got it to +3ish, didn’t temper anything, and just cruised through the first level of Dream of the Wise. I think I died 3 times, mainly because I’m still figuring out how to play the build. It took a little more time than I’d like to kill things, but considering my attack is only at 1600 that kind of makes sense. Once I optimize this and get decent gear it should go reasonably fast.

The self healing is really awesome, I barely used elixirs. Several enemies that I used to be irritated by (like hags) are just not even an issue with this. I break their Ki so fast, they are basically stun locked.

I’m a little floored at how easy that was. Took me probably an hour or two to farm for the smithing text, forge the basic set, and respec, and then I was on my way. I actually thought for a bit that I had selected the wrong difficulty.

I think I had been playing the game in hard mode. I rescind everything good I’ve ever said about the Kusa… (kinda, I still like it a little bit).

I played all the DLC2 on NG+2 and I felt like it was a nice difficulty balance. The sequel is easier overall because you have more tools and there aren’t really any double boss fights or anything crazy. Plus you’re already familiar with how to play.

@rhamorim Generally if you’re using a weapon roughly at the same level as the ones you find in the current mission, you should be doing decent damage without any extra build tweaks. What attacks are you using? I’d run around in low stance, then switch to high stance strong attack for that double cartwheel attack.

@Effidian Great news - I guess? Haha. If you’re breaking ki faster, you’re making yourself a lot safer since the enemy won’t be attacking. Those hags (yamanba) actually stagger on any hit I think. I bet what’s happening is the dual swords have such good forward carry that you’re staying on top of them. Just watch out for the grabs and the burst attacks!

I’m actually playing with fists, but I think they are similar in their forward motion. So probably.

Sounds good. I don’t know how to do good damage with the fists so hopefully the build video explained everything. Even if you get your attack rating up to par, it might still take a while to do damage, so abuse those ki breaks I guess.

If you ever have to switch weapons, it’s pretty easy. There’s only one thing to deal with, unlike a 5 piece armor set (which can probably take you through the rest of the game if you keep upgrading it). Just find a good weapon drop and temper it to your liking. You might need to soul match a few plus levels but that’s not too bad. There’s no need to forge weapons in this game once you reach NG+3 or so.

I even forgot I actually built my stats for dual swords (skill), no wonder my attack is so low. I guess I should respec to strength until I find a purity sword since I can’t remodel the fist for skill.

Yeah, I don’t expect to use the forge much unless I need different gear. I tempered my accessories to have Lucky Find Weapons, Armor and Accessories on them so I’m hopeful that I’ll get some upgrades just by playing. Already got a +21 divine purity fist, so that’s a good start.

Very good. I haven’t messed with lucky find yet so you’re already ahead of me.

Looks like fists and dual swords share both heart and strength. You might consider remodeling both of them to heart to get more ki. But I assume your armor has a pretty high strength requirement.

Eventually you’ll have both at 200 so it doesn’t really matter!

Axe, mostly high stance for the double cartwheel attack. I do some damage, but the boss has a lot of health. I got him down to 10% or something at one point, so it’s a matter of time until I beat it. But it’s far, FAR from being able to down him in one hit or 10. ;)

I think the DLCs are 150, I am at ~160-162 with a 160+2 Tonfa. Maybe ~10% dps more than expected at this level? Perhaps @TimJames could judge better.

Oh and if by oneshot you mean actual oneshot, then hahahaha NO! What I meant with that the boss(es) go down on first attempt without reading up on them first or doing any kind of preparation.

I haven’t looked at the video yet, but would it work with other weapons besides fists? I’m not really a fan of them, even though I am trying to be.

I’d think it would work with any purity weapon, but there could be a mechanic in there I’m not aware of. As soon as I get some purity dual swords I’m going to try with that.