Nioh 2 - Turn demons into loot again

Yeah, as I said, different people struggle with different bosses. Which for me is a great sign of how the game is able to provide challenge to different playstyles, and how certain playstyles will make bosses easier or harder. I think that’s awesome.

He has lots of HP but telegraphs attacks. Later on in the various NG+es, I found him to be one of my most reliable farms.

Is that the ice guy with the big sweeping attacks of his sword? I hated that guy. It was one of those things where his attacks were just off-time with how my brain wanted to operate. I knew the patterns, knew what he would do, I was always just off-time. He killed me over and over and over and I was super frustrated because I knew what I needed to do, I just failed at execution time and time again.

But Tatarimokke, which was discussed upthread? Probably easiest fight in the entire game for me. It’s fascinating to me how/where the difficulty is for different players, different playstyles, etc.

GYUKI!!!

Been trying for 3 days… frustration mounting.

NEVER MIND! He hath been vanquished.

This is the power of the frustration thread post.

I can’t even get through the tutorial. It says I need to drain the dumb enemy’s ki before I can grapple them but nothing I do does anything but kill them. Googling doesn’t help, there are 300 people asking this Q and its like every answer is “you are too fucking stupid to play this game”

Edit: so the answer is switch stances and figure out one that will remove ki enough but not kill the opponent too fast and then grapple.

With GYUKI what worked for me is having a inventory full of range attacks, bombs, firebottles and stuff like that. But I never play alone, so maybe going solo require different strategies.

Congrats on killing it.

Thanks! Working my way to the end of this thing… I just defeated drunken Shuten Doji.

This is a really great game.

I’m that tutorial, do they make you select a skill, like the sword’s kick attack? Certain moves do more ki damage.

I don’t even remember that part. Grappling is kinda wonky in my experience, not that that’s the bit you had trouble with.

Don’t sweat it. I’m ‘M working on returning it. Can’t get past first battle, don’t care to have to watch hours of YouTube to figure it out.

Sounds like you may have hit a bug in the tutorial, I thought you could just block them until they ran out of ki. It’s been a while though so maybe I’m misremembering.

No hours of youtube required for any of the boss fights, just some persistence. Helps to take a break when frustrated too, in any of these games. That being said, if you’re not having fun then refund is the way to go.

I mean a giant brick wall on first enemy encountered is enough for me. There’s nothing to even warm up against and figure out how the combat even fucking works….

I hear you. It took me a long time to get through the first three bosses.

It helped me to think of it as a roguelite. Dying at the last boss wasn’t a failure per se. I still accumulated items and “souls” on my way through the level. Donated the items at a shrine for extra souls/xp, leveled up my stats some more, etc. Eventually I dropped the jerk.

Wait, let me rewind a bit. When you say first battle, do you mean the boss at the end of the level? Or do you mean the giant minotaur looking guy right at the start? If it’s right at the very start, it’s not intended that you fight your way past him. Run past him up the ledge which allows you to open the shortcut back to the start so you can completely bypass him without running/sneaking past.

When he said “tutorial” I assumed he meant the “Basic Actions” thing you can do before getting going with the game. This:

So, I have a question about this. I just picked it up for PS5, and I’m a long time souls fan. I am confused about the stances. Do people generally pick the one that fits their style and stick with it, or are you supposed to switch styles depending on bad guys, or situations, or… something I don’t know yet? Coming from Soulsborne, there are a lot of combo buttons in this thing, and it’s not a bad thing… but there are a few confusing mechanics.

Actually I think from the notes in that area you are meant to skip him and sneak around, and possibly come back to him later.

You want to switch stances as the situation dictates but my recommendation at the start is to just stick with a stance until you get really comfortable with it.

High = power stance, but heavy on ki use and can leave you more vulnerable.
Mid = balanced, typically good block/defense.
Low = low damage, but lo ki consumption and more mobility.

Thanks. That is kind of what I thought. I’m doing mid-stance, and I picked the cool staff that splits apart thingy, and the twin axes because they had similar stats to boost. Having fun with both so far.

Nice! Splitstaff is what I spent the majority of my time with. I like that weapon a lot, very versatile.