No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

I started my first game ever (Survival) about a week ago on a brutal frozen planet. I was struggling immensely as the resource distribution and points of interest were making traversal extremely difficult. I kept dying over and over despite trying new techniques and tactics. I eventually got fed up and deleted my saves to reroll a new starting planet. Deleting my initial saves actually was a sad moment since I had grown somewhat fond of my first planet despite the difficulties.

My new starting planet was the polar opposite and introduced brutal heat along with some radiation and toxicity. Despite that I was able to transfer the skills I had learned in my previous game to here along with some aspects like building save points and signal boosters that I completely missed on my first go around. My newer planet also has an extensive subterranean cave system that allows me to travel long distances on the planet being shielded by the extremes of the atmosphere. I haven’t made it to my ship yet but I have made a healthy amount of progress otherwise.

I am really enjoying the beginning of the Survival game. It’s not as atmospheric or fleshed out as something like STALKER but it leaves a similar and compelling impression. I set out in random directions amongst a very hostile environment and hope I can find some structures, caves, or resources to keep me alive long enough to achieve my next objective. This is exploration at its purest with lots of serendipity, neat surprises, and obstacles to overcome against the gorgeous backgrounds of 70’s Sci-Fi book covers.

The fauna leave a bit to be desired and haven’t added much to the experience. The vistas, alien technology, and aural design make up for that though.

Regarding the post-processing visual effect you can choose in the menus has anyone settled on a different one than the default option?