No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Really?? Damn. I need to pay more attention to the UI cues!

I have a question about the Artemis main story path.

I followed the Artemis missions up until a monolith sent me to a portal gate. I activated it and stepped through and had a weird encounter with what might have been Atlas? In any case, when it was over, I was 700 light years from home and no way to get back so I just reloaded.

So what should I do? Just wait until later to do this? Should I do the Atlas path first and come back to this much later?

You and me both.

The Starport teleport is your friend. Get to your ship, get to the starport, teleport back to your base.

When teleporting away from your base, I’ve found that the top listed port is the one you’ve just come from.

There’s two of those missions on the Artemis path, BTW.

A few basic questions, on PS4 in case it matters:

• Can you set a custom waypoint when looking at something?
  • What’s the best way to find upgraded multi-tools, what should I be looking for?
  • In my new playthrough of 2-3 hours total so far, I’m following the Atlas path. Will that include the new story stuff? Or should I be following a different path instead?

On a planet or moon you can put down a beacon that I think is visible from anywhere in that system. And in the galactic map you can set a custom waypoint on a given system through the UI.

What’s the best way to find upgraded multi-tools, what should I be looking for?

Personally, I lucked out big time early on in my current session when I spoke with a Vy’keen in a space station. Scored a free, awesome multitool that’s better than everything I’ve found since, so talk to everyone you meet. Alternatively, multitools can be purchased in space stations and planet buildings. What to look for is a tougher question; personally I just look for tools with more slots available.

In my new playthrough of 2-3 hours total so far, I’m following the Atlas path. Will that include the new story stuff?

I think some of the new story content is in the Atlas Path, and more in the Artemis quests. Not sure as I’m still mostly freestyling.

When I went through that portal, my ship was on the same planet I ended up on. It was a bit of a walk, and needed a couple repairs (presumably so I couldn’t call it?) - but it was there, with all its stuff.

It’s really fun when:
a) Your ship is 9 minutes away;
b) There’s a stretch of ocean between you and your ship.

I had to find a narrow spot to cross over, so the whole trip took me probably close to 45 minutes.

At least I was on a decent – if slightly chilly – planet for that one. If it had been one of those murderous EXTREME wonders I probably would have rage-uninstalled right there.

Mine was pretty benign too, and no ocean. Maybe it won’t dump you on impossible worlds? I can’t recall if you have the terraforming add-on at that point, but it would make harsher conditions a bit more survivable?

It was a nice little interlude, but I certainly got a little adrenaline flash of ‘where’s my ship?’ when I first got there, before spying the hud marker. :)

1.34 Patch Notes:

• Fixed an issue where large numbers of portal visits would be added to save files, greatly increasing the save size and impeding the ability to save the game. We’re aware there are still some players experiencing this issue, and we’re currently investigating any remaining reports.
  • Prevented the terrain editor draining in charge when editing empty voxels
  • Prevented players being able to edit terrain outside their base radius for free while standing inside their base
  • Fixed responses made to Artemis and Apollo at times being incorrectly tracked
  • Prevented players being blocked from progressing if they decline to enter glyphs into a particular story portal
  • Fixed instances where Atlas text was appearing as though it came from an NPC
  • Fixed FoV in photo mode showing degrees as a temperature
  • The discovery screen will now show images from a larger number of visited waypoints
  • Added a placeholder image in cases where a waypoint image is not available
  • Allowed scrolling of names on the discovery page which are too long to be displayed
  • Fixed a graphical issue where a blur effect would be applied while teleporting
  • Improved prioritisation of systems you have teleported from when listing your most recent teleport locations
  • Altered teleporters in space stations to allow players to teleport directly to other stations as well as to their base
  • Improved ordering of icons on the galactic map to more accurately indicate missions and system information
  • Increased maximum number of paths which can be rendered in the galactic map
  • Improved appearance of the message displayed when your starship is out of range
  • Fixed warning symbol on broken tech appearing too small
  • Fixed an issue that sometimes caused glyphs not to be awarded correctly
  • Fixed an issue in tutorial messaging when you repair your pulse drive but nothing else before entering your ship
  • Added the amount of units you will earn for a discovery to the Analysis Visor interface
  • Added correct emotion animations for various interactions with NPCs
  • Fixed an issue when claiming a new base location (which caused base NPCs to stop responding)

Not exactly sure what “The discovery screen will now show images from a larger number of visited waypoints” means yet.

So I got the issue where an Atlas station offers no options when interacting with it. What’s the deal there?

Dunno but someone on reddit says:

I fixed my interface.
I loaded a save before entering bugged station, warped to previous one before entering bugged one (when you enter bugged atlas station you will receive mission update “find next interface”, so don’t enter it).
Got mission update “found anomaly or smth like that”. Warped back to bugged. Got mission update “speak to Atlas”.
Done.

That sounds quite the ordeal. Not sure I have such a save anymore as I went on to play for a bit after leaving it.

edit: I found this

If you are having the problem where no text appears. Fly around until you find a new Anomaly and request aid with following Atlas. If you request anything else from Nada it will stop the progress on the Atlas path. Once you find Nada and ask for help with the Atlas stuff it will continue on like normal when you go to the next Atlas station that Nada points out.

But there is potential issue of missing/skipping one of the recipes the interface doles out.

I’ve had a couple of bugs on the Artemis quest (Scientist not showing up on galaxy map, Anomaly showing up on map but actually not showing up in-world). Saving, quitting completely out and going back in fixed it (took two quits for the Anomaly, go figure).

Hm. It’s not much, but sometimes you get the actual screenshot of the place in the waypoint on the discovery screen, but if you visited a whole lot, the earlier ones will just be a gray square.

So does the “30-hour” campaign include travel time?! Sheesh, these aliens have me going back and forth from my base to the nearest space station that takes like 20 minutes REAL TIME to get to, using pulse jump. It’s insane. So now, I’ve got to locate a Korvax(?) scientist which means locating a Korvax system! How the hell…? How does one do that?

IIRC the system should be marked in the galactic map.

Unfortunately, I’m stuck on the same or an adjacent mission; supposed to locate a Korvax Convergence Cube, which is supposed to be available on the market and in boxes found on planets, but nope, not for me.

If you’ve got a base, use the teleporter. Cuts down on travel time quite a bit… ;)

For me most of the personel were available at the one station. There should be quest markers, if you have the quest selected - it will show the system you need to go to in the galaxy map, if it’s outside your local.

The galaxy map shows ‘dominant lifeform’ on the left of the screen for the currently highlighted system. There’s also a filter which shows stars’ dominant lifeform by colour (up/down on the dpad cycles filters). The light blue is Korvax.

I’ve found hundreds of those things. :) Mostly in the green boxes.

Is space combat really this bad or do I hate it because I’m playing with a controller and not my HOTAS?