No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

I wondered that myself, but if so they seem awfully sparse unless they utilize a proximity filter (a system discovered by another player should generally have a line of discovered systems leading from it in at least one direction, with the exception of starting systems).

Yeah, that’s a really good comparison. I just don’t like No Man’s Sky enough to play on survival yet. It was a real relief dialing it back down to adventure mode, or whatever baby mode is called.

Has anyone done much farming? In the sense of growing crops? Can you really be a space farmer, or is that just a little side activity in the base building?

-Tom

It’s useful for getting large amounts of the ice material you need to make glass.

Yeah, you really can. Some folks are making 15 - 30 million units an hour with dedicated farms like this.

I want to make sure I have this right so I don’t screw up my old game forever. If I download the save to a USB stick, I can start a new game. Then when I get angry and frustrated because it’s too much grind and will take me forever to get where I was last year, I can just copy that savefile back to my PS4? My concern is if it does some kind of weird on-line syncing thing? I’ve never quite figured out this part of Sony Online since I get errors all the time abut different games not being able to upload even though there’s “space available”, and what takes priority, and the online syncing can even be turned off?

They added a toggle for Celsius/Fahrenheit in Settings.

Anyone tried Mods? I found a few that really helped me enjoy the game slightly more. Like removing random sentinels from wandering by every 10 seconds. Also, extending the ship to suit transfer range was wonderful.

Anyone have recommendations?

I’ve barely touched the game, but I’m curious as well. Especially about the mod that lets me just hit the mouse or controller button without holding it down.

I found that one, it’s call the Fast Actions mod. I installed it as well, very nice.
Fast Actions Mod at Nexus Mods

Yes, you can do just that. Online synching can be turned off, just in case. It’s in the PS+ menu I think.

I did it myself to enter the center of the galaxy, then brought back the old save file because you can’t come back from that.

You can’t load one of the previous 4 (or however many) saves?

For what it’s worth, you can load from any of the three saves in the Save menu. I think Jeff’s “save” is probably an archive of all three saves from a previous session. And I’ve seen folks on reddit and elsewhere talk about having success with reverting via USB stick (with online syncing disabled).

Learned that some missions involve transporting a specific item, and if you don’t take note of it when you take the mission there is a risk of accidentally selling it and failing your mission. I went in assuming that the item would have some sort of icon or whatever to indicate that it was tied to a mission and I was wrong. To be clear you can sell the item and later replace it, so long as you don’t visit the delivery location without the item in your inventory.

Typical Millenials all staring at their phones instead of talking to each other.

Insert thumbs up emoji here.

I got this: 👍🏼

Austin Walker from Waypoint talked a bunch about No Man’s Sky’s new story missions on their Monday podcast. Really sounds awesome and surprising, and makes me want to spend more hours getting into it!

I love it when stuff like this happens. And all without actual multiplayer.

I discovered that the red dots you see on your radar while flying low over a planet are crashed ships. You can also hit the 1 key (on PC) to target them. This has allowed me to find a ton of crashes.

I was flying along towards my base in my fighter the other day and another crashed ship pops up on radar. I’d long since given up on the idea of finding something better than my Class A fighter with 25 slots but I like the nice blueprints and other goodies you can get from crash sites so I always stop to investigate them.

This crash this time was a really big boy. A big red hauler. The text on the distress beacon dialog was unusual, saying something about the ship being pristine and undamaged and no pilot body. Apparently he just walked away.

I checked the ship and it was a Class A 48 slot hauler with an additional 8 tech slots. I could not believe it. Only 19 of the 48 slots were undamaged but I went ahead and made the switch. I was really happy to see that the slot repairs were really low at first (first one was only 11,000 units). So I was able to repair a bunch of them right away. When repaired, the overall value of the thing is over 100,000,000 units so I’m pretty happy with everything except for the way the ship looks. It has boxes for wings and is pretty darn ugly. But I’ll take it!