No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

90 million. HTH do you get 90 million in NMS? I wouldn’t die of boredom but of old age mining iridium before i reached 90 million.

I think farming is where the serious money is, right? I’m fairly close to being able to build a farm.

Oh, i got bored before building a base. I sort of looked through the base building menu, built a couple of blank dome-y things after recruiting some beaky engineer, went “nah” and dropped out. I didn’t know why i wanted to build a base. I didn’t know bases were self sufficient, they just looked like faff to store your vehicles, which also looked like faff, because there was nothing to do on planets.

Yeah, the fact that you can store vehicles… That you can only use on that planet? It’s kind of pointless.

As you say, there’s not much to actually do on any single planet.

The fast Rover is fun to drive though, fully upgraded, because you can just sort of jump across the terrain, constantly launching yourself way into the air.

It’s also not true. You can build the exocraft pad on any planet as of 1.22 in March.

They’re also a source of blueprints.

Oh, if you build a pad in some other planet, then you get your little Rover there? The same upgraded one?

Or are you just creating a whole new one?

I’m pretty sure it’s the same one*, but I haven’t tried it. With inventory and all. Same way the storage containers work (which are another good thing about bases). :)

*there’s 3 different types btw in case you were unaware.

I am still loving my Survival game despite the challenge. Every milestone feels truly earned. I like the feeling of existing as a lone survivor in a mostly uncaring universe full of hostile planets (and in the game).

Also I cannot stop taking screenshots in this game! So many excellent opportunities and the photo mode is icing on the cake. Hello Games definitely delivered on the aesthetic mood and presentation within NMS. reminds me of browsing books in the speculative fiction section of bookstores letting my imagination run wild decades ago.

I made 20 million units this evening with my Living Glass farm. Not bad for an hour’s work.

I spent the rest of my time hunting down a planet that had Kelp Sac plants. Finally found it on a Paradise planet and built my base landing pad at long last. Too bad I can’t land on it myself because apparently the Trader NPC ships are attracted to it like flies. I can see now I’ll need to build a few more so I’ll always have a landing spot free.

Haha! Oh boy…

I can see now I’ll need to build a few more so I’ll always have a landing spot free.

I read somewhere that building more than one was currently dangerous/broken in some way? Might want to check up before doing it.

Here’s a question:
If I build a base, and then build another one somewhere else… does it destroy the first one?

I know I can only have one home base, but what actually happens to the previous one?

People hated on the Mako in the first Mass Effect, but I loved it. Trying to get it into impossible locations, the top of mountains, and then launching myself as far as I could go? Never got old for me.

I’m pretty sure it destroys the first one. Also, you are refunded 2/3 of the materials (not sure of the actual numbers, could be less on survival/perma) which are put into that bin at the entreance of the new base.

So if you can, unbuild your more precious stuff manually, which gives back 100% of materials.

Also note that stuff in storage containers is persistent. When you rebuild one, it will still have your stuff in it.

Yeah, the storage container keeping stuff is key info… I was a bit miffed when I didn’t get the stuff in the container back when I changed bases, but then once I built the storage again, and it was all there, it was cool.

I kind of wish that you could see all the containers from one view though. Having to remember what is in which of 10 different containers, each with only 5 slots, is annoying.

I ended up painting the containers the same color as what is inside them.

That’d be great. As would being able to access ship inventory while interacting with them.

So my Permadeath file got reset to the very beginning? How/when did that happen? I think I saw a popup once, but I don’t remember much about it. My Normal save file still works, though.

It’s a shame. I had a base set up to help others get the base-finding trophy. It was a public service base, really.

That’s a great shot! Wallpaper worthy.

I took a fish head,
Out to see a movie,
Didn’t have to pay
To get it in