No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

So my quest to find the ultimate Hauler continues. Last night, with the assistance of The Pilgrim Star Path I plotted my position in the Euclid galaxy and the positions of several known recently reported sightings of S-Class 48/8 Fan-In-Wing Haulers (thanks Reddit!) and started dropping through Black Holes. The object is to arrive on the other side of a Black Hole and find myself close enough to one of the reported positions that I can then standard warp over to it (so I need to land within 20 jumps or so of a hauler position). So far the closest I’ve come is 58 jumps away…not quite good enough.

I did run into a very interesting looking 48-slot A-Class Hauler on my hunt though. It was one of the ones with the row of orb storage units under each wing. The ship was reddish-brown (rust color?) and the storage orbs GLOWED with blue LED light. It was night when it landed, and it looked pretty impressive. I failed to take a picture or log coordinates because it was late and I was tired, but this morning I was checking out Reddit and discovered “Glowing Baller Haulers” are pretty sought after, so I wish I’d at least logged the coordinates to share with others. =(

I also did some more digging into my missing base situation, and it is indeed completely gone. It’s like the 1.58 Update obliterated the planet my base was on, as it simply doesn’t exist anymore. I wonder if it got turned into one of the planets being used for the community event? I’m just going to have to cross my fingers that it was archived and that when I build a new base somewhere else all the items will come back when I restore the base or rebuild the storage containers. It’s not that important to me right now, but eventually I will really want all those resources back.

Regarding the exocraft. I though I saw someone ask how I liked the mining laser in it, but I don’t see that comment now. Let me state the mining laser in the exo is awesome. It isn’t ‘advanced’ (so certain structures you can’t mine), but it is a Terrain Manipulator- at least for mining nodes. So you can’t actually build/dig tunnels, but you can mine resource nodes from directly in the vehicle, and it cleans them out exactly, leaving a nice smooth hole in the ground. I now have the rover fully upgraded (finished the vehicle quest line)- it only has a few slots left open, but it performs like a dream. Neat thing- everything in it is recharged by oxy/carbon/condensed carbon. No mucking about with other elements for the gun/mining tool/life support.

I’ve only played a bit with the other two vehicles.

That is very strange about no hyperdrive. Is it even possible to disassemble it (at least in one’s starting ship)? The only thing I can think of otherwise is that maybe you built the first one in one of the ship’s tech slots (assuming the game lets you do that)?

Basic ship equipment can’t be dismantled. Only upgrades. IIRC you may have had to repair the original ship hyperdrive but not build it.

Well then it must just be a weird bug. Heaven knows the inventory slots are super janky in this 1.58 patch.

I am hoping they patch the rewards for the mission thing soon. I never get quicksilver always a C class part, its the same one every time too.

You can only receive Quicksilver for doing the Polo mission to gather the new Hex Cores. Gather 25 or 50 and signal him with your communicator and he’ll trade you Quicksilver for them. The other, bugged rewards (always get a B-Class Exosuit module or a C-Class ship shield module) are the rewards for the regular Polo and Nada interactions.

Huh thanks, I have not seen that even though i am at stage 8 or something of the Atlas path. Weird.

Oh no, not again…

Not what again?

Turn in your nerd card.

Yeah, I’m convinced it was a bug, but emphasis on past tense ‘was.’ I crafted more warp fuel, and the hyperdrive then reappeared, and I was able to warp back to my home system, finally. Very odd, but the Awakenings storyline finally advanced. So I’m good to go!

Congrats!

Spent a little more time last night playing Black Hole Roulette, but still can’t get close enough to any of the systems where my dream haulers are supposedly located to make it worthwhile. I may. however, have discovered a different tactic to try.

When I started the night, I possessed five portal glyphs I’d learned from visiting traveler graves over 100+ hours of play. Last night, while Black Hole jumping, I found at least one traveler in each space station I visited in either the system that contained the Black Hole or the one I was deposited into after going through a Black Hole. I’m not sure if this was coincidence, or if there is a much higher chance of a traveler being located in a Black Hole system. In any event, I am now up to 9 portal glyphs, and I may spend the next couple of nights trying to reach all 16, as that would allow me to simply Portal to the proper system to find my haulers…no Black Holes required.

On two of the stations I actually encountered TWO travelers. I’d never seen two travelers together in the same place before. Oddly, after speaking to the first one and having him reveal his gravesite location, I returned, spoke to the second traveler, paid the 100 nanites to reveal his gravesite, and it was the EXACT SAME gravesite of the other traveler. When I visited it a second time, it would not activate. So much for those 100 nanites. Ah well, since glyphs are revealed in order from 1-16, I just need to find seven more travelers to complete my set. Shouldn’t be hard if I continue Black Hole jumping and travelers really are more common in those systems.

I wonder, are you fully exiting the system and re-entering it before speaking to the second traveler (or are they already in different systems)? Things like that seem to get hung in that way due to the way systems spawn stuff, I’ve read. I have not played around with any of the content related to this, so forgive the ignorant question.

So biodomes don’t really seem to cut it for serious farming operations. They’re fine for producing Coprite, Frostwort, Gamma Weed and Star Bulb crops but they’re terrible for Cactus Flesh and Solanium because those plants grow too slowly.

Biodomes are also annoying to use, in practice. When installed on an upper level, you have to cope with ladders all the time as you run around your base, and one of my biodomes cannot even be entered or exited at all via the normal doorway.

So for improved Cactus Flesh and Solanium production, I’m thinking I will create a separate building nearby – this time a large box built with parts – and fill it with large hydroponic trays. That will require keeping a lot more Carbon on-hand to keep the trays running, but the yields should be better. I’ll probably explore nearby systems as well, and set up remote bases near patches. Remote bases are super cheap and easy to set up, I’m finding, so it’s worthwhile keeping materials and parts on-hand while out and about.

I’m also learning a bit more about fleet expeditions. Currently I have seven Class C frigates, and progress is pretty slow. Roughly half my frigates make it back without damage, and repairing the damaged frigates is super annoying, as has already been discussed everywhere on the internet. Not only is it annoying to run around looking for damaged spots, but often I get frigates that report damage but actually have none.

I also find it annoying that there’s no way to know which command stations correspond to which expeditions, and there’s no way to know which expeditions are complete when looking at a command station without interacting with it first, or the fleet terminal (which is inconveniently located, IMO). I’d like to see them add visual indicators to command stations showing the name of the ship, whether it is out on an expedition or has returned or is awaiting repair, etc. Bonus: give us a remote interface for checking this stuff.

And that cool-down timer! Boy, it’s sure frustrating having to wait 24 hours or whatever before I can send frigates out again. But then, I suppose having 24 hours of shore leave is more than reasonable compensation for my ship captains, who apparently don’t even get paid unless they’re taking a cut under the table or something.

That’s actually a fantastic question and a great idea. I did NOT exit and re-enter the system, either through warp or by closing and restarting the game. I should try that next time I find two travelers in the same location and see if it allows me to take advantage of the second one after completing the first and exiting the system/game. That would certainly save me some time. I just wrote it off as a glitch, but you are on to something…

Warping out is what I meant. I suspect restarting the game retains the current spawn values of the system you’re currently occupying, but that’s just an assumption.

Weird, I spent an hour or so last night doing this, I only found modules. No blueprints. Also checked out a few crashed freighters, but they only yielded basic stuff like launch fuel.