No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Not required. But after the last big content patch, it crapped up the biome where my base was. I know, I could have moved it. But when I haven’t played in a while I find starting over helps me get back into it.

Damn. I haven’t entered a single armored door yet. +1 to motivation to play again, thanks.

PSA: From my recent game, restarted due to bugs*(PSA#2).

I did a clean install, repair, cleared old saves, cleared cache, etc. And still on the new save I got two bugs. One was where the base computer quests never really start, and Artemis quest line disappears, and also the no free freighter. For the base computer/Artemis bug, they seem linked, just keep warping. Ship warp with cell, not the portal. I was halfway through my base staff quests and on a warp into a new system it must have done a sanity check and the game restarted both quests.

For the freighter, I don’t know how to get the free one but I can keep the dialog from staying open and glitched if you decide not to purchase the first freighter with units. Close dialog and rehail the captain. The now glitched dialog will look like: Salute | Leave | Buy | Leave. Four choices, two "Leave"s. Chose Salute. That seems to signal you are not purchasing. If you leave without saluting or buying then future dialogs glitch too.

(PSA#2) If you played a save in an experimental branch and didn’t make a backed up save first and roll back your own save to the one never played in experimental, manually, you may have more bugs. I restarted to see how many of my other issues were due to this.

Figured I’d throw this out for anyone restarting with biome changes. Hopefully they either fixed these or this still works after the patch.

(And I now have the randomly receive blueprint/item when portalling thing, happens after full inventory, so I wonder if it isn’t “leaving system” clean up code?)

Visions is out on all platforms.

I’ll try and dip my toe back in the NMS waters again this weekend, I have to give the developers credit for supporting this game with some of the best free updates I’ve ever seen. I just wish exploration was rewarding, as I just get bored so quickly playing this.

Are we Steam friends? If not, friend me and I’ll look for you when I am online. If you play co-op with someone for a session or two it can help overcome most of your problems fairly easily. I don’t mind spending time mining resources to help other people along, and I’ve got more nanites then I could possibly need at this point, so I don’t mind using some to purchase a couple of upgrades to pass along either. Once you get the ball rolling on resources, money and upgrades it becomes a domino effect that makes the game a hell of a lot easier. Heck, just putting in a trio of S-class Scanner upgrades will net you tens to hundreds of thousands of units each just for scanning new creatures and flora. Game changer.

Thanks I will add, sounds like fun to try. It may be hard to align though since I’m in the midst of a home renovation.

No Man’s Sky is a textbook example of redemption. I hope their sales continue for years to come. So much love for them on Twitter.

Well, if anything else wins the ‘Labor of Love’ on the Steam Awards it’ll be a grave misjustice!

I have to give them credit, this game is pretty amazing now with all of the updates. I’n not sure that everything that was “promised” is in the game now, but I’m pretty sure that there’s a lot that wasn’t promised that is in it. The game just keeps getting better and better and they keep adding to it. Very impressed with their commitment, rather than taking the money and running and abandoning the game. Hats off to the NMS team!

I just changed my vote because of your reminder.

Seconded. It was my instant first choice when I saw that category.

The “War for the Overworld” thread has a gentle disagreement.

It was a toss-up for me, but in the end I gave WftO the vote. The devs of that game almost literally have no reason to update the game any further, but they did, because they love Dungeon Keeper. Sean and his crew still want to sell units. Not to discount NMS’s sea-change into what it is today, but I’m going for the lesser of two indies on this one.

So you’re saying that WftO devs don’t want to sell units, and Hello Games don’t have great passion for their project?

Sounds legit! ;)

WftO has 6 paid DLCs, all of NMS updates have been free.

So I loaded this on the new PC yesterday, and it still took forever for the initial load with the loading shaders bit. Is that normal?

Yes, the game builds a shader cache the first time you start it. It also does this whenever it gets a big update, or when you update graphic drivers.

Any other time is pretty quick to load.

Obviously you need to upgrade. ;)

Tried to play a bit this afternoon with my brother on Xbox Live, ran into all sorts of problems- disconnects, being ‘in the same game’ but not actually able to see/get together with one another, etc. Kind of frustrating. The bright red bushes on my base planet are also now dark purple.

The initial starfield loading screen used to take a looong time- and it never got better after the first time. Something changed in the last few months since I’ve played, though, and now it’s like 30 seconds, tops. So that’s nice.

For what it is worth there is one other reason to give WftO the nod here.

They contributed a days’ worth of sales to the family of TotalBiscuit when he passed. While that has nothing directly to do with the award it goes to show that their hearts are in the right place.

Sounds like the devs trying to raise exposure and get press coverage! (jk)

I’m not arguing for one or the other, I’m just saying a claim like 'these guys are in it for love, and these guys are in it for money" is not really fair. :)