No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Yeah I know I might have the wrong philosophy because there’s always more out there. But for example an exosuit upgrade pod that I don’t have the materials for, or a damaged ship that I want to take over but don’t have the materials to repair. Trading posts. Potential base locations.

I know where you’re coming from. My brain works in the same way so it took a little retraining for me to get over it. That exopod with a suit upgrade? Who cares about finding that one, just find another one. There’s limitless numbers of them. Same with trading posts and the like.

Took a while to get used to thinking that way, but the game became more enjoyable once I did. Going with the flow instead of swimming against the current, if you know what I mean.

After spending much time tweaking and seeking my optimal performance/visual blend, I played an hour in VR last night, starting a new game.

I think it’s amazing the rework they’ve done to all the UI systems to accomodate this. All the inventories etc are quickly accessed by pointing at your wrist. The grip interactions feel natural, especially the need to ‘grab and pull’ to collect the plants. It uses the now-standard reach-and-grip for stuff like equipping your multitool, but they added a neat little haptic buzz when your hand is in-range for that interaction, something so obvious but I’d not experienced before.

Ship interiors look really cool. Being there in the world, with the scale and all the colours and weird lifeforms. I went into a cave to shelter from a storm, it all felt totally fresh again with the new perspective.

It’s an amazing thing in it’s own right, let alone as a free update to a 3 year old game.

Can someone remind me if it’s easy to move your base to a new system? I started a new game and ended up in a system with 3 planets. I don’t like any of them for a base though. I think I have to do the minimal base starter quests to proceed to the point where I can get a warp drive, but if I plop down a minimal base now, can’t I just move it later? I really can’t recall.

Ultimately all it needs to store is a history of rough coordinates on planets that you’ve been… it doesn’t need to actually store anything about what’s there, since that can ll be generated procedually for the map.

Seems like this couldn’t possibly be that much data for any particular player. I can think of various ways you could optimize it to be less data too, but it seems like you could pretty easily just store an array of visited coordinates on a scale of say, one tenth of a degree lat/lon. You could store that in around 64k if you wanted, and it’d give you a resolution of blocks being “visited” of around 6 miles, if planets were the size of earth, which would likely be fine. In practice, I think the planets in NMS are far smaller, so you’d likely have a much higher resolution in terms of being able to show/hide section of terrain on the map.

Pretty easy. I’m dragassing through that stupid tutorial yet again, trying to get back to the point where I’m cut loose. Deleting the base does destroy it, so make sure you keep some chromatic metal. The rest of the stuff you put down and delete seems to go back to your inventory.

Are you able to remove the teleporter? The usual click right stick doesn’t seem to work on it.

Unsure. I used the delete stuff for built objects (z/ctrl/click)

Hotspots appear to be invisible, major resource nodes that are detectable with an upgraded analysis visor when you’re within ~500u of them. You can only detect one at a time (the nearest), even if you’re within range of more than one. They’re actual things you can mine with the right tech, you just can’t see them with the naked eye and have to mark the spot with something or just remember where it is while you’re planning. So far I’ve only come across three types on my planet, gas, ore and electromagnetic. The last one can deliver power and that’s the only one I really understand at this point.

Thanks. This seemed to break on me, yesterday, but I’ll test it again.

As for much needed mapping, my theory is it’s actually resource intensive for them to do that for some reason. This is why, I think, we’re limited to 5 beacons per planet and why the game starts acting weird when you’re at that limit and have identified a large number (say, more that 20) of points of interest. In my case, pov icons start disappearing and reappearing for no reason I can fathom, and I think it may have even damaged the integrity of my base (mainly objects in and on buildings disappearing), although that could be unrelated.

Activate build mode and look for the delete hint beneath the build icons. They changed it. I think it’s R2 on the PS4.

Also is there a blueprint eventually to build storage? Because my tiny ship and I are pretty much tapped right now.

Unfortunately locked behind a quest chain. Start a base, begin the Overseer missions and he’ll give you the blueprint for cubes 1-9. Or, start the Artemis mission (Awakenings I think) and after a quest or two it’ll fork another mission called Base Computer Archives, which periodically doles out tech blueprints, one if which is cube # 0. Some of this may have changed a little with Beyond.

Once you have cubes installed at a base or on a freighter, each cube’s inventory is accessible from the corresponding cube at any other base, and when you have more than one of a given cube (e.g. cube # 1), you can safely delete one of the instances of that cube without losing the stuff stored in it.

Cubes also require power now, which is lame. Might be easier to pick up a freighter, or a cheap second ship, if you’re desperate for space. And work on expanding exosuit slots.

Okay, just bought this on a third platform so I can play on my Oculus; didn’t want to miss the sale. (Previously bought PS4 back when it was exclusive, and Xbox to play on my Xbox One X.)

Though sounds like I might want to give it a week or so for patches to settle in.

Dive in if you have reasonable CPU, the water’s fine! :)

I’m only really early but not had any VR issues on the Rift S.

So how does one find a Space Anomaly? I had the quest active just before BEYOND landed and now I’m in outer space and the mission says the anomaly is in a different system…but it doesn’t show a waypoint. Do I just have to fly around to various systems until I find a random anomaly?

I think you just have to fly to any different system and the quest continues…

If you got as far as getting the prompt to go visit the Anomaly, you should now be able to summon it and put it wherever you want (in space), using the menu where you activate warp. At least, this was my experience yesterday. Or if you really want to go find it, you should be able to see where it is in the galactic map or a teleporter.

So far I’ve only tested on my vanilla ps4, but it’s definitely running much smoother than it did prior to the Beyond update.

All the little improvements really add to the experience. Really the larger ship size and better cockpits alone are way cooler than I expected.

My favorite chill out game just keeps getting better somehow. I’m now quite a bit curious what their plans are for the ps5. I could easily imagine them coming up with some ideas to leverage the extra power to make some cool stuff happen and would gladly pay for it.

Base relocated at last. Not as ideal a layout as I was shooting for (particularly the domes and the ship accomodation), but I fatigued and am leaving it as is for now. Note the stacked electromagnetic reactors.

Learned a bit more about hotspots after exploring the area around my new base some more. So far I’m still just seeing gas (Nitrogen and Oxygen, so far), ore (Iridium and Paraffinium) and thermo, all Class C. So I’m assuming that’s what I’m going to find on this planet. A higher class (A, B or S) would mean more output, but I’m getting plenty of juice from my generators.

Here’s what the scanner looks like just after you’ve scanned for some. The icons seem to hang around for a while, hopefully they remain after loading back in.

With this new resource, it’s getting harder to choose how to spend my five beacon allotment now. I have to split them between the hotspots and regular mineral deposits that I’m mining, and don’t have any left to mark other locations of interest on the planet.

None of the new hotspots I’ve found are within the bounds of my new base, and I’m guessing that’s an intentional design decision. According to something I read today, I may be able to figure out how to extend my base a bit to reach one of them. Otherwise I’ll have to set up little mining outpost bases. Oh and this gives me an excuse to look into short range teleporters, although standard teleporters are cheap to make.