No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

I think I lost some quicksilver due to one of the bugs at some point.

With the buggy quests, I made to sure to do a manual save after completing artemis the 2nd time. Not sure what to do about the atlas path thing. I can just ignore it, but it is annoying because the game likes to focus on it so it keeps telling me to search for atlas.

Edit: I resolved my Atlas Path issue. Even though it was telling me to search for an interface again, I did what originally it said I should do next, and that cleared it out of the log.

Apparently there is a bug right now where the cost exosuit slot upgrades in stations don’t get taken out of your money.

Has anyone run across a planet with really well defined continents instead of something that looks like what you’d expect Minnesota to look like with tons of lakes everywhere:

Imgur

I don’t know if it is just an artifact of probably using the heightmap to determine where water is, or if this is a desired result.

Edit: Looks like I found the answer to my question

Imgur

I have 300 quicksilver now, but it only seems useful for decorations, so whatever…

In previous games I have always tripped over crashed high-quality ships and found free replacement multitools quite early, usually on my starter planet, but in this game I just started from scratch, I haven’t found one crashed ship and I’m still on my starter multitool because I haven’t accumulated the 2M units required for the cheapest one I saw for sale. Admittedly all the aliens I meet only offer dialog or gift options so I can never interact with them in a mini-story level that might offer a free multitool; perhaps those are re-enabled once I have higher affinity? I’ll try actively searching for crashed ships with the signal thingy next time, though.

I usually find either supercontinents or more rarely useless tiny islands. Normal continents seem to be rare.

It took me a while to get a new multitool this time around. Last time I played I was gifted a super one in the first hour or two. Quite a mission to get the funds this time, which is good!

Another thing I’m wondering is if something like rivers exist. I was on a desert-ish planet that had would looked like a dry river bed, and the region was somewhat appropriately named as it was something delta, but that is the closest I’ve come. Admittedly I haven’t been too many places yet. Now that I have the story lines finished up though, that is the plan.

What is a bummer with the multi-tools is losing all your upgrades when you switch, and most of them are upgrades that require nanites. I’ve done one upgrade of the multi-tool, and I’ll probably stick with this one for a long time.

There are no real rivers that I’ve seen. Every so often there’s a linear canyon that might give the illusion of one for a short distance. Terrain is the opposite of realistic in this game.

The simplest way to locate a good multitool is to keep visiting settlements in wealthier star systems. Settlements are basically just a single room with a landing pad outside. Every space station has one as well, but those are rarely as good. NPCs also tend to have good ones less often, but those are free at least.

Is the upload all not working on the discovery page? So far I have to upload all my discoveries manually which of course sucks.

I’ve started over with a new save since I haven’t touched the game in well over a year. I’ve noticed building construction prices and decorative item now have to be bought with salvage units. It’s been awhile but i thought those things were available to the player from the get go.

No, for whatever reason that doesn’t currently work.

With all this new stuff, just how bad is the grind for a brand new start? It was awful in the first month I played. But I was in the hospital and out, so I had nothing else to do at the time so I didn’t mind so much. But now, I don’t think I could hack it.

I did a new normal start with beyond. I currently have $50m, a freighter (little 19 slot a class) with 5 or 6 frigates, 5 ships (only 2 have been upgraded really) I think all b class. My current main ship is can jump up 1400ly and gets a number if jumps out of a warp cell. The only really grindy thing to me so far was having to redo some of the story missions because it bugged for some reason. I think the save says I’m at 70 hours.

A survival start would be worse, but I dont know how grindy it would be.

Ah, I got more done in 12 hours in Beyond than I got in 30 hours of previous updates. Then again, I know what to look for and what to aim for, so that might play a perhaps considerable part in that difference.

That said, some changes - like raising storage of materials more than 100 times on the default exosuit slots - help a LOT in reducing the arbitrary grind.

FYI, survival mode still has the old stack sizes. Which is mildly annoying since the lower stack size adds more tedium than difficulty. Haven’t tried a permadeath.

That’s cool.

@hechicera - permadeath in a game like this? Where you could lose it all after 50-100 hours? That seems crazy.

I’m sitting at 124 hours played. That’s since launch, I realize there has been quite a bit of content added since then. But for me to run out 100 hours and NOT see something, that tells me that the random procedural seems okay? I dunno, I’ll speak of it again when I get bored of it I guess. I’ve encountered weather from peaceful, serene and idyllic to absolute nightmare. The actual planets change some, but I agree with the others that ocean seems to just be … islands everywhere. That doesn’t mean bad, just not what you’d expect. Nothing earth like with lakes, rivers, etc.

One of the island planets I’ve encountered has ancient burial sites. So you fly to a new island, scan, then go dig up half the island getting bones and trying to avoid sentinels. Fortunately, sentinels appear to lose contact if you go in the water, so it’s a win-win for that planet.

I’ve also found and made a base on a planet with strange ball growths on it (not gravatino balls.) The
few creatures are also ball shaped, making everything look pretty much the same. It’s got tons of open resources to mine. For what it’s worth I enjoy what I’ve seen so far, and I’m sure I’ll see more. There is a -routine- to it, but as far as gameplay goes, they have done a decent job expanding the wow factor as well as the just one more thing factor.

For anyone playing in vr, how do you reload the mining laser? Do you have to go into the inventory menu to do it? When using the boltcaster there is a little reload button on the menu that pops up on your hand, but I can’t figure out where to do it for the mining laser.

Point at left hand, quick menu, recharge equipment, mining beam. Terrain Manipulator is here too, depending on which one you have active.

I also ran into the issue of having my flight control inverted for normal play making it messed up in vr. Grabbing the stick and pulling back would make the ship head down, and pushing forward would make it go up. I only spent about 10 minutes playing around on my very safe planet, so I will have to spend some more time tonight figuring things out. Teleport worked well enough, but I should also try smooth movement. I still need to try the exocraft as well.