No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Are you sure you didn’t claim a new ship on the ground and start using it without realizing which ship you were taking off in? This is baffling. :)

Absolutely. Yeah, is weird. I had only used one ship the entire time, and repaired it at home and used it for many more hours before I even thought about trying another ship. Well, we played ARK for years, this is nothing!

It’s so fast and easy to play this on PS5, I find myself just firing it up before bed to just cruise around in creative mode to view some cool vistas.

It’s weirdly soothing and low investment chill time.

A new month, a new update. No Man’s Sky becomes Pokémon.

I don’t get how they can keep pouring development resources into this but I’m glad they can!

I love this game. Always did, always will. ;)

I only booted into the Next Gen update for a couple minutes. This will probably drag me back. Dammit.

Great game, this will drag me back in!

“their own shoulder mounted lasers” … am I the only one that shouted SHARK! in my head?

Sadly, flying and swimming creatures can’t be pets, apparently. Which makes me sad.

How are these updates so amazing and still free?

Most companies would have charged us $10 for each DLC.

I know, I ranted about this just the other day. It’s amazing how they still work on the game and keep making it better and better every time. Imagine how great your favourite games would be if all developers kept on going like this. (I understand this isn’t possible for all developers, but let’s just take a moment and imagine it nonetheless)

Small team. I’m guessing they made a shit ton of money off this already, and if they have decent money management, the original revenue, plus slow trickle from new sales is keeping them able to work on this.
Much the same way Concerned Ape still works on Stardew Valley, and I would have to imagine the Valheim developers are drowining in cash they never dreamed of, so we’re likely to see support for that game long term also.
Huh, I guess making a decent game can be profitable.

They got a LOT of money from Sony for this, and part of needing to make good was realizing they’d never get another deal like that again if they couldn’t make up for what they’d done. I give a lot of props, tons in fact, to Sean Murray. He screwed up and had the wrong mindset for everything early on. Pushing the team to basically live at the studio day and night. Chastising other developers for not working 18 hour days. Being dishonest in interviews about features. He did something that seems very rare nowadays. He took every single wrong and said he’d make them right. Accepted he was the ultimate problem and ate humble pie.

He’s a good guy and I wish there were more people like him out there. His passion is amazing, yet it’s tempered with reality.

Deal like what? Sony contributed to publishing and marketing which got them timed console exclusivity. No Man’s Sky itself was self funded. They made enough money to basically do whatever they like. And Sony made a load of money too I think. Even without updates to No Man’s Sky I suspect Hello Games would have a queue forming if they went looking for a publisher/partner again.

Yeah, it this point, I think they’ve earned a lot of goodwill. I bought their latest game, The Last Campfire a few months back- a little because it was on sale for cheap ($15 or something), a little because it reminded me of Bastion in narrative style, and a little because I just wanted to throw them a bone for all the work they have done, and continue to do on NMS. And I say this having paid for NMS 3 times- for myself when it hit Xbox, a copy for Ps4 when PSVR got implemented, and a copy for my brother to play with me online.

The game has sold millions of copies and it’s a small dev team that basically has the freedom to do whatever they want at this point. They probably have a new project in the works but in the meantime it just seems like they’re having fun continuing to expand on their baby and garnering all the well-deserved good will.

I’ve read that they’ve gotten a big boost in sales with every update they have released also.

Yeah, it seems like they tend to coincide their content releases with sales, at least on the consoles (like this week), so I’m sure they get a bump from curious folks- kind of mind-boggling to me, as I think “doesn’t everyone who wants that already have it?”, but then GTA5 is in the top-ten sellers every month, still, so what do I know?

At this point it seems like the devs know the code inside and out so well, that they’re in “I wonder if I can do that”-mode. And it turns out, they can.

I bought it three times as well - on Steam, on GOG, and on the PS4.