No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

The Expedition rewards hugely speed up your progression, but it’s also just another set of goals to grind.

Putting everyone in the same place and on the same path basically gives it a theme park MMO flavor, where every system near the rendevous goals is already discovered, covered in player bases, etc. I strongly dislike this, so I’m rushing for rendevous #5 (and will hit 5k nanites for another goal at the same time), before I ditch the crowd.

My group has had some trouble trying to co-op as well, being unable to join full star system instances, and having players disconnect from the group at random.

I did an expedition with my friend but yeah, the clutter of other players is too much for me to care (also it makes warping pretty crazy).

Also I somehow ended up in a situation where sentinels followed me into space, making me warp away, but I ran out of fuel for warp speed and no asteroids around, so I’m kind of stuck.

Either way, I’d rather just go back to an offline mode. There’s been 2-3 updates since I last played so I’m trying to figure out if I need to start fresh to see some of the new stuff (I think one of the updates required new seeds but I can’t remember).

I think the expedition mode is designed to be rushed. At least that’s how I played it and I enjoyed my time with it. I completed it in about 3 days. It was fun to just zoom through all the content as fast as possible. I have another save on survival where I just meander (really) slowly through the game so it was a nice change of pace. Completing expedition mode unlocked a cool golden S class ship in my main save too.

Here’s a pic of my Golden Vector space ship reward from the expedition :)

Looks AWESOME. I should go back to my expedition but Trails of Cold Steel and Nier Replicant are keeping me busy… ;)

That’s verr’ nice.

Ohhh…shiny! Congrats!

Thanks! :)

This website is truly ugly but it has lots of good information on it.
Especially the optimal layout of upgrade modules which I discovered I was doing all wrong:
https://www.nomansskyresources.com/tech-layout-and-adjacency-bonus

EDIT:
Also found this planet earlier that I thought was cool.

Dear god is that ugly or what? And what’s with the centered text? My brain is like, nope, nope, nope.

Tell me about it! - it’s like a timewarp back to Geocities :)
I recommend the upgrade module bonus info though. It gave me a good bump to my stats.

Anyone taking part in this?

This article doesn’t make sense. The most people in an instance is only 32. How can you have the massive battles this article talks about?

Yeah, way overhyped. It created a bunch of confusion on the NMS discord when new members kept popping in and asking about the “war”. No one had even heard of this thing.

“While PvP is a common experience in certain modes” - from article.

At best a misrepresentation of some players attempts at ganking/trolling - and most commonly encountered with base building hacks on quest locations. Common is a non-starter for accuracy under even the most generous of interpretations. Maybe they saw “survival” mode? (which players know has same PvP settings as every other mode). Makes me wonder if article’s author has ever played?

There was definitely some sort of concerted effort to create a “war” of some kind in Galaxy #50 (iirc). The person who posted the tweet that’s linked in the Polygon article also tweeted out a discord link, where presumably this stuff was being organized. (I didn’t go any further than finding the link to it.)

But yeah, NMS really doesn’t lend itself to this sort of gameplay, imo.

Expedition 2 is now live. This one is called Beachhead.
This one is much shorter than the first and is available for 2 weeks only.

Rewards for each phase:
Phase 1 - Freighter Recoloring Options
Phase 2 - Hadach’s Discovery IH4 starship
Phase 3 - Sparse Horizon Helmet
Phase 4 - Armored shoulder pads, chest piece, and leggings
Phase 5 - Beachhead Expedition Banner, and something hidden. All of the phase 5 milestones have encrypted goals and rewards

DLSS coming soon, in case you have trouble running this game, which you probably don’t.

I don’t know, it’s tough to run well in VR, especially at native G2 res. This might be the first DLSS VR game!

Though the native TAA makes the game way too blurry, hopefully this won’t carry over to DLSS.

DLSS replaces TAA so it will definitely help there.