No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

I completed Expedition 3. It was my first time trying this whole expedition thing. It was a fun diversion. I only got hung up on the “Rocket Man” milestone because I misinterpreted what I was supposed to do.

Totally agree. Giving Exotics exotic tech seems fitting and would balance out their OPness, imo. I bet they considered it but didn’t want to piss off the player community. And yeah, I feel that opening up the slot expansion to all ships really upset the balance, and pretty much invalidated the practical benefits of owning Hauler.

There’s this funny bug that if you increase the inventory size of your freighter while having a living ship as your current ship, you’ll increase the inventory size of the living ship as well. (There’s no normal way to increase the inventory size of living ships).

So I suddenly had a max size living ship - which kind of made all the regular ships obsolete.

Just an FYI that the Expeditions Revisited event flips over to Expedition 4 today.

Impressive.

Hello Games just keeps knocking it out of the park. Awesome.

I enjoyed the game a lot at launch, but couldn’t really get into it long term because the combat moment-to-moment gameplay was so poor, both on the ground and in the ship. And all the subsequent updates did nothing to address that, only addressing the parts that were already good, sometimes making them even better, sometimes making them worse.

So I’m kind of excited about this combat update. I’m curious to see if they made the moment-to-moment combat actually satisfying or interesting now.

According to the update page, they did some work on the visual FX for the guns and tools in the game, as well as some core work on the combat or movement.

Combat has been significantly improved to create a faster-paced, more varied and dynamic experience.
Tweaks include changes to camera settings, Sentinel health, Traveller and Sentinel weapon speeds and fire rates, hit indicators, rumble and camera shake, and much more.

Man some of those new toys look like a lot of fun.

I’m gonna have to jump back in again, aren’t I?

18 free major content updates since 1.0. Dang.

It’s now the game they promised and more. It used to be rated on Steam as “Extremely Negative”, now it has turned around to “Mostly Positive”.

I think the changes they’ve listed affect the ‘feel’ of combat, so it may hit ‘satisfying’ - but probably not ‘interesting’, unless they added a lot more enemy types and AI combat pattern variety, or new mechanics.

Still always appreciate a new update, going to check it out of course! And the video says there’s a new expedition dropping too? ‘Exobiology Expedition’.

They did add more enemy types. They inserted a new non-player Mech into sentinel escalations and POI defense. They added more floating sentinels --ones with more armor, summoners (calls for help), and healers. They also added a new type of multitool (that I don’t know much about yet), and more multitool weapons, and AI tech that you can install in your Minotaur, and a floating sentinel companion.

But I agree with your point (or what I took from your point). None of this (and none of the major updates) actually deepens gameplay in the ways that I’d really like to see, or makes discovery significantly more interesting. Still, they deserve huge props. They’ve been working their asses off for a very long time and it really shows.

Yeah, these are more tweaks to combat than anything else. They’d need to add more weapons that do more things, add stuff like armor/shields, weapon effects, etc to really transform it.

Yep, anything at all negative I say has this implicit proviso attached, it’s still one of my all-time most-played favourites!

Case in point:

He said, for "as many updates as we’ve done since launch and as many bucket list items we’ve checked off, our list of things we’re excited about never seems to get any shorter. The team are always coming up with new things that they want to do with the game: new content and features and areas for improvement.

“I’m amazed that the energy levels are as high now as they’ve ever been. We tend not to talk about what’s on that list publicly but suffice to say we’re not done yet by a long shot.”

Excellent. Now - when does this new expedition start? I’m ready to go on a milking adventure!

It starts now!