No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Dammit, you guys are going to make me buy this aren’t you?

@RichVR: Are you talking about these?

Here’s a mining tip… you don’t need to wait for the cooldown to go all the way down before using the multitool again. You can continue using it pretty much straight away, as soon as the bar drops a fraction - it will shoot down to zero and start building again.

Using a controller lets you do it by feel without looking at the UI, as it vibrates when approaching overheat and stops vibrating when it’s safe to use it again.

Ok, I trooped around in some caves scanning the crap out of them looking for the graves of fallen travelers for like the last 45 minutes on the current planet I’m on and didn’t find one. So of course I’ve no idea what this looks like so I don’t really know what I’m looking for, anyone found one yet? I figured since the planet had caves I might as well look around since god knows how long it’ll be before I find a portal, but when I do it would be nice to of tracked down some glyph knowledge (supposedly pulled from the logs of dead travelers) so I could actually put the portal to use…

Figured out the Cave Marrow builder quest issue.

The quest involves both the Overseer and the Scientist. So even if you’ve met all the requirements for the quest, you have to have the correct quest selected in the Log before interacting with NPCs.

Edit: The blue flower two posts above this one is what you’re looking for, @easytarget . Try relocating and exploring a different cave?

Oh yeah, I’ll keep hunting, finding and operating a portal is one of the main reasons I’ve returned to play some more, so I’ll definitely keep hunting. Just wanted to throw it out there so anyone else who finds one can chime in with details.

Well, this thread has me curious enough to update my PS4 copy. Maybe I’ll jump back in and poke around.

Looks like that flower also grows outside caves, and it might not be blue as I thought.

The second one is from my first planet before I learned about photo mode. Above ground, it was bland and practically barren, but underground were these beautiful caves.

I started a survival game. It’s already a million times easier than it was when I tried last fall.

Are there some new story lines in this patch? I just got contacted by someone…

Yes. there is.

Hit another quest system wall. This time I’m supposed to scan five creatures, but I don’t believe more than three actually exist in the entire system. (Scientific Research mission)

Yes they added 30 hours of story…

(not sure how they’re calculating that, but that’s the claim!)

Lovely cave, man I hope I have time to play a bit later tonight.

This has always been a PITA. Check in caves, underwater and for flying creatures. The last one always seems to be really hard to find. If you scan around with your visor you can sometimes see the red dots indicating an unscanned creature even when it is underground or behind a hill.

I saw on reddit you can feed creatures and it does something to find other creatures or something.

I caved and got the game on PS4. I rented it last year on release had an OK time but this is much more complete. The survival mode has been brutal but I really like it! I had to travel a good distance to get the components needed to repair the ship and traversing the hostile environment with dwindling life support made me feel like Matt Damon on The Martian.

I started fresh in survival mode and it was brutal. Hoth frozen planet.

Couple of tips that I discovered the hard way.

1 You can craft the power gel with carbon and plutonium. This can be used as a substitute for Thorium for life support charging.
https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Power_Gel

2 You can craft a shielding sheet with iron and platinum. This can come in helpful if your enviromental shielding has failed and you need to make it to that next shelter. Charge your enviro shielding back up.
https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Shielding_Sheet

3 You can build a signal booster with platinum and iron to try to find Heredium to repair the pulse drive. Heredium is usually found in big blue pillars.

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Signal_Booster

Watch out though. Sometimes there are better sources you will come across as you trek to a marker.

Pro tip: You can tunnel into the heredium and find shelter from the environment inside your tunnel. This can get you charged back up.

When you find a trading post and want to be able to find it again, how do you select the waypoint for that so that it shows up on your HUD to allow you to navigate back to it? In the absence on any kind of planet map, surely there must be a way to navigate back to stuff you find, right? I can’t figure it out. My base is half the world away from where I started out and now I can’t find any of the stuff I found in the starting area.

There are markers that appear on the radar in the ship when you’re flying around. Those don’t help? I usually find that if I’ve spent enough time on the planet, I start to recognize where I am.