Noita - all the pixels simulated!

Actually although Hiisi base is a shitshow, all the levels past the first two are. I think the base is actually a bit less so than the Snowy Depths, though, because there are far fewer open areas to get into trouble in and thus it’s more controllable. Not as much chance for a snipu or tankki to 360 noscope you from off the screen.

Well I have gotten past Snowy Depths, both rushing and taking it slow, since it is so open I can sometimes find very quick paths to the bottom, so it’s more navigable.

When I enter Hiisi, right from the Holy Mountain drop I seem to always have a welcome wagon of real assholes. Even if I get past them, I have to find a path down in these narrow corridors full of more assholes. Never made it very far down without being reduced to giblets.

Damn, I just read the “game lore” page of the Noita wiki and there is so much shit in this game. There are a ton of things in there that would probably be spoilers if I had any fucking clue what they were talking about.

Oh my god.

[spoiler]https://noita.fandom.com/[/spoiler]wiki/New_Game_Plus

(spoilers!)

Oh ffs.

:D

I shotgun blasted my way through Hiisi base and found a path to the portal. Enemies closing in all around me.

Died to the first enemy encounter in the next zone. My shotgun wand might as well be shooting spit wads. Useless weapon.

The hardest thing might just be trying to keep up with the power curve. Especially in these harder zones where I rush through and don’t collect many resources.

Very true. I find that if I don’t have a solid wand by the time I Ieave Snowy Depths it’s just a matter of time.

I mean until last night it’s always just been a matter of time, but still.

I explore the first two maps as much as humanly possible. What ushers me to the next map is my health. Once I am low on health I need to move on.

Snowy depths is really the last map I try to explore a bit but it is very dangerous.

Hiisi base is the gauntlet / constant fight and navigational challenge so straight to the portal ASAP. No time to fuck around. This is where all bad luck/subpar runs go to die AKA the great filter.

Jungle, only got there once but it feels like it might be more open just with tanky enemies so it’s a huge check on your damage output.

Yeah that sounds like my experience. Jungle is quite a bit tighter than snowy depths but more open than base. The enemies there do the to have a lot of hp, some of them. Couple are there from the earlier Fungal Caverns.

I had like 7 false starts / deaths in the mines. Then I get to Hiisi and die immediately. No chance to survive, save your time.

I am not feeling any strong sense of progression here to tell you the truth. I try to use what the maps and holy mountains give me but my best is just totally not good enough.

I always feel my wand is weak as shit. The whole wand / spell system is esoteric as fuck. Determining which wands are good or bad. How to slot spells, the order, etc.

I am no master wandsmith by a damned sight, but here is an interesting tip that has occasionally helped me:

The chainsaw spell has a negative modifier to cast time, so the basic idea is that you get a wand without shuffle and stick the chainsaw, a double spell card and then some offensive spell. The double will cast that offensive spell and then loop back around to cast the chainsaw, reducing the overall cast time. If it’s a low-recharge time wand to begin with you can get some insanely fast firing stuff, and if the wands mana recharge rate is high, look out. This is, for example, how I made the “nuke” wand that I posted a gif of somewhere way upthread. If you have a three card you can put two offensive spells in, or even two chainsaws for even crazier rapid fire, and so on.

The spell system is pretty esoteric, but effects generally stack from left to right. Like looking at the wand I won with, I have a homing spell, a “damage field” spell that puts a damaging (continuous effect) field around projectiles, then an electric curse, which renders the creature hit by the projectile vulnerable to lightning, then an electric charge, which imparts electric damage to the projectile, then a three card, then three shotguns. The shotgun spell is weak but it fires three bullets at a time, so each time I pull the trigger nine bullets come out, and ALL of the previous effects apply to all of them, so in effect the bullets just became carriers for all the other stuff.

Of course this is all dependent on the RNG. Sometimes you just won’t have what it takes to keep plunging down the mountain, and you might have to go off the beaten path a bit. Sometimes you just get caught on fire and die.

Noita.

Good info, thanks.

Yeah, that’s awesome. I feel like I’ve never actually ever been given the tools (AKA the RNG drops) to make such a wand yet.

I should emphasize that most of the good building can only be done with non-shuffling wands. Shuffle wands I usually just put all the same spell in them because not being able to count on what comes out when is too stressful.

Oh, also be aware that if there is any kind of electrical spell in a wand it will occasionally arc, which is bad news if you are standing in water or on metal.

I’ve already killed myself numerous times with many a wand, thanks. Like I had a good run going and literally mouse scrolled to wand with a electric torch effect as I dived straight into a large body of water…RIP.

So to add on to what I said previous, I feel like I just haven’t gotten the resources to develop a bitchin’ wand like you described.

At most I think I always get arch modifiers which seemed counter-productive (I want to fire straight dammit) amongst other chaos projectile modifiers.

I will once again draw your attention to my “174 deaths, 1 win” stat. xD

Hehe, fair enough.

One of the early growing pains for sure, but I am pretty proactive about not dying to fire. Water flask binded to the Q key. Saved my bacon dozens of times. I’ve even found it useful to kill some fire-enemies just by showering them in water.

Also works with toxicity. Water is life.

There are few things more satisfying in this game than dumping a bucket of water on one of those devils in the mine.

Edit: apparently they are “fire mages”. Their in-game name is “stendari,” which wiktionary informs me is Helsinki slang for a cigarette lighter.