Nope - Jordan Peele's third horror joint

I know Jupe was buying OJ’s horses and feeding them to the Viewer. But I think Otis Sr.’s death happened before OJ started selling off the horses..

Well, it probably did, but that’s not to say Jupe wasn’t still trying to entice it. After all, where did the keys, coins, etc. come from? And it’s something it was referenced later (happening again).

— Alan

I’m a sucker for Peele’s sensibilities as a filmmaker so of course I loved this. Meandered a bit, but I wouldn’t change anything.

So many nods to Spielberg. Their prep to take on blue jeans reminded me of the scenes as the Orca was being prepped for the chase in Jaws. Obviously Close Encounters parallels. A nod to Shyamalan’s Signs, although in this case the aliens turned out to be Jupe’s kids.

Peele tosses around the word spectacle when describing this film, and it means so many different things. NOPE itself is a visual and audio(if that’s possible?) spectacle. Brilliantly composed shots and score. It looks amazing on the big screen and a definite rare movie worth shelling out the extra money for IMAX.

It’s about the obsession w/ spectacle and once you pay too much attention to it, succumb to the circus act, you’ve lost.

And of course, he wanted to finally get some representation of people of color headlining a big budget Hollywood spectacle.

It was easy to miss but at the beginning of the movie there was a news reference to a missing hiking party. I’m pretty certain that was the detritus from the abducted hikers.

That wasn’t about blue jeans. It was OJ starting to adapt and properly train his own horses after the incident at the movie set earlier.

That was my thought as well.

I did miss that news reference so thanks for clearing that up

Oh I totally forgot about the news reference!

— Alan

Yes, and this mirror ball thing is a VFX tool used on film sets.

His name is Jean Jacket! :)

I saw this tonight and I’m completely torn. It’s astonishingly great filmmaking and sound design and I’d recommend it for that alone, but there were numerous parts of the story that I had trouble going with. Also wish I had subtitles because I think I missed a lot of great dialogue. Worth a rewatch… there’s at least one spectacular sequence. And plenty of these guys!

I can’t read the above because it is too blurry, but I saw this Sunday night and I loved it.

I think it is safe to say, there will be spoilers for the movie in the movie thread, after it has been released. I typically hold off on reading threads until I have seen the film, everyone can read how they want, but I do that to avoid spoilers, so I am going to give me review here. I won’t try to be openly spoilery, but good luck navigating a thread for media that is already out without getting spoiled.

See the movie, it is very good. My 2nd favorite of his films, with probably the most horror for me personally.

Definitely the most technically impressive movie Peele has made. It is great, but not perfect, and I feel he tries to shove just a few too many themes into this, and the run time is a tad on the long side. Could have done with maybe 10 minutes cut. You really have to justify why you are going over 2 hours in a horror film, and I think this movie would have been better with a tighter runtime. I liked the running concept of trying to tame wild animals, and how difficult and unpredictable that could be. The story of Gordie as a cautionary tale, as well as a few run-ins with training. That got a bit muddied with how the overall ending of the film was concerned, where they tried to tame the beast? It felt like their initial plan fell apart, but then got scavenged at the end? It just was a bit muddy of a concept in the film. It just lacked the tightness of get out’s plot and themes, as well as the shorter run-time. This was his longest film by about 15 minutes.

That being said, the sheer terror, scale, and just the ominous tone of the film is almost suffocating. This is helped greatly by a stellar score and overall terrific sound design and cinematography. You need to see this in theaters, with the suffocating and terrifying noises of the beast scaring you silly. Also, the size of the thing on screen in a movie theater really adds to it.

The scene at the Star Lasso experience nearly gave me a panic attack. As someone who is not a fan of claustrophobia inducing spaces, that scene really fucked me up. Wow. Heart racing a mile a minute. I was about a minute or so from stepping out of the theater. That scene GOT to me. That was terrifying. And it did a great job setting up the stakes for the final act of the film.

As for the final encounter, it was all set up well, and I loved the reporter in the shiny helmet ruining the plan a bit. I also loved that the film didn’t go into full on detail about what their plans were. The idea to film the thing with analog methods was cool, though I think that the cinematographer character’s final decision felt weird to me. I think it could have been justified better with a few more breadcrumbs about getting a perfect shot etc.

The final form of JJ was obviously, to me, its reaction to being challenged head on by OJ and friends. He wore the jacket with the eyes on the back, in a way to attempt to face off against the creature and get it riled up. You see it do the same exact thing when confronted at the end by the balloon. I thought of it is a “chest puffing up” sort of defensive posture you see in many animals. Trying to “look big” to scare off or size up its rival.

I absolutely loved the character design of this thing, It was both typical ufo AND something even more horrific. The absolute scale and power of the thing was terrifying.

I loved it, small complaints aside Peele knocks another one over the fence. 4/5 Stars from me.

Not sure if I’m missing a joke here? Those are spoiler tags allowing you to click on the blurry bits to reveal the text. It prevents accidental spoilers. I’d say it’s generally good etiquette while the movie is in theaters.

I just remembered the brief VR gag. LOL.

Saw this today – decided to run out of the office and see a movie with friends.

Ok … I want to say I liked it I really do. But ultimately it was really average.

Say a C+ on the Kristi Gaines scale? For what its worth.

Saw it yesterday with the son. It was his second time. He really liked it, saw lots of themes about trying to tame things we shouldn’t.

I enjoyed it, and it was tense as heck in some parts. A bit disappointed by the sudden ending after the resolution of the problem, though. That was pretty typical for a movie like this, and I’d liked to have seem some kind of postscript.

A postscript would have been interesting, like after the police arrive and find everything, you see some movement in the clouds, more of the beings arriving/observing.

Those guys are often a riot, but that was a terrible interview.

This was great fun in IMAX.

A couple questions:

Why did the alien eat everything at the lasso show after only eating one horse at a time for weeks?
Why didn’t the Haywoods know the alien was eating horses so close to them? The first time at night that the alien came, was that ring of lights visible down the road the rodeo?
I thought the crowds at the rodeo were small; was the rodeo supposed to be successful? How could they afford to pay $10k/week for horses with only a few dozen people buying tickets?

I believe that they said they were just letting horses wander off into the distance to get picked up before.

They were holding the horse much closer this time.

The show was the first time they had built/performed this way, I think every other encounter was from a distance.

As for the money, he mentioned a german couple paying a lot of money to sleep over in his office, as well as likely money from childhood acting and a fat settlement over the gordie incident.

Not one of their better interviews. On the bright side I had never heard him interviewed before so I did learn some things

I really loved this; which came as a bit of a surprise as I only mostly liked Get Out and was very lukewarm on Us.

So what was up with the chimp stuff? We really enjoyed it but the chimp flashbacks didn’t fit in with me.

Anyway, great movie and great as a Sunday matinee at my local theater. I look forward to the movies he is yet to film.