NWN2 Rennaisance

Screw you guys, I’m going home and taking my Heal potions with me.

Do these new patches fix the OC so that I am not forced NPCs on me that I wouldn’t ever take with me in PNP?

There is no change from what it was originally. Sorry.

The MotB expansion was designed to avoid that sort of railroading though.

New Purgatorio trailer is up on YouTube now.

Man that trailer is boring. It certainly does not make me want to play the mod.

Oh look another one that likes to shit on free amatuer work. Is there some hole in the ground that you asses come from?

I think it looks great, but the writing/voice acting made me want to gouge out my ears with an axe. I’m perfectly fine with the game being unvoiced – nothing is really lost by having to read a mod’s writing. And in this case, my god is it irritating.

Truth.

I read on their forums that the voice acting in the trailers is just filler. They plan to redub with higher quality stuff. But yeah, I’d rather they not even bother and just stick with text.

Maybe Planescape just isn’t your thing. Also, it’s hard to capture in a trailer what makes this universe special. It’s not about big explosions, boobies and all that junk.

I am at the beginning of Act 3 in the OC of NWN2 and I have to say it is so much better then NWN1. I don’t get the hate, it is a fairly well executed story. I am enjoying it and eager to get to MotB as well. I still have NWN1 installed and some modules still unplayed. I still think NWN is one of the best game systems out there with a huge community contributing a lot of neat efforts to expand beyond “the box”. I have played modules from my youth - Keep on the Borderland, Ravenloft as well as great new original content. Keep it coming

You can also download a higher-quality version of it here. I’d say it’s looking pretty impressive, though those voices are a bit, umm, dinner theater.

BTW, for those who didn’t notice, the third and final chapter of Pool of Radiance Remastered was released last week. I finished it this weekend and it gets a thumbs-up: it’s a fairly meaty linear hack-n-slash which starts out slow, but picks up speed in the second act. For whoever was complaining about NWN 2 mods being too short, I’d say PoRR is maybe half the length of MotB: takes you from level 2 to 10.

There’s also Harp & Chrysanthemum, one of the better mods I’ve tried recently. The author also did The Birthday, an entry in Obsidian’s first mod-making contest.

Yeah, I just downloaded and installed PORR Chapter 3 and H&C. I had some trouble getting my character leveled up to 8 for the start of Chapter 3, so I downloaded Vordan’s Hero Creator module to export a character out for it. I’m going to give this new build a try: Cleric 3, Rogue 3, Blackflame Zealot 2

Hello. Just to let anyone who still cares, that NWN2 Gold will be coming out in April and comes with both the Mask of the Betrayer expansion and a coupon code for downloading Mysteries of Westgate. I would suggest that if you have never played NWN2 before, pick this up and avoid the OC and instead play Mysteries of Westgate and then Mask of the Betrayer (it will level you up if you don’t have at least level 18 LA+0 experience points).

NWN2 1.12 patch is out, but not all mods are updated for it yet. There should be an updated Tony_K’s AI coming out for NWN2 patch 1.12 supporting the portrait change clicks (it still works right now but doesn’t let you change player portraits). Reeron’s has been updated for it (version 5.0), and Kaedrin’s has as well (1.30). The combined pack hasn’t been finished yet, but should be in the next two days. I would highly recommend it for new players once it comes out, as it fixes many things to be more in line with 3.5E PnP (although Reeron has added a somewhat broken PrC called Mystic Theurge, so do not play one of those until you are familiar with editing character spellbooks), as well as the aforementioned Tony_K’s Companion and Monster AI (1.8+). I also always recommend the Less Obtrusive Buffs, SlimGUI (1.51 should be updated to 1.6 for the portrait stuff once Tony_K’s is updated), Companion Multiclassing, etc. One of these days I’ll get around to exporting my mod list to a web page or something.

I have some screenshots of my 1.11 version NWN2 MotB with the current version of the combined pack up on my Xfire profile: http://www.xfire.com/screenshots/kunikos/

I overall liked the OC. What I didn’t like was the first 10 or so hours of the OC. So I would say play the OC with the caveat that the first 10 hours/all of of chapter 1 is dull “below 7 on the 7-9 scale but still above NWN1 caliber” crap. After that it’s pretty good.

If you don’t like D&D or CRPGs ignore this post.

Meh. The story in MotB is so much better, and I would assume based on Ossian’s previous track record that MoW will also be so much better, than the OC that it may not even be worth it unless you are very new to D&D in general (and even then, I would argue that at level 7 it isn’t significantly more confusing than at level 1). Even then, by using the Recommended buttons and class kits you won’t really gimp yourself too badly. There’s also a mod out there that adds an in-game Player’s Handbook, which you can use to look up any spell, feat, etc in the game at any time (which is useful because for items which can cast spells, you can’t right-click their spells to find their information).

By the by, Kaedrin has a very nice website for his NWN2 CC work. His fletching mod is pretty swank (craft and enchant arrows yourself). It’s packed into the combined Reeron/Kaedrin mod, along with all his other mods.

I just picked up both last week. I’ve been playing through the OC. I’m in the first SPOILER? graveyard /SPOILER. So far it’s not that bad. It’s not great, but it seems like it’s being intentionally lite so far for newer players. There isn’t really even a story yet, except I’m travelling to Neverwinter with an item. I assume it starts to open up after that.

Yeah, it doesn’t really start to get that interesting until you start learning who is behind the attacks and who is in the CG intro trailer before the game.

Once you update NWN2 to 1.12, I’d really suggest installing Companion and Monster AI, and later when you start getting higher level you may want Less Obtrusive Spell Buffs (so you can avoid the FPS-draining, buff-ball effect of mages/clerics from lots of spells). Optionally, if you want you can also grab the Combined PrCs, Feats, and Spells 1.23 pack – it adds a whole bunch of new prestige classes, fixes to spells, new spells, new feats, and much more (I personally love how you can summon as many things as you please with it, no artificial limits anymore!).

Not really, when you get to Neverwinter the grunt work has only just begun. If you liked NWN1’s OC I wouldn’t worry too much. However If you hated NWN1’s OC then brace yourself for something similar. I don’t recall it being as bad, but it still reminded me of that slog.

Really? I thought NWN2’s OC was far and away better than NWN1’s, right from the beginning. Mind you, it doesn’t get really enjoyable until Act 2 (when you’re a bit higher level and the stakes are greater), but that’s where NWN1 fell apart.

The NWN 2 OC is a bit of a slog for most of Act I: not bad, but it doesn’t start to get interesting until after SLIGHT SPOILER you pick up Bishop, IMHO.

MotB is definitely much stronger, though. If you get bored of the OC before finishing, don’t feel bad about skipping ahead to MotB.