Obamacare is the law of the land

trump plumbing new depths of stupidity and maliciousness. Aside from causing serious harm to millions, he’ll end up costing taxpayers far more:

This year, cost-sharing payments have amounted to about $7 billion. Unless Congress moves to repeal or amend the Affordable Care Act—good luck with that—obligations of similar size will accrue through 2018 and beyond.

In other words, we’re about to see witness of the largest lawsuits, dollar-wise, in United States history.

What’s more, I think the lawsuits are viable. We’ve already seen a couple of district courts grant multi-million dollar judgments in litigation over risk corridor payments. And the risk corridor cases raise some tricky questions about what sorts of promises the federal government has made to insurers. The cost-sharing cases don’t. On the law, they’re really straightforward.

Now, Congress could always appropriate the money. That would stanch the bleeding and restore some confidence to the rattled insurance markets. Or, alternatively, Congress could prohibit the Judgment Fund from paying out any judgment in cost-sharing litigation, although that would amount to a government default on its obligations. The damage to the government’s reputation would be severe, as Craig Garthwaite and I discussed in this New York Times op-ed.

If Congress doesn’t act, it’s really the worst of all worlds. To compensate for the loss of cost-sharing payments, insurers will have to raise their premiums for silver plans. Because premium subsidies are keyed to the price of silver plans, the size of the subsidies will increase along with the rise in premiums. And because many more people are eligible for premium subsidies than for cost-sharing reductions, total federal outlays will actually increase.

So taxpayers will have to pay increased premium subsidies at the front end. Then they’ll also pay the cost-sharing money through litigation at the back end. It’s a financial bath, and for no good reason other than sheer political cussedness.

What a stupid, profligate, and unnecessary mess.

More edits: Congress is not going to pay:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/918684022129049601

Less insured for more money. So very Republican.

Edit: And as an aside, our company just renewed our coverage for the year; the choice was a 10% increase in premiums or increase the deductibles. They chose the later (it doubled.) For our parent company their costs rose 20% (they’re in PA.) AFAIK that has nothing to do with ACA but rather our insane health care system. Before long insurance just won’t be affordable even for employer provided coverage.

My employer is switching back to Highmark Blue Shield for next year because Capital Blue wanted to make a serious increase in rates. We still are getting a 5% increase in monthly costs but most notably, the emergency room deductible is going up $100 to $200. Talk about a deterrent…

If $100 is stopping you from going to the emergency room, then you probably don’t need to go to the emergency room.

or you’re so broke that the $100 may feel just as bad as the emergency.

That said, people do overuse emergency rooms.

Found out I got one more year of reprieve from having to go on Trumpcare, but that goes away next year unless Congress extends it.

It’s not me that I’m concerned about. There are many employees of the company I work for who take our health insurance and that becomes a big hit to their pocket for a child that needs care and they don’t make IT salaries to help cover it.

It’s double the previous cost on top of an increase in the monthly plan payment. Where does it stop?

Serfdom. We will pledge our fealty and work for our feudal lords and in return they shall grant us healthcare, a hovel, and gruel!

Just a little FYI:

Most insurance plans make a distinction between “Urgent Care” and “Emergency Room” care nowadays.

Urgent Care facilities are places much like clinics where you can go to get stitches, strep tests, medicine for a severe ear-ache, that kind of thing. Basically, it’s a place you would go if you’re not in imminent risk of death, but it’s not something that can wait for a day or two for you to make an appointment with your regular doctor.

The ER is… well the ER. Ideally you should be going there only with a corresponding 911 call.

My own plan has a $50 deductible for Urgent Care and a $500 deductible for the ER.

Dude, I’m not a child. I know the difference.

My Urgent Care co-pay is $75. The whole thing sucks.

I’ve been to the ER twice in the last year for my son’s asthma. He was not in immediate danger of death, but instead his doctor told us, “You need to go to the hospital because we don’t have the meds he needs.”

There are huge number of places where you’re not going to find 24 hour urgent care facilities. So when you need stitches or whatever at 8 PM on a Sunday you’re going to the ER.

Then you’re a better-informed man than I – I had no idea there was such a thing as “Urgent Care” until this year.

Yeah, this is the first I’ve ever heard of it. How do I find an Urgent Care facility near me? Is there a website or something that tracks these things?

Most insurance will have info on their website or via their phone number on urgent care. Urgent care is much cheaper than the ER and is appropriate for stitches, the initial stages of back pain, fevers and so forth - things below the level of a severe wound or broken bone but still in need of swift attention. I’ve used urgent care a couple of times and it was quite helpful.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=urgent+care

Chick-fil-A is a very religious company, whose owners hold very strong christian views, which puts them at odds with various things like gay rights.

But the flip side is that they reportedly treat their workers extremely well, and also make very delicious chicken sandwiches.

Thanks!

Looks like there is one facility near me.

I loved this review of it on Google Maps:

Ha. Sounds like you can give that one a pass.

If you live in an urban area, you’ve surely seen them. They are everywhere. They are storefront businesses in strip malls, usually. They all have different names.

Thaaaaat’s debatable.

My wife loves Chick-fil-A. I don’t mind them, but find them extremely expensive.

Luckily, my wife usually gets a craving to eat Chick-Fil-A only on Sundays. And being a Christian Company, they’re closed on Sundays, so I fill her craving by getting her the Spicy Chicken Sandwich from Wendy’s, Hardee’s or Culver’s. Personally I find all 3 of those to be about the same quality as Chick-Fil-A’s sandwich. Just a little bit cheaper.