Oblivion problems

I’ve tried all three and not a one fixed my crashes.

I even got a friend to send me that codec file and I replaced it. The game still freakin crashes.

On my GF6800, I also get weird FPS plummets, where it’ll go from high 40’s down to single digits when looking in certain directions. It’s really annoying.

What’s all this about the Matroska codec pack? I don’t have my copy of Oblivion yet, but I have a friend that cannot get it to run. IN fact he even had installation issues the first time (weird). Is it on the CD?

QuickTip: if the bink intro movies stutter, turn on agp fast writes. Fixed it for me.

I can’t imagine why people still pay $50 - $60 for this kind of abuse when they can play it on a console and have it work perfectly as soon as you turn it on. Yeah, you have to buy a 360, but it’s absolutely worth avoiding the aggravation I see in this and many other threads.

It’s not worth the ass reaming just for player-made mods, many of which won’t arrive for months and are always of wildly varying quality.

It was worth the extra $10 to me to be able to stick the disc in the 360 and play for three hours without ever thinking about resolution, crashes, codecs, drivers, blah blah… instead I simply played the game I purchased.

Yuck. I happen to love mods for Morrowind whether they are of “wildly varying quality” or not. I also had a ton of fun making my own house to live in, adding the old Daggerfall music etc. There’s a lot to be said for having the freedom to do what you want to the game…

Yeah, it makes you completely ignore the game in the box because you’re too busy messing around to actually enjoy playing anything.

But whatever… you guys have fun playing system admin! I’m going to get some sleep so I can spend three or more hours playing the game tomorrow night!

Yeah, it makes you completely ignore the game in the box because you’re too busy messing around to actually enjoy playing anything.

Bit of a cheap shot there Dave. For some people the “messing around” is a big part of the fun, just as it was in the Construction Set craze of the '80s. What’s wrong with that?

It’s like they want us to move to consoles…

Obviously the lack of sleep is affecting your ability to open your one eye.

Hmmm, I installed it and played it for 5 1/2 hours straight without any problems. That is until I tried to exit the game. Then, “Oblivion has encountered a serious problem and has to shut down”…

Have read quite a few threads on the official boards about the game locking up after 5 minutes or so. Speculation about Athlon 64’s, soundcards, codecs and so on. Bethesda is quiet, very quiet. They need Wardell to buy them out!

(And if the game has a problem with Athlon 64’s, that’s not the processors fault.)

Maybe we can blame it on Starforce, that’d be fun right there. :-)
(disclaimer: The game is not using starforce… it was a joke, so no need to post it on your blog and have it become official news… like FutureMark yesterday)

Just read through the sound card problem thread…
If People disable the “Windows Audio” service, the game launches… Glad I’m not doing Tech Support at Bethesda right now =)

• Their forums are a mess…

Also a lot of performance problems with AntiAliasing for some users.

Oh whell, at least we no longer have to tweak EMS and HIMEM.SYS =)

Hmmm, I installed it and played it for 5 1/2 hours straight without any problems.

Yeah, cold comfort to those who are having problems but I’m not experiencing any issues either (and with an Athlon 64 x2, so I guess those problems are not universal).

Well, no problems except for when I tried to install and put in the “extras” DVD first by mistake and then when I put in the game disc couldn’t find any setup.exe. Freaked out for a couple minutes thinking it was a fabrication error until I realized the drive still thought the extras DVD was in the drive.

It doesn’t. I’m playing on an Athlon64 3400, and it hasn’t even hiccuped for me. No crashes, no problems.

Yeah, I’m among the folks experiencing a few tech problems with the game. I would get a 2-5 second lockup every few minutes. Mouse and keyboard wouldn’t respond, and the video would freeze, before returning back to normal.

After hitting the tech forum, it does appear to be some sort of an audio related problem. I renamed the “Battle” music folder, containing MP3’s that are dynamically played when an enemy spots you, and that cleared up most of the problems. I still get the pause when the ambience music changes tracks. Not sure why, I have a super high-end rig; perhaps it’s a result of some codec pack I installed on the PC at some point. It occurs whether I’m simply browsing through the character inventory screen, talking to an NPC, or in the midst of combat. I’ve got a dual display, and the CPU/memory utilization app I’m running on the secondary LCD doesn’t freeze, or spike, during my Oblivion glitches. A bit frustrating, but eschewing the music will get me through until I can find a fix.

For the record:
A64 X2 4800+
2 GB Corsair XMS (2x1GB)
A8N32-SLI
X-Fi Music
ATI 1900XT

Ditto. Okay, in fairness, 50% of the time you ALT-TAB, it crashes, else I actually had a few more issues with the 360 version. Two specifically: once, the START button completely stopped working entirely…not my controller, which worked fine (and since) on a reboot. The other was five minute load times brought on by an apparently (official TES boards) known issue with cache fragmentation. Easily cleared by holding the button down on your controller when you restart Oblivion.

Okay, in fairness, 50% of the time you ALT-TAB, it crashes

Yeah that makes it hard to play WoW & Oblivion at the same time

I can’t imagine why

Yeah, you have to buy a 360,

Asked and answered. The general 360 library doesn’t much interest me and $300+ for a console expenditure is nontrivial for me. In fact, I can barely budget Oblivion itself at the moment…

FWIW, I resolved my momentary freezing issues in Oblivion by uninstalling the K-Lite codec pack from my system. All’s well, and the game is fantastic. “Sick” day for me today!