Occasional livestreaming [was Live streaming on YouTube and Twitch every Mon, Wed, and Fri at 6pm Pacific!]

I wish I knew how to set up a reliable URL for the stream. In the meantime, it should always be the “featured video” from the channel page.

I’ll announce next week’s schedule shortly.

I really enjoying tonight, despite the violent death by bear and the ignoble death by drowning. Very realistic! That was far better than I thought it was going to be. Suddenly Far Cry Primal with stakes that matter? Yes please.

-Tom

It’s really easy and if you are already using Photoshop for adding the text you are 75% the way there:

Easy instructions:

Every time you use the text tool it will add the text in a new layer (it should be anyway):

Right click the layer for a bunch of options. The one you are interested in is Blending options. Also the ability to copy and paste layer styles streamlines workflow so you can easily replicate a style on other text layers (see saving and applying styles below for an alternate method as well):

You will then get a screen like this. Play around with all the options you like (click the check box to enable a style and also each style has its own configurable options. Don’t forget that most will let you alter the colour - so you can have a white drop shadow as per my examples on your black text.

You can also click on New Style to save it as a custom style, which you can then easily apply to any future layer by clicking said style in the styles palette:

That will let you maintain consistency across projects. You will probably want to design a few different text layer styles depending on what colour text you are using (white drop shadow on black text, black drop shadow on white text, etc, etc).

I am far from a PS guru, so others may have good advice for common recommended options to improve readability of overlaid text. I’ve always used layer styles, but for all I know there are other ways as well. PS is like that - it’s just a big box of tools.

Good luck!

Youtube streaming seems really bad at that. On my TV it loads with a ‘steam is starting soon’ message leading the user to believe it will start without any further action from them. They should really do something about that.

I wasn’t really interested in FC:P, but the survival mode is intriguing. Family duties took me away from the bulk of the stream this morning, so I will need to check it out.

Could it be that all these 2 bit survival early access games are going to have a positive effect in leading the AAA guys to develop more replayability focused survival modes to their titles? I guess you could argue that trend began with horde modes and such, but more variability in the mix won’t be a bad thing.

[sorry to semi-hijack your thread Tom, just want to finish this loop with Brian]

This guy managed to work it out (did have troubles as well), so maybe drop him a message to ask how he managed to get it to record for him?

@Tom, i noticed you have two youtube profiles, the Qt3 one and then your Tom Chick one. It does not seem they are ‘linked’ as in when you are on one you can easily get access to the other. I noticed this after starting on your Qt3 one (I agree your wargame cardboard square corner cutter is pretty geeky!) then ended up on your Tom Chick one (your cat and dog are cool!) then got stuck, i could not navigate back to the ‘games’ Qt3 profile. Is that by design? I think you can link them by subscribing to each in each profile, or something like that.

Sharaleo, that drop shadow stuff is great! Thanks so much for the tips.

Zak, they’re two separate channels, so I think it’s operating as intended. I don’t figure people want to see videos of my pets, so I just put that up on a channel under my name. The game-related stuff is under the Qt3 channel. I control them from the same account, but they’re supposed to be separate. I have two Twitter accounts for the same reason. Not to try to hide anything, but so that I don’t bug people with personal stuff. I suppose I could put links in the channel description? I’ll take a look.

-Tom

Yeah i had a look again and not sure how i got to your shadowcat video from the Qt3 channel you linked here? I don’t think i did a specific search for ‘Tom Chick’, i’m pretty sure i found via the Qt3 site somehow, although looking through the video’s on that channel i can’t see shadowcat…anyway somehow i got out of the Qt3 one and then couldn’t get back via the Tom Chick one, so used the back button on my browser. Anyway tiny details of little import if they are meant to be separate channels.

In terms of the fps thing you were mentioning upthread, i understand youtube makes all video’s 30fps, and the advice i see from many youtubers is to record at 30fps also, although i’m sure some experienced folks can chime in on that score.

Tuesday: Battlefleet Gothic Armada single-player campaign
Wednesday: Lichdom Battlemage on the PS4
Thursday: Star Ruler 2
Friday: Star Ruler 2 with the Heralds add-on

I’m looking forward to the Lichdom Battlemage stream. It was a game that I’ve had for so long on my wishlist, but never able to decide if I really want to play it based on the comments in the negative reviews.

Also, watching your stream of Renowned Explorers was both entertaining, and at times face palming as you’d overlook certain (what I deemed obvious) things. In saying that, it can’t be easy to talk and play a game, so my hat is off to you Tom.

Tom, I think that image should say April 18th. Otherwise, you’ll be streaming Ratchet & Clank and Battlefleet Gothic Armada on the same day.

Dammit - I missed this livestream. I’ve watched a few minutes of it, since Im playing Survival myself. Are you playing on Expert, Tom?

They don’t make this easy to find, but here ya go:

Nevermind - I saw it was on hard. Time to watch some more!

Oops, fixed! Math, man. Thanks for the heads-up.

Oh no, what sorts of things did I miss? I hate that!

-Tom

I want to request Doom (2016) for streaming after it comes out. The real thing, not the “beta” you already posted. :^)

Single player campaign btw.

I want to watch him suffer through MP.

This time I’ll remember not to get to the stream too early. And if you are there early, remember to hit refresh on your browser after the stream start time.

Ooo. This is exciting. I’ve always loved Tom’s audio commentary on games (found my way to Qt3 via the 3MA podcast), so a stream seems great too.

I’m confused though: When I saw Samurai Warriors 4 above I got excited thinking I could buy a good Dynasty-Warriors game on PC, but it looks like it’s PS4 only? Is Tom streaming console games? I didn’t even know that was possible…

By the way Tom, I was the ‘Mike’ who commentated on your REIS video, in case you were wondering.

I enjoyed the video, a lot of live streams don’t make good YouTube videos, but yours did and I recommend anyone who missed it to give it a view. I notice it was also recommended on the REIS Steam forum