Occasional livestreaming [was Live streaming on YouTube and Twitch every Mon, Wed, and Fri at 6pm Pacific!]

I was pretty disappointed in Ratchet & Clank on PS4 in last night’s stream. It really does feel like the original R&C, which I thought was just as disappointing. Most of the gameplay consists of shooting bad guys with different guns to level them up. Very little variety of gameplay and enemies. Only the guns provide some variety, and that wasn’t as interesting to me.

Still, that part on the train last night was my favorite. As well as the part against the boss.

I can certainly understand that sentiment. But how else are you going to get a Ratchet & Clank fix on the PS4? :( I’m sort of in “I’ll take whatever I can get” mode.

I ended up jumping back in for a while last night after the stream and I discovered that I really do like the card collection stuff. I’m kind of bummed I didn’t suss that out before streaming, because I would liked to show it off. There’s also a really cool wide-open level with a jetpack that can’t possibly have been in the PS2 version. I’m hoping for more discoveries like that as I progress. And, of course, there’s the challenge mode. I suspect I’ll be seeing this through to the bitter (or otherwise) end. Becuase, I mean, really, what am I going to do? Not play a Ratchet & Clank game?

-Tom

I know, right? That was news to me as well. At least in terms of how dead-easy it is. The Playstation 4 logs directly into your YouTube account without mucking around with any intermediary software like you have to do on the PC. I’m actually kind of bummed you can’t do that with the Wii U because I’d like to stream the new StarFox. But leave it to Nintendo to arrive late to anything online.

Good lord, you people with your multiple online personas! If you mean the Mike who was giving me an invaluable tip about raising my score by clearing out the starting area, that was super helpful.

Thanks so much. But to be fair, I think that was me recommending myself. :) I linked to my video when someone asked if there were any good playthrough videos.

-Tom

So, uh, change of plans. I have no idea what the expectations are in terms of livestreaming, so I’m not sure is this is really a jerk move on my part. But I won’t be doing Battlefleet Gothic Armada tonight on account of an embargo on the single-player campaign, which is what I wanted to show you guys. I’ll probably just do a video I can post when the embargo lifts on Thursday. And I won’t be doing the PS4 version of Lichdom: Battlemage on Wednesday for reasons that you can thank me for when I post a comparison video to the PC version later this week. Egad.

Instead, today will be more Ratchet & Clank because I want to show off some cooler parts I found after streaming yesterday and then push further into the game. Apologies for any bait-and-switch.

Tomorrow will be another stab at Far Cry Primal’s survival mode because, dammit, I’m determined not to drown in a stupid cave. And because I think it looks so much nicer on the PC than it does on the PS4 where I was playing it previously.

And then Thursday and Friday will still be Star Ruler 2 with the expansion and a mess of Star Ruler 2 + expansion keys to give out Friday night at 7pm. That’s totally written in stone!

-Tom

On the YouTube channel it’s not listing tonight’s stream. Instead it has the Renowned Explorers stream from April 12.

It’s showing up now.

Holy crap. Yeah, it’s really terrible. I just looked this up. The PS4 version is a hot mess.

I am most interested in Battlefleet Gothic Armada at this point, so I’d like to know when that will be up again. If that’s still going to be Thursday then I’ll keep an eye out.

Thursday and Friday are Star Ruler 2. I had to bump Battlefleet Gothic Armada because I wasn’t allowed to stream the single-player campaign yet. I’ll fit it in next week, since I definitely plan to be playing it.

Another stab at Far Cry Primal’s survival mode – with permadeath, of course – in about ten minutes! But this time with the way prettier graphics on the PC.

-Tom

An interview with the actual professional linguists:

Tom, the offline video background on here is still showing the promo art you made for Stories: the Path of Destinies.

Star Ruler 2 streaming in less than an hour, starting at 6pm Pacific. I intend to actually play today instead of spending so much time blathering about what each screen does. And at 7pm Pacific, I have five copies of the game plus add-on to give away. Given the number of live viewers I get, that puts the odds very much in your favor of winning!

-Tom

I just caught up on your Dark Souls 3 stream Tom and I have to say it was cathartic watching someone else fight that first boss fight :) Are you going to do anymore Renowned Explorers play? As I was thinking about recording more plays of it.

It’s indie week! A different very indie game every day this week, starting at 6pm Pacific.

www.youtube.com/quartertothreevideos/live

4/25: Galak-Z (2D space combat rogue-like)
4/26: The Next World (story-driven survival-base strategy sci-fi)
4/27: Party Hard (pixel-graphics ultra-violent murder simulator)
4/28: Into the Stars (FTL with 3D graphics and JRPG combat)
4/29: Subterrain (zombies in space action/strategy/survival) plus 7pm giveaway

-Tom

That Neon Chrome game looks pretty cool. I got a heavy Crusader vibe from it, which makes it a must-purchase.

How far did you make it last night Tom? I left after you finally passed 1-3. Did you make it through 1-4 as well?

According to the steam page The Next World is a visual novel. Is watching the stream going to spoil it to the point that there’s no reason to play it afterward? I’ll probably check out the steam anyway since I had never even heard of it before it got brought up here.

Looking forward to the Party Hard and Subterrain streams later this week as I’m interested in both games and Tom is surprisingly good at this streaming stuff.

I am happy to say I got to 2-1 in Galak-Z and, boy, am I glad I did. What a cool game.

Unfortunately, it kind of will. :( I’ve played it enough to push past the intro stuff and get into the meat of the game. The first thirty minutes is basically a whole lot of reading and I didn’t really figure that would make for a good stream. I’ve also gotten past a pretty cool reveal that I would have hated to have spoiled. I’m not going to reference it directly when I stream today, and I don’t know how much or whether it will come up in the context of the gameplay. But, yeah, The Next World is the sort of story-driven game that will be drained of some of its appeal if you spend a few hours watching someone else play. Making different choices will change a lot of the story, of course, and you can choose your protagonist early on, which I figure makes a really big difference. But it’s really about the hand-crafted narrative.

If you’re not sure if it’s your bag, it might be worth watching a little of the streaming to get a feel for it. For instance, the quality of the writing is certainly a central component in these games. I’m not entirely sold on that aspect of The Next World. I’ll talk a bit about that at the front, and the gameplay stuff, before I get into the plot stuff, and I’ll be sure to warn folks before I start digging into story stuff. So if you just check out the beginning of the stream, you should be okay.

I think – I’m not sure, but I think – Subterrain is really good.

-Tom

Has anyone tried watching these on YouTube on iOS? It doesn’t let me post to the chat. I’m logged in, but any time I try to chat it just says “Error posting message” every time. Anyone run into that?

I like the part where Tom thinks a van is a column.

Thanks for trying to diagnose my problems. Never got chat to work through the YouTube app or the YouTube Gaming app on iOS, but I could use Chrome on iOS (as long as I requested the desktop page instead of the mobile). Googling it just found a lot of other people having the same problem with no apparent cause or fix.

Entertaining stream though Tom. I’m almost sold on the game, even as “game jammy” as it was, just based on wanting to see the rest of the levels (like you mentioned).