Official Chrome Extensions Gallery Is Up!

Chrome has Greasemonkey’s user script functionality built in. That’s why if you check userscripts.org now, scripts are showing up as Chrome compatible.

Whoah, I totally missed that, thanks.

Interesting to hear and took me one step closer to using chrome, BUT can you actually configure the scripts in chrome? Some greasemonkey scripts i use on firefox can be configured there and can’t be on chrome where they don’t work.

After messing around a bunch: Everything is just a bit worse in chrome feature wise. Greasemonkey script support seems worse (not only is script management worse due to listing them in the same list as addons, but unless i’m missing it, you don’t have the configure options firefox has, meaning editing the script manually). addons are worse. It just isn’t ready to step up to the plate. My pages already load nearly instantly with firefox, loading just a little more instantly isn’t an advantage to me.

Maybe if you’re running a 56k connection on a memory limited e-machine, otherwise, not so much…

I run a 64-bit quadcore 2.33ghz 4gb ram machine with an SSD boot/pagefile disk and can authoritatively say that Chrome opens up literally the instant I click the launch icon, and Firefox takes anywhere from 6-9 seconds. Likewise, pages do indeed load quicker on Chrome than Firefox.

That said, FF is still my main browser because it’s the only one that supports color profiles. But there’s no denying that Chrome is tighter and quicker under the hood.

oh i don’t argue that chrome opens up faster, because it does, but i generally leave firefox open most of the time. I just don’t think the page loading advantage of chrome is a huge deal on a mid to high end consumer connection. Then it comes down to features (which firefox unquestionably wins) being valued over a bit smaller memory hit to me.

Right now chrome is just good enough to get me thinking about it and looking in to replicating features i’m currently using on firefox, but not good enough to seal the deal. For example, i was just messing with www.3x3links.com trying to replicate the look and feel of firefox speed dial (couldn’t find a chrome addon for it), but after a while, it came to me that no matter how much time i spent configuring it, it would always be a crappy version of speed dial.

I run a much slower computer and I can authoritatively say that Chrome opens up pretty much instantly and Firefox opens up pretty much instantly. I can also authoritatively say that I can’t really tell any difference in page load times. So I can authoritatively say that I don’t know why you are “authoritatively” saying things based solely on your subjective experience.

I guess my question is how many extensions do you run in Firefox vs. Chrome? Because I don’t see what you’re seeing. Chrome may open very slightly faster for me than Firefox but both are open almost instantly as is. Page loads are the same. Sometimes gmail seems to actually load faster in Firefox, which goes completely against the conventional wisdom. Maybe my PC hates Chrome and is egging me on!

For me, functionality in my browser is much more important than whether one opens a web page a second faster than another. And as much as I try Chrome, it still falls in the category of “trying to catch up to Firefox” in terms of add-ons and overall functionality.

Lastpass is awesome.
Currently using:
LastPass
Adthwart
IE Tab
RSS Subcription
Google Reader Notifier
Auto Pagerize
Send From Gmail (no button)
Docs PDF/Powerpoint Viewer

Dropped the Gmail checker as I switched to Digsby to do email notifications/ims/social network crap.

Up until the latest version, I was in the same boat as you – Firefox’s slowness was less important than Chrome’s lack of functionality – but Chrome 4 changed that around for me. (But I was never a heavy extension user – Firebug, Flashblock, and that was basically it.)

I don’t suppose anyone found a good replacement for Speed dial. I’ve been using it for a long time in firefox and it is one of my favorite. only thing i’ve found is using the website 3x3links.com which is significantly worse.

I need some keyboard shortcuts, Chrome. This is fucking ridiculous.

ctrl+b, j, r, g to get to Quartertothree. no longer :(

Really? I just click on the address bar, hit ‘q’ and then enter. Voila, “New Posts” page on Qt3.

Ctrl-L q.

Using the mouse is for noobs.

I can do the keyboard entering 1/10th of the time.

Is there any way to tweak when it shuts down scripts on a page or at least add exceptions? It seems to get false positives sometimes and stop scripts from working on pages, requiring a refresh. Quite annoying.

Can you do Ctrl-L/Q/Enter?

After using chrome for nearly a week, i find myself saying Aw snap an awful lot due to just how often i see that message. That and the “this page is using too much memory so we broke it so you have to reload it” message. The end result is a lot of refreshing pages to get them to work when chrome decides it is having “one of those days.”

Back to firefox, although chrome does have a lot of potential i can’t see anyone using it if they used almost any greasemonkey scripts and/or addons in firefox due to how poor chrome’s support in those areas is.

I think it’s only a matter of time before Chrome catches up with Greasemonkey and FF add-ons.

As an FF poweruser and add-on addict, I’ve also been using Chrome exclusively for about a week and haven’t had the issues that you describe (after the first day or so, anyway). Even after loading it up with way more extensions than I would ever normally want to install (just to see if Chrome would blink). No issues whatsoever, which has been surprising and nice.