Old World (pka Ten Crowns) from Soren Johnson

Haha I totally missed that!

I was looking at the Steam page when I noticed that it’s already in my library! I still have the Epic version installed, but I may dump that and see if existing owners get the Steam version early. Even if we have to wait, I guess we get it for free if we bought it on Epic.

Thanks, Soren

Hmmm not for me! :)

What? It’s not in my Steam library.

I wonder if that’s because I was an early beta tester (before the Epic deal) and what I’m seeing is a very old build. I’ll have to download it and check it out.

That’s pretty darn nifty!

Love it!

Where is this in the menu?

I’m always a little annoyed when I beat a 4X game and they don’t show me an animated map timeline.

The timeline is the hourglass button in the upper left. F5 is the hotkey. After the last patch, you’ll see the “Export GIF” button under the timeline map.

Press it and it’ll drop the GIF into MyGames/OldWorld/GIF in your Users folder, complete with a message reminding you it’s there.

-Tom

Nice!

I’ve finally managed to get into this game.

There are a lot of moving parts, and I still don’t fully grasp all the rules (especially surrounding religion and ‘intercessions’. But I’m now at a point where I’ve managed to win a game on the setting level with the AI, and I’m starting (starting!) to get an idea about how to develop my cities. I usually fall apart in the mid-game despite a reasonable early game - it’s too easy to lose focus, and I never pay enough attention to what my leader or governors can be doing.

So at long last, I’m really enjoying it. My main complaint is that it seems to demand quite a lot of compute for a game that isn’t real time, nor obviously graphically heavy (though the map is very pretty).

I can’t help you with religion without writing out a bunch of stuff – and don’t think I won’t! – but I can tell you real quick that “intercessions” are just a way to boost another character’s opinion of you. You can “influence” for a cost of some gold for a +40 boost. But if you can swing an intercession, which requires getting in good with the head of a family (oligarch) or the head of a religion (patriarch or matriarch) and is limited to members of that family or religion, you can score a +80 boost! What’s great about this is that it will usually push you into another relationship bracket.

So basically an “intercession” is just a more powerful but more difficult “influence”.

This is such a cool system in Old World. Think of them as character classes. They can be just as important as your choice of nation and families!

-Tom

Anyone have recommendations on the best way to learn Old World? (Apologies if it’s covered up-thread somewhere… I’ve only just gotten around to giving it a try and haven’t been following the thread.)

I’ve played through the Learn To Play scenarios (maybe haven’t finished the last one) and they’re pretty good at explaining very high level stuff. But I feel I have almost no understanding of the underlying mechanics. Things like: What are all these tiny icons in the tooltips representing? Why exactly do I want to influence other individuals and how broadly should I be spreading that influence around? Are there other kinds of victory besides completing your ambitions? If these were explained, they didn’t sink in yet.

I’m ready to just dive into a regular game and try learning under fire, but if there are some other solid resources out there, I’m figuring you all know about them…

Play on easy and YOLO through it. I couldn’t get my brain around the what or the why of OW rules until I actually observed the system in action for a while.

Hopefully someone will have some good suggestions for you.

There also is this thread where some questions about gameplay have been answered:

Yes! Have me come over to your house and park in a chair beside you, watching over your shoulder and chattering excitedly as you play! You’re guaranteed to foster a greater appreciation for the design after only ten or twelve hours!

Seriously, though, that’s a great question and I look forward to hearing folks’ answers. I had already learned it by the time the manual was available, so I can’t really speak to how well that works. And I don’t even use the manual, because I’ve more or less built my own by playing and taking notes. But I know there is a manual by now!

I’ve been tempted to break down the design to try to present it like I would a boardgame, but I’m sure Old World tutorial videos and write-ups are a dime a dozen by now. I’ll be curious to hear how you guys have learned the game and what you think is the best way for new players to pick it up.

-Tom

I miss doing this with my brother as kids.

Also he’s bad at Civ, but whatchagonnado? :D

The Old World Geek squad where do I sign up? Hey I’ll spring for the T-Shirts, but not the airfares.