Old World (pka Ten Crowns) from Soren Johnson

Wait, you mean they implemented the Powermonger pigeons into a modern strategy game again?? That’s one of my bucket list items.

Nope, nothing like that: it’s simply that you are limited to the number of orders per turn, like in some more traditional early wargames.

I remember how cool that sounded when Alan Emrich tried to do it in Masters of Orion 3. Fortunately, this time it’s being attempted by someone who knows what he’s doing.

-Tom

In my (very short) experience, right from the very start, you have to make choices. And it didn’t strike me as being counter intuitive at all, although I sometimes had a hard time keeping track of what number of orders I actually had left.
I also think that limitation is only for mobile units? It didn’t feel to me I was limited for cities, but maybe I didn’t pay attention enough.
This game definitely will need some Tomsplaining for challenged people like me to grasp its greatness.

They made a moo3?

No, they didn’t! But they tried…

I just wanted to pop in and thank @SorenJohnson, @Leyla_Johnson and team for releasing an ARM native Mac build of Old World. Performance isn’t exactly great on a 13” MacBook Pro (yet?), but I’ll take it happily!

Any thoughts on whether controller support & a couch-distance-scaled UI might be coming in future?

Diego

This would be big for me too - I love playing stuff like Civ and Age of Wonders on the couch with controller!

I guess it depends whether a console release was planned, where controller is a requirement. Much less likely to be done purely for PC I’d think.

What? Oh my that’s awesome. Time to go install EGS on my MBA.

Just so I install the right thing (and because EGS doesn’t have much in the way of version information!) can I ask if this is the mainline game, the test branch version, or something else?

Just download it as normal, you don’t need to do anything special. It doesn’t mention M1 any where. In fact EGS lists it as needing an Intel processor under system requirements. It is a universal app though. I just double checked.

Of course if Epic loses their lawsuit, they will probably remove Epic from the Mac out of spite, so don’t get too comfortable with it. :-P

I don’t think this will be playable long term on my little M1 MBA. Running at 1440x900 the fonts were a little too fuzzy and my machine quickly got up to 175º. Glad to see they are supporting it. Will definitely check it out once I have an M1 desktop.

The EGS client itself is miserable on MacOS, unfortunately. It’s like they hired a dev team from 2005 to port it. Not that you need to spend a ton of time in it once Old World is installed.

I’d expect the release version of Old World to be speedier once the debug tools are removed. And hopefully it’ll sell enough hotcakes to justify another round of performance polish on the ports. :)

Ha! Thanks for confirming, installing now.

Steam isn’t much better. It was at least usable last time I checked, something it couldn’t say last winter.

Yeah the EGS itself is laggy & miserable on ARM Mac. But Old World for certain reports as a universal app. Not sure if you can launch it completely stand-alone to avoid the extra EGS layer though. If you try that with Phoenix Point it reliably crashes.

One additional suggestion - turn down the graphic preset to low (if you can handle it) and see how performance and heat change. I wouldn’t call it good exactly, but it’s better & more responsive than at the high DPI / high quality preset it ships with.

Diego

+1. I’ve been playing a fair bit of Civ6 lately even though it’s by far my least favorite Civ — Soren’s Civ4 is clearly the best :-). But I’m sick of sitting at my desk in front of the computer all day and Civ6 is available on the Xbox and I prefer to be playing games while sitting on the sofa.

Same, now that I work from home all the time I want to move away from the desk and onto the couch in the evenings. So I just plug the PC into the big OLED TV and play controller games.

Thankfully many traditionally mouse-type games that I like support controller on PC now (Civs, AoWs, XCOMs, ARPGs, even MMOs), thanks to console versions.

For this article this is what I have to say:
Never.Say.Never.

I spotted the line you’re referring to ;D