Old World (pka Ten Crowns) from Soren Johnson

Honestly I suspect the processor may be the culprit but

a) it usually isn’t a hard stop/ prevent load
b) the error message is not indicative of processor issues

Minimum spec on the store page is AMD R9 290. I’m with you in that I don’t know how it stacks up, but I googled a benchmark between that and your HD7850 here:

That looks like the R9 290 is the faster card, so it might be a matter of the GPU not meeting minimum reqs. Again, just shooting in the dark here!

Just fyi but running on my 1060 gaming laptop, it was struggling a little bit running at 2560x1440. I mean totally playable, but the fans weren’t happy with me, and it did feel sluggish to pan the map.

Yeah, thanks for checking. Was really hoping it wasn’t, because there have been cases where my computer is below minimum spec but the game can run still. Not great, mind, but enough to play a TBS game.

I’ve never seen a flat ‘can’t start’ issue like this. I suppose I could try downloading it and running it on my wifes laptop, except that

It’s with her at work
So I’d only be able to use it at night
When it would be competing with other options.

Having to run it on her laptop would severely curtail any ability to play it.

So I’ve been rewatching these this evening(watched the first couple as they were released), and they’re totally not what I’m looking for, because they’re a first run through. So Quill18, much though I enjoy his streaming, is just doing what I would be doing in terms of making decisions without having any context to make them beyond the tooltips. I’d like someone who’s actually got many games under their belt to explain why they’re making decisions when they make them. Like that video Soren made when he released OTC, in fact.

Wonder if it’s VRAM related and doesn’t have enough to fully start up the game.

There are a few current ones that have been posted in the last couple of days that might be ok.

Unfortunately, at this point I think Streamers only play games they are paid to play. Quill18 definitely seems to be guilty of that.

Does DasTactics have anything for this title? He generally does what you are looking for, I think.

Not that I can see.

On Twitch? There’s nothing on his Youtube channel after that playthrough.

Sorry, didn’t mean Quill18, just that YouTubers are starting to release some stuff.

So does Adekyn, but he’s doing Farm Manager at the moment. He does lean more toward the management sim end of the strategy spectrum anyway.

I had the same problem and the only way to mitigate it was disabling antialias. I’ve been having this problem with a lot of recent games and it is sincerely very annoying.

I will buy it, partly due to your and @KevinC ’s enthusiasm. But I don’t play computer games much in the summer and I suspect that if I try it now I’ll get frustrated and so I will wait till I have the time to do it justice and additional work has been done to orient new players a little better. If anything Tom’s diary entry has me really intrigued, I’d just rather enjoy our brief summer outdoors rather than sitting in front of a screen 😎

Sorry if I bummed you out.

I did, when I was a new player! But the two big problems with new player feedback is that:

1. New players are new, and aren’t always forceful and confident in their assessments. They might not even realise they were e.g. confused until much later.

2. New players turn into not-new players, who have other interesting feedback about different things. So while every patch might get feedback on a slew of features, you only get feedback about being a new player once.

Plus, not a few new players have the habit of solving these things by trial and error, so don’t consider this important enough to leave feedback on.

I’m one of those, and in my latest game, Trials of Fire, I trashed my first 5 playthroughs as basically experiments, at least one of them ending due to very obvious mistakes, like leaving the warrior exposed.

There’s a lot of info in that game, enough that someone largely unfamiliar with the genre struggles at the start, i.e. me.

In the meantime, at some intermediate difficulty, I am being fought evert step of the way by the AI. No cakewalk this.

So did I, and I’ve been playing these sorts of games since the first Civilization. There’s a lot of unfamiliar ground.

In early access, I was winning 2/3 of the time at Glorious. I dropped down a level to Noble,and I’ve quit couple of time, but was actually beaten by the AI twice. Winning at Great level may be, beyond on my ability. The AI seems to know when press the attack and more importantly when to retreat. This ain’t CIV V or VI AI, that’s for sure.

It also knows how to retreat as a ruse, and when you rush after its units apparently limping away you get smashed by reserves waiting for the opportunity. I can’t count how many times I have fallen for this.

Positive review, by the mainstream. I hope this game sets the bar for future civ type gamed.

Old World review | PC Gamer

Old World feels like a meaningful evolution. And an extremely welcome one.

Old World is a brilliant 4X, and one that I’d actually recommend over Civilization at the moment.