One of the signs of the apocolypse

And then, one day, he’ll be discovered by Monty onto a real MMO project!

Seems like there’s a considerable population who believe that a reality show is a fantastic opportunity to make it for those who don’t have any identifiable talent and aren’t quite pretty enough to make up for that.

I figure a good portion of the contestants on these shows suddenly discover their passions on the spot, and that producers are happy to round out their cast with someone more appealing than another who might be more appropriate.

And that’s how you get people on these shows whose favorite games include Mortal Kombat or Halo.

This is why no one takes QA seriously.

While I can’t imagine the show itself being good, I’d like to see a “Where are they now” about a year after it ends.

“Sorry, you’re out of continues.”

“Sorry, all you get is a PSPgo”

The reason nobody takes QA seriously in games is because QA departments are, as a general rule, staffed by body temperature rather than QA skills.

Sadly, that’s true as well.

GAME OVER

To continue your life, GTFO in 9 … 8 …

Know any in Seattle? I could use a company lacking a rigorous process.

Not in Seattle no. Turbine QA is 25% of the staff, and truly kicks ass.

Okay, that’s awesome.

You’re complaining that a Sony produced show airing on the Playstation Network doesn’t select contestants whose favorite game is Halo.

Are you similarly outraged that Nintendo Power hasn’t given a fair shake to Demon’s Souls?

I was under the impression that being a tester was a terrible job?

Yeah, but it’s a job, right? They may only be looking to fill one position, but at least they’re hiring!

I could almost see this as a creative step by HR to quiet disgruntled emloyees. “Look, there’s a freaking game show and the winners are playing get your job. Now be happy and get back to work, slaves!” ;)

WILL POWERS

He has such an awesome name, why does he bother with the handle?

I thought I’d let this thread mature a bit more before posting another sentiment, but I can’t believe a guy who’s a 36-year old firefighter/paramedic, wants to give that up to be a game tester… especially in this economy.

Though the fact he says he’s calling in sick all the time sounds like he doesn’t take his job seriously. Over here if you’re calling in sick as paramedic, often times you’re screwing over the rest of the staff.

It depends. I loved being in QA and I took it seriously, but a lot of game companies do not take it seriously and consequently don’t hire people who would be good at QA and don’t treat their QA people well. If you are with a company that treats QA like a bunch of stupid monkeys who are screwing up the project for everyone else with their incoherent bug reports, then yeah, it’s a terrible job. I have been lucky to work in QA departments that were run well, hired people based on their ability to do the job instead of their willingness to be shat on for the pleasure of being able to maybe one day move up in the game industry, and were taken at least somewhat seriously.

Even in the best of circumstances there’s a significant amount of mindnumbing work, but there’s also a lot of room for creatively seeking out exploits and other bugs. It’s one of those jobs that either clicks with you or it doesn’t.

Which is a better prize for a reality television show:

1. getting hired for a QA tester job or
  2. becoming Paris Hilton’s new BFF ?

Succinctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVtak6SsH3Y

So this is a good tester…NOT