OnePlus One: anyone getting one?

I have to say the N5 is still the perfect size though.

Invite system for this phone is pretty annoying. I’m not keen on begging to buy something.

Marketing gone amok: Be hot to get a phone. Even though they ended up yanking the promotion after the backlash, it’s still gross that it got approved in the first place.

Imagine if Samsung, Apple, Microsoft, or even (gasp!) Blackberry had done something like this.

PM sent from me too. The phone does seem too big, but the camera is reportedly better the N5, and it’s got more RAM. I bet that will make a difference down the road. Which seems important in my mind right now, given just how unbelievably slow my Galaxy Nexus gets these days.

I put CM11 and gave my old galaxy nexus to my dad and it runs plenty quick

Got an Orzly tempered glass screen protector for my OPO and it’s fabulous. I’m a tempered glass screen convert now.

Maybe I need to stop being afraid, and just do the Windows equivalent of a re-install. Do some kind of factory restore or something, and wipe everything.

Or maybe I should just start uninstalling certain memory hogging apps like Facebook.

Root it and install CM11. It’s easy to do with a GUI tool like Wugfresh’s Nexus Toolkit

The CM11 page doesn’t mention any need to Root it. But I’m guessing their instructions won’t work until I root it first?

Rooting will wipe out the phone :)

Toolkit here: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Unless you have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus (or some other variant–you should confirm) the GSM GNexus is codenamed “maguro” and the CM11 ROMs are here: https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=maguro

Use the latest “stable” until you are more adventurous. The alternate, manual way to the GUI-based tookit: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_maguro

Getting a custom recovery image on like TWRP can be very liberating. Rooting the GNexus will let you use StickMount+ to use USB OTG (on the go) expansion too.

Sorry, you need to unlock the bootloader as a pre-requisite for rooting. Unlocking the bootloader is what wipes everything. Root just grants you admin privileges to the phone that lets you run cool stuff like Titanium Backup and AdBlock Plus.

Is there a way to back up my messaging history on the Galaxy Nexus? (It’s straight from Google, so it’s the GSM version). That’s the only thing I can think of that’s not on the cloud (unlike email, photos, games, etc). The SMS messages are something I use to keep track of the last three months of vital business stats at work.

I guess if I want to get a new phone or root this one, I have to get out of this habit and find another way of storing and sending the stats. Something cloud based so that I can retrieve it again from my computer or some other device other than just locally from my phone.

And someone on the OnePlus forums just sent me an invite specifically for the 64GB version, which is more expensive, but I couldn’t resist. So I guess I’ll have my new OnePlus One soon. Now I just need a way to figure out how to transfer my instant message history to the new phone and I’ll be all set.

There’s an Android app I’ve used called “SMS Backup and Restore” that did the job pretty well. I think some MMS messages didn’t go through but pretty much everything else did.

Cool. I’ll try that out. Thanks.

It is interesting how the invite system had me reaching for the impulse purchase. That’s probably what the system was designed for. Invites that are only valid for 24 hours? A huge sense of scarcity and urgency? Pretty genius.

Congrats.

I read a few more reviews of this phone at work today. I think what I’m looking forward to the most is the OS being so customizable. That was my biggest disappointment with my Galaxy Nexus from Google. I thought getting a bare-bones android system meant that I’d be able to customize to my heart’s content, but it turns out I had to install third party apps like Nova Launcher and HD Widgets and other apps to get the kind of custom changes I wanted.

The Cryogen Mod that the 1+ 1 comes with sounds like it has the kind of flexibility and customization that I was picturing when I originally bought the Galaxy Nexus back in 2011.

Your problem was that you never rooted and installed custom ROMs on your GNexus. The Nexus phones are the absolute easiest to customize and the best-supported with CyanogenMod. Its potential was never tapped.

I still use Nova Launcher on top of CM11S instead of the default Trebuchet launcher.

There’s little need to install custom ROMs these days, but you do need to root to install Xposed mods. Unlocking the bootloader should be the first thing you do, as it wipes the storage.