Only Murders in the Building -- Steve Martin is back, on Hulu!

100% co-signed. I know that Steve Martin and Marty Short can be pretty great together. But I honestly thought Selena Gomez was not only holding her own, I kinda thought she was the real comic star here. As you mention, her timing and deadpan is REALLY great, and kudos to both Martin and Short for seeming to have caught onto that right away. They’re happy to play the straight men and feed her laughs, and I thought that she excelled here.

I’ve seen enough Wizards of Waverly Place that I’ve always been impressed by her comedic timing. It also helps that they wrote her character really well as the millennial hanging out with two octogenarians.

Without knowing anything about her, I was pleasantly surprised by her timing.

Yeah, Selena was a pleasant surprise here. But I just loved Steve Martin’s character and the riffs they did off it, especially including his stunt double. No disrepect to Martin Short or Selena both of whom were excellent but for me Steve Martin was the show stealer. Of course I have always been a big Steve Martin fan from way back when I first saw him do his stand up live back in college. Not many comedians have the ability to pull off such off the wall humor without having to resort to blatant vulgarity for shock value. Steve is a very unique talent.

Quite the pleasant surprise to read in this thread that Selena did well on the show. When all 3 appeared together on Colbert’s Late Show, Martin and Short were hilarious and Gomez was weird and stiff and full of blank facial expressions that told me nothing. And the timing on her jokes was really off too in that four-way interview. Good to know that’s not the case on the show itself.

That about sums up her performance on the show in my opinion. I almost feel like everyone else was watching a different show then me because I thought Selena was awful.

To be fair that kind of sums up her character but that’s what works. She is weird and emotionally stunted. Its a good counter to the zaniness of Short’s character and the comic timing of Steve.

2 episodes in and it hasn’t done much for me yet, Selena really seems like the weakest link here, but I’ll keep going.

We just started watching this and it’s fucking magical. I love it so much. This might actually get my wife to watch Three Amigos.

Season 2: June 28th, 2022

OMG YAY! June is gonna be so busy with Orville, The Boys and now this.

Orville and this both on Hulu? I guess I know what streaming service I’m getting for July and August.

But if The Boys is dropping in June too, I guess maybe I’ll get Prime Video is September.

Yeah the Orville and Boys are dropping in early June, like a DAY from each other.

Season 2, June 28!

YUSSSS.

I watched the first episode of the show. Oh my god, I’m in love already.

Oh dude it’s so fucking good. Cannot WAIT for season two.

We also get to see Steve Martin and Martin Short at the Hollywood Bowl shortly after season two premieres, so double awesome.

You are in for a treat. The show is so much better than I expected it to be. Everyone brings something great to the show. We even get some classic Steve Martin physical comedy. I hope there are many more seasons to come.

Can’t wait for S2.

I need to revisit this as I never got around to watching episode 3.