Only Sony can have a leap year bug during a non-leap year

Yep. Add me to the chorus of “Ahhh!!! My PS3!!!” Oh well. I’ll try it again tomorrow.

Some options:

Wait.

Play games on some other platform.

Bitch on the internet.

Perform a voodoo ritual.

Odds are that it’ll either be fixed in the morning, or later in the next afternoon. What a clusterfuck if Sony can’t get the systems up and running before Tuesday.

I’ve seen a few reports that 80GB units aren’t affected. Anyone with an 80 having this problem?

I have a friend with a 60gb fatboy that he bought as a refurb at Gamestop, and it is unaffected. Dunno.

I played Saints Row 2 earlier with no problems. I just couldn’t log in to the PSN.

Edit: I have a 60gb piece of love.

80gb affected here. 120gb PS3 slim is not, though.

This thread reads like the future for all Ubisoft PC games.

I can confirm that my PS3 was able to play Hairspray last night with no issues whatsoever. That was, however, before midnight GMT.

Since its not connected to the internet I guess I’ll just not turn it on until movie night next week and hope it still works after that. Shouldn’t interupt my gaming schedule at all.

Console gaming:
Connect it to a tv
Put in the disc
Play!

Oh wait…

I’ve owned six or seven Sony systems and all of them have failed except the PSP, but I guess that was a fluke.

Not sure why people are surprised here.

Really? You’re not sure why people are surprised that potentially millions of Sony systems failed simultaneously across the globe due to a date rollover code error in the OS of the system? You predicted this in your blog months ago?

This is not some heat-related system failure or what have you, this is a global bricking on an unprecedented scale. I’m not the biggest Sony proponent in the world, but even I wouldn’t have expected anything like this to happen.

I hope Ubisoft is paying attention, because the ApocalyPS3 definitely has parallels to what they’re planning for their DRM.

Once again, it has nothing to do with being connected to the internet. If your date/time was correctly set, your system is already borked.

No, that kind of cynicism happens after going through two PSones and three or four PS2s.

None of my failures fell into that category.

How many of them fell into the category of an OS code error that affected millions simultaneously?

Sorry, not buying the internet cynic routine on this one.

I also had a pair of Sony earbuds that exploded or something within a minute of use, so again, my cynicism expected this sort of disaster.

Ironically, my launch Xbox 360 is still running perfectly and never RRoD’d.

Matt, not being surprised by something is not the same as expecting it.

Only Sony can have a leap year bug during a non-leap year.

Maybe it’s a leap year IN JAPAN!

I meant that I couldn’t easily download any update that they were planning to fix this bug. Sad to hear that not turning it on isn’t a ‘fix’ but, as long as it hasn’t also somehow affected the blu-ray playback, I should be fine.

No problems here either. I watched Gattaca and played a spot of FIFA last night, but before midnight (GMT). Hopefully they’ll have sorted it out by the time I get home in a few hours and I’ll have avoided le shaft.

It’s also affecting debug units.

Good Lord, what an epic screw-up.

My guess: a y2k bug.

It’s the monolith.