Orcs Must Die

Thanks for the heads up, the demo download is in-progress.

Yea, it’s downloading now, 900ish megs.

Any idea if the final release will allow players to remap the keyboard controls? Not a huge issue since I noticed I can still play with a wired 360 controller (which would still be nice to remap) if I want, but I’d prefer mouse/kb if possible.

Demo refuses to initialize engine for me :(

I guess I’m saving $15

Or you could try to help out the dev that’s posting here with a log file and/or system specs so he can get the issue resolved for other customers…

Very cool trailer; will be checking this out. I just hope it doesn’t throw a massive bag of HP boss like Sanctum does. From this video(s) it doesn’t look like it, at least.

Ooooo, demo. I was interested in this but wasn’t sold. Demotime!

Good point, Pogo.

Windows 7 64 bit
Alienware M11x
U7300 CPU
GeForce GT 335M DX 11

Ran through the demo twice, seems like it will be pretty fun. The demo gives you three maps to try, with 7 or 8 different weapons and traps to play around with. The primary weapon is a chain-gun-like crossbow. You’ll pretty much keep the trigger pulled for the duration of the fight, mowing down Orcs, earning multipliers, and if you know where to look, exploiting certain types of destructible set pieces and terrain to smash up the Orcs for you.

The traps in the demo include stuff like tar (slows orc movement), floor spikes (can be upgrade to feature a small snare), Wall Traps (shoots spikes at the enemy) and exploding barrels. It cost some type of in-game currency to purchase the traps when you lay them down, and you’ll earn more as you kill more monsters. There are also alternate weapons available, though I found no use for them at all.

Each of these traps can be also upgraded for a cost, using Skulls earned by performing well on the maps. An example would be: You do poorly, but complete the map you might earn one skull, if you manage o kill all the monsters without any of them escaping you’ll earn 5. You can replay the levels to earn more of these skulls. There may be other factors involved, but this is what I noticed. At the time of this writing I’m not seeing ways to upgrade the hero himself, just his weapons and traps. So, except for potions picked up off the floor during battle, I’m unsure if there is a way to permanently boost hitpoints, or add to his damage across the board. There are no obvious stats or hp/energy stats available that I’ve seen.

For the most parts traps are optional in this demo. At the difficulty levels available (easy and medium, there’s a harder mode blocked in the demo from what I can tell – and it mentions something about beating everything on medium before it will unlock) you can simply clear the 3 available maps without doing anything other than using the default chaingun-crossbow (did this on my second play-through). Still though, it is fun to play around with the traps, and satisfying to see the wall-traps perforate the Orcs in a cloud of deadly darts.

There are two monster types you’ll be pitted against in the demo, Orc Warriors and Crossbow Orcs. Seems like see 10-20 Warriors for every Crossbow Orc, in the levels that feature them. The warriors are axe wielders, and crossbowmen, self explanatory. They’re designed to be comedic, with a Warcraft II style of dialog delivery, and lines ripped straight form the headlines, such as “Don’t taze me bro” (with taze being replaced with some specific method of killing in the game), and “Can’t we all just get along”, and “Oh No you didn’t!”. My only complaint about the dialog, aside from the fact that knowing the context of it puts the player in the role of oppressor rather than hero (though all delivered in comedic style), is that too many pieces of verbal dialog will trigger at once, and many orcs will be spamming you with witty one-liners at the same time, making it difficult to understand what it is half of them are saying.

There are leader boards, one for total kills, the other for score. You can compare yourself to your friends, or the rest of the Steam community. Scores have multipliers based on concurrent kills, and maybe some sort of bonuses for head-shots, but the notifications went by so quick I didn’t see what, if anything, I got for them.

As far as controls go, I find the game plays much better on a gamepad than mouse and keyboard, but that could be my bias against straight up WASD, as I’m forced to be a WXSD guy and I’m unable to remap the keys to the way I need them. Also, in the three maps provided there won’t be much vertical movement of the crosshair, since everything just piles out right in front of you at eye level, although there is a bridge you can stand on in the third map, if you so choose, shooting Orcs from above. But this is actually much, much more difficult than simply dropping right down in the midst of them, and plowing through them from head-on.

I can’t say there will be much replayability, based on the three maps I’ve seen, except in special cases where you’re aiming for a higher score, more skull-currency for upgrades, and perhaps achievements (which I don’t think I’ve seen yet).

For me, this alone is the highest praise I can give a demo (short of a purchase). :)

Looking into it a bit further, it looks like the demo is trying to open a 1280x800 window which won’t work on my laptop (768 max resolution).

If you force windowed mode then it should open fine.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to say: congrats on gold/shipping. :)

The lowest res availale is 1024x768, but if you can’t even get it started try editing this file manually:

(win 7)
C:\Users..(your windows login)…\Documents\Orcs Must Die\VideoSettings.xml

What goes in this file? I don’t have one.

Just edit the .exe and put “-w” at the end. It should force it to become windowed and it should open even if it is above your resolution.

Mine contains this:

<Settings>
<XResolution>1280</XResolution> 

<YResolution>1024</YResolution> 

<LowDetail>0</LowDetail> 

<VSync>0</VSync> 

<MSAA>0</MSAA> 

</Settings>

Kerzain that .xml file is most likely generated when you actually play the game (as it saves your settings from the game option screen itself), so Warpstorm wouldn’t have it.

Although I’m sure he could create one given everything you told him :)

I kknnnooooowwwwwwwwwwww.