Ori and the Blind Forest

As expected, it looks amazing.

But if it’s Xbone and Windows 10 store only… I’ll miss it. :(

This has been sitting in my backlog forever. I don’t even know how this ended up on my Xbox, whether it was a sale purchase or a GWG game. But I do know I got the definitive edition for free since I had the base game.

Well, I decided to dust this off and try it out a couple days ago, and wow, probably my favorite 2D sidescrolling platformer in years and years. This game is just gorgeous, and I love the difficulty spikes and move sets.

If this wasn’t a 2015 game it would be a contender for my top five goty games at the end of 2018.

Given some of the horrible platformers on the Xbox I didn’t expect much, but this game is such a treat for me I think the sequel just rocketed to the top of my day one purchase list.

I just finished this game. Fantastic experience through and through. I genuinely have no idea what the actual story is, but a lot of that probably has to do with the delivery method and the sporadic bursts of play I’d put into it.

Can’t wait for the sequel. My favorite platformer in years, and my favorite metroidvania of all time.

That was my interpretation of the ending, from upthread. I can’t be right though, since we’re getting a sequel, and Ori is still alive, apparently.

Also, it’s amazing to me that it took me 10 more hours to finish the game than @Paul_cze. Where did you fall in that range kerzain?

I try not to blitz these types of games. I like to meander and explore. I also don’t use fast travel because I enjoy traversing the map manually.

Nice, you took almost as long as me.

I never noticed that “Difficulty: Normal” thing before. Does that mean you unlock a harder difficulty when you finish the game maybe? I’ve forgotten details like that. Maybe I should go back to this game sometime and try it on a harder difficulty.

Edit: I just looked up my achievement, looks like I already got the one for finishing the game on Hard, so it must have been a choice at the beginning that I made.

But you only need one more green and one more blue thingy! You can’t stop now!

I’m not enough of a completionist to go back and get them… I’d have to re-install at this point. I have already uninstalled and started playing other stuff. I have the old 500gb model with an external hard drive, so I usually try to clear space as I go along.

Oh but that would eat at me. There’s probably an achievement for getting all the thingies too.

Anyway, you guys (and the impending sequel) reminded me that I own this game but haven’t played it.

The sequel looks good!

Beautiful. They’re really doubling down on the giant-enemy-setpiece scenes… The ones that were visually impressive but also sometimes frustrating exercises in repeated trial-and-error platforming.

I loved them in the original game. Yeah, they were frustrating, but also oh so satisfying when you did finish them.

So, I’ve been playing this on gamepass. Just got bash and that may be it for me. The sequence that follows in the ginkgo tree to get the keystones isn’t happening.

But to me, this is why gamepass is great. The game is gorgeous and has beautiful music. I got to enjoy it for a time and not feel bad that time was relatively short.

Just curious, are you talking about this area?

This sequence stumped me until i caved and reduced the difficulty level where it doesn’t start you from the bottom when you fall. I then switched it back.

I did get stuck again later so never finished it :(

Yep, starting right about the two minute mark. The sot that was really giving me trouble is right around 2:11. No matter the bash angle I tried, I kept coming out of the portal opening on the right with no speed. Maybe I just need to try it again. But then, it probably gets worse from here, yeah?

@marxeil afaik, you restart where you bound at. Difficulty doesn’t change that. I’m on easy.

If i remember correctly, on normal you start at the beginning of the sequence. On easy you start on ‘sub sequences’.

I would say it probably doesn’t get much worse. I think you’re already past the part of the game that I found the hardest. It’s tough, but it’s consistent, I thought. Definitely you need to get used to how momentum varies a lot, and your life and death is hugely dependent on how much you maintain momentum in a lot of sequences. This one is like that. In order to not be too slow, you need to keep momentum up.

I think you should do it again, and if you can get used to doing it and maintaining that momentum, it should help you with the rest of the game.

What’s weird is that I think a lot of people who love Ori would say that that sequence is one of its defining moments.

The game had incredible art and music and all the right gameplay fundamentals, but I actually think it let itself down in the level design department. Hollow Knight doesn’t have some of the setpieces Ori has, but it’s ultimately a much better design, in my opinion.

Both games appealed to me, but both looked too difficult, so I didn’t buy them. Both are on gamepass, so I can happily try them.

@Rock8man I probably will. From the video that looks like the worst spot. I do wish you had a bit more time to aim bash on easy.