Origin: EA trying to beat steam

This, plus add in their abominable track record with anything web related, and their ‘customer service’ which can take weeks to generate a canned response, and I wouldn’t touch this with anyone’s money, no matter what properties they put up on it.

No, that’s the support section of their site.

I agree that it matters less with an MMO; I was referring more to the idea of an EA-run digital store in the general sense.

Plus one should factor in the fact it is pretty good as far as MMOs go. I’m utterly burnt out on them after five years of WoW (and dabbling in AoC, Tabula Rasa, EQ2, Rift, among others) yet SWTOR brings enough story-wise to keep me busy for months even if I don’t do raid content at all.

Fortunately, I’m fairly sure we won’t have to have this Origin crap running to launch SWTOR.

What are the chances that this rebranding means they’ll let us redownload games purchased from them without extra fees?

Yeah. That’s what I thought.

I’d be equally concerned that they’ve been on the path to bankruptcy for years now and show no signs of changing course. In a couple years, or whenever their cash runs out, there’ll be some big changes, one way or another.

The chances are 100%.

Welp, SWTOR just went dead to me…

I remember when Digital River sucked back in the 90s!

This. One time downloads? Making me pay more for potential bandwidth in the future? Fork out for the cardboard then, jerks.

Not gaming, but still: Batteries Included.

When I read the EA homepage for Origin I almost get the impression that the program is aware and watching me, possibly even stalking me. Origin, WILL FIND YOU! Eep!

Oh hey, it’s just a renamed Adobe Air-based EA Download Manager with my existing EA games. I don’t mind it and it has let me redownload games without charging me past a year but Steam is in no danger.

EA is shit. I don’t buy or play anything from EA (or Blizzard for that matter since they took on the Kotic leadership and decided to head down the path that screw customers in favor of extra buck). If I was really desperate for an EA game I would’ve pirated it. There, I said it. Except I’m so sick of them, the mere sight of their logo on a game brings bile to my mouth, so that’s not happening. Unless, the unimaginable happens and, they revive Wing Commander with a game that doesn’t suck (don’t even care which genre sphere it’s in) and is actually really great and it doesn’t include draconian DRM (yeah, fat chance).
So I think I’m pretty safe and EA-free for decades to come. Let them cry about piracy some more, make more studio buying deals that make no sense, pay dividends to the guy who broker the deal and then appoint him as CEO (or whatever it was, GG Richie-chello). See how far you can keep above the red line before chapter 11 with these kind of business practices. And screw them twice sideways with a barbed one for necromancing the Origin name. Let it rest in peace!!!

Never forget. Origin 1982-2004.

Ok, now tell us how you really feel.

Very great, actually. I had an excellent time the last two weeks. A bit tired from all the recent events in my life. I’ve been running around quite a lot. It was most stimulating.
Sitting on the PC now, listening to some old heavy metal on youtube.

Still, the world around looks sadder by the day. Local/Global politics, games industry, et cetera and it is somewhat disparaging my opinion of the human race seeing how little anyone acts to collaborate to counter and/or correct any of it. And rather than thinking of future development and repercussions of current trends everyone are busy with “well, it serves my agenda, so rest of world can burn”.

Have I been using a different EA downloader? Once I register games with them I can download as many times as I want.

Edge says EA has pulled Crysis 2 from Steam. Download sales are now exclusively through Origin.

“We didn’t want any more sales anyway”

Has anyone buy something from this Origin service? how is the feedback, quality of it?

I remember pre-ordering a game in a old EA website, and the only way to check if the sale was right was to thrown rocks at my credit card company and judge based on the sound. I think the first indication of that (that we owned the game) was the cd-key emailed to me the day before unlocking. Everyone else got the CD-Key first, and even preloaded the files.