Oppenheimer
The Zone of Interest

Visual Effects
The Creator
Godzilla Minus One
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One
Napoleon

Ruffalo got the Best Supporting Actor nod for Poor Things. It was weird that SAG veered to Dafoe, who was fine, but Ruffalo stole the damn movie.

I can see why there was a push to get Barbie to original screenplay. Adapted is freaking stacked. But they were never going to get something based on such a massively known IP into original.

Original Song just needs to go away. It would save a good 20 minutes on the telecast, to boot.

Wow. Taste of Things is not nominated for International. Insane. I’ve heard it’s fantastic, and France chose it over Anatomy of a Fall for its International entry. The irony being Anatomy of a Fall is getting a Best Picture nod guaranteed at this point.

Best Actor got some surprises, but Giamatti has the edge.

Wow. Margot Robbie denied in Best Actress. Couple surprises there.

The Academy loves Anatomy of a Fall. France, you messed up. I could see it winning Original Screenplay, but it would have been a guaranteed Oscar if it had been eligible for International.

It’s safe to call this race already.

Picture: Oppenheimer
Director: Nolan
Actor: Giamatti
Actress: Gladstone?
Supporting Actor: Downey
Supporting Actress: Randolph
Original Screenplay: Anatomy of a Fall
Adapted: Oppenheimer

Actress is tough. Killers of the Flower Moon feels like the classic example of tons of nominations but zero major wins. Stone already has won, though.

RDJ for Supporting Actor is one of those cases where it’s a combination award for the movie as well as career achievement.

Actor feels like Giamatti has the momentum with the SAG win.

Barbie got snubbed for the big awards. Lame.

Oh nevermind. I missed it in Best Picture.

I’m rooting for Gladstone but I have a feeling it’s going to be Stone.

The Golden Globes had to invent a new category just to get Barbie a win and the cast on stage. (Cinematic and Box Office Achievement, which is hilarious: YOU MADE THE MOST MONEY!)

I suspect Barbie’s only win will be Best Song.

Like I said, Gerwig/Baumbach might have had a chance if the lobbying to get it moved to Original had worked. But that was never going to work.

I haven’t paid attention in years, but it’s so weird to see a laundry list of Best Picture noms. I preferred the shorter list.

So you will be Glad it’s not Stone?

Surprised Maestro got so many nods, it was completely absent from a lot of other awards.

As for Giamatti’s nod. Super happy. He is due, he and DaVine Joy Randolph stood out in that film. I really loved Holdovers, but Payne is probably my favorite director, and this was very much an Alexander Payne film.

Giamatti is due, he was somehow not nominated for Sideways, but this was a great performance that he should be recognized for. I think that his is a weaker year. There are some big names in there, like Bradley Cooper and Jeffrey Wright, but those films were not as “acting” focused as Holdovers. Cillian Murphy is probably the closest competition. I haven’t seen Rustin, but I am sure Colman Domingo does a great job, it is just a lesser known/seen film.

I continue to absolutely LOVE the extended best picture nominations, because we get to see more foreign language films and movies like Barbie get recognition.

Also, someone on Wikipedia is having some fun.

Also, super happy for Danielle Brooks. She is such an awesome actress, and it is great to see her get recognized by the Academy, even if she is a long shot to win in a pretty stacked year for supporting actress.

I still have no idea why they announce these at 5:30 AM in Los Angeles.

Very happy to see Poor Things across so many categories. It’s my favorite (most interesting) movie in quite a few years.

Morning news shows. And the news is out there for radio drive time on the east coast.

So Gerwig and Robbie getting snubbed is basically “SEE??” for the entire plot of the movie.

I’m sorry America Ferrara, but that’s the worst nomination. She wasn’t terrible, but that wasn’t an Oscar-worthy performance. Especially considering Robbie carried the entire movie and didn’t get a nom. Meanwhile, there’s no shortage of performances that were much more deserving in that category.

She got nominated for giving an in-movie monologue explaining why both the director and the star of a landmark film with a feminist bent to it had its male co-star nominated for an Oscar.