Out of the Park Baseball 22: Take Me Out to the (Digital) Ballgame once more!

Here’s a couple of PT 100s that people pulled or saw yesterday. Consensus was that OOTP will be starting out with weaker cards so they can release better and better as time goes on, so if you do happen to pull a 100 it’s probably better to sell it at an inflated price now than hold on to it. YMMV of course.

You should also prepare yourself for Small Ball having gone the way of the dodo ;)

That might be an interesting challenge in general - take over a team and go totally for contact hitters. I’m tempted to do a GM-only game with the Rockies this time round, I guess I’d be wasting the HR potential in Denver if I made them a small ball team, though the wide expanses of Coors Field might play well.

Why doesn’t OOTP use player likenesses for PT? I assume it’s a licensing issue, but do those issues even prevent using a public-domain photo of Babe Ruth from 100 years ago? Plus OOTP does have some sort of license from the MLBPA, and OOTP uses FaceGen in its “regular” mode. I don’t want to go too far down the legal rabbit-hole; I’m just curious if anyone has a quick explanation.

@robc04 got it!

Thanks again!!!

So I dove in since I have a bit more time this summer and loved Perfect Team a couple of years ago. So I got an extra Gold pack and two Platinum! Yay, me.

Anyway, what are the simulated games doing right now? It keeps saying ‘simulating’ but never actually has any results.

I imagine the server is getting crushed right now with all the new submissions.

Cool. I thought it might be something like that. I had to redo my entire team when the simulations started. All my colors/unis and stuff reverted back as did all the changes to my lineup.

Updated parks look nice. If I grab this years version I need to be super careful where it’s saving files. I kept on running my system drive out of space for a year and couldn’t figure it out. Turns out this game was dropping GIGANTIC files to that drive. Sigh

Yeah, that’s been a weird thing for years. The game files can get absolutely crazy big.

First Draft Tourney. Despite only one starter giving up any runs, my number 2 pick and Diamond level closer just gave it the hell away and I lost two games by 3 runs. Booo!

I pulled Stephen Strasburg for my main PT, and he won his first start, allowing 4 runs and striking out 10.

And now I just entered my first Perfect Draft tournament. Really fun! I chose a good SS in round 3, and then of course one choice in round 4 was my hometown shortstop, Xander Bogaerts. I had to have him, so he’s my DH, lol. It’s a best-of-7 tournament, and with a diamond-level SP, I went with a 4-man rotation. I wasn’t sure if 7-day lineups make sense in this mode – I’ll see what the off-day schedules look like. Or I could just micromanage each game, lol. I know I won’t be doing that long term, heh.

I still haven’t done my traditional OOTP thing, which is to fire up the Red Sox’ home opener. Off to do that now. Then I may make a historical league or a fictional league or both.

@robc04 You might consider setting up a historical Exhibition game or series! I just did one and it was a hoot.

I played a fictional-historical exhibition game between the 1928 Yankees and the 1978 Red Sox, at Fenway Park (the 2007 version, in glorious 3D). Babe Ruth hit a 3-run home run off Dennis Eckersley in the top of the 4th. (The game says it was a record-setting distance for Fenway.) By the 8th inning it was 4-1 Yankees. But Rick Burleson and George Scott (pinch-hitting for Eck) came up with clutch RBIs to close the gap to 4-3.

After an uneventful top of the ninth, Yaz walked. (I’d forgotten he was already 39 years old by this time.) Jim Rice then promptly grounded into his second DP of the game – THAT sure felt realistic! Fred Lynn singled, bringing up Carlton Fisk. I was rooting for a left-field-line homerun! He singled instead. But Dwight Evans popped up to short to end the game, kinda like Yaz’s popout in the real 1978 1-game playoff, which the Yankees won by the same margin.

So, in my universe, Babe Ruth was Bucky Dent. :)

We think alike :-) I just played a historical series where I played as the 1978 Yankees against the 2020 Yankees. I installed the 78 Yanks historical stadium. I selected a 2020 team to also play in a new stadium. They look pretty nice! The ball flight and camera work is a little janky though.

Guidry started off and pitched a great game one giving up 1 run in 8 innings with 9 Ks. I jumped ahead 3-0 after two and coasted to a 4-1 win with Nettles hitting a HR.

Game 2 was similar with Tidrow giving up one run in 8 innings to get a 5-1 win. Nettles hit a 2nd HR in the series.

Game 3 was more of a nail biter. Figueroa giving up 2 hits and 1 run through 6. I was up 2-1 going into the 7th. He ran into trouble loading the bases with a hit and two walks, getting 2 outs. I decided to bring in Gossage early being the playoffs and was rewarded with another walk to tie the score at 2. Goose struck out the next batter. I wonder if i should have brought in Lyle who has much better control and keeps the ball on the ground. I think the batter was a righty though. The game stayed tied into the 11th inning where Dent singled in Chambliss for the win.

Game 4 was a doozy where I was down 6-1 after 6. Beattie had a horrible first inning giving up 5, but I stuck with him. The 78 Yankees were on a mission in the bottom of the 7th. A single by White to lead off, pinch hitting for the pitcher. Randolph and Piniella retiring to make two outs. Nettles and Reggie singled to load the bases. Munson walked to bring in a run and Chambliss hit a grand slam to tie the game. Just like that I went from not wanting to waste my bullpen to thinking I could win. I brought in Lyle for a scoreless 8th. In the bottom of the 8th, Rivers reached on an error to Judge, bunted to 2nd by Lyle, advanced to 3rd on a wild pitch, and tagged up to score on a flyball by Randolph. The 9th was tense with the 2020 Yankees loading the bases with 2 out. Kenny Clay came in from the pen and stuck out the batter to end the game and the series.

Thanks again for the key @Telefrog !!!

Well, holy hell! I ended up winning a tourney. Had to win a play-in game to get out of the first round, then ran off 8 straight wins. Now I’m 2000 base-bucks richer!

Seems like an easy way to get base-bucks. Takes about 10 minutes to draft and setup your team. Oh, and thanks @Spock . Your idea of only going with 4 starters seems to have paid off.

@lostcawz Well, that makes two of us – I won my first Perfect Draft tourney too! With 16 teams, in a best-of-7 format. I actually ended up switching to a 4-man rotation because my starters were getting tired. In 4 rounds of best-of-7, my guys needed rest. I think they play every day, no breaks, yes? Anyway, it worked out well. So yeah, 2000 bucks for about 15 minutes of effort!

@robc04 Wow, great minds think alike! Sounds like you had a lot of fun with your series. It’s almost embarrassing how much fun I had just seeing my 1978 Red Sox play again. Some teams are just burned into my memory, and that’s one – although I had forgotten some of the guys in the bullpen.

The 3D parks are a big step forward for the franchise. I wish the animations were more consistent. The fast-action animations are quite convincing, but the walking animations not so much. This strikes me as something they will inevitably improve, and they’ve already got a solid foundation. I found I enjoyed the view from behind home plate the most. I’d start with the close-CF cam, switch to home plate view for the pitch, and then let the dynamic view follow the action. It’s like a somewhat amateurish TV broadcast. But it’s still a huge leap forward.

Is it just me or are there very few lefty pitchers? If I see one on the board, I grab him. Even so I end up with maybe 3 or 4 out of 9 or 10. And have gone with only right handed starters 3 of the 5 tourneys I’ve played.

In my first tournament, the majority of my pitchers were lefties! I think I had 8 lefties and 5 righties. In my current tournament, only 1 of 5 starters is a lefty, but 3 of my 8 relievers are lefties. I do try to pick up some of each.

Also, I prioritize defense a lot. I even hesitated to take Stan Musial because of his 47 rating at left field. In the end I had to pick him! But he’s the lowest-rated fielder I have on my current team.

Here is my plan for the league I want to create. Anyone have any suggestions about how I should set it up? I have some questions…

I’m going to start a 1978 historical league, where I take over GM and manager duties for the Yankees, as I was a huge Yankee fan as a kid. My goal is to get through at least the mid 1990s. That will probably mean I don’t manage every game like I usually do. My goal is to make it the best strategy game I can, not have a strict historical replay. I will start off with players on their historical teams, import rookies to their historical teams, but allow trades. I’ll import all minor league players and use real minor league affiliations.

So, I’d like some opinions from people before I start my final league since I usually only dabble in OOTP and never play more than a season or two per version.

1. I can’t decide whether to just start a league in 1978 and import the entire history, or start in the early 1900s and sim up to 1978 using real transactions. Then when I take over in 1978 I’d turn real transactions off.

2. Fielding Ratings and Pitching Stamina: My gut feeling is that using entire career for the calculation would give me the best results instead of 1 or 3 years. I’d like players to be able to play the positions I remember them playing. Thoughts?

3. Expansion Draft: If I turn this off, when the league expands will the players that got drafted historically go to their appropriate teams?

4. Thoughts on Challenge Mode? I’ve never used it.

5. Is the coaching system fun to use?

6. Owner Goals: Fun or just arbitrarily frustrating?

7. Personality, morale, team chemistry: Do they add fun interesting decisions or again, are they just arbitrary and frustrating?

8. Trading difficulty: What setting leads to the most appropriate / reasonable trades?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Here are my takes, but this is such a sandboxy game all should be taken with a grain of, um, sand I guess:

1. I guess your dilemma here is if you want the ‘real’ records in your game or if you’re more interested in what ifs (what if Ted Williams didn’t go to war twice?). I don’t usually play historical, but last time I did I played with early integration, so I had all the Negro League players in MLB, which was cool.

2. This makes sense to me and I think it’s recommended somewhere (a tool tip maybe?)

3. Not sure.

4. Neither have I, but I like the option of being able to go into god mode if I see something screwy happening. Considering this is a different kind of setup for you, it’s probably better to turn it off unless you really like achievements. I’d be really hesitant to use it for a long-running historical or fictional league, honestly. It seems more geared for running present day starts.

5. I haven’t played with the new features yet, but previously it always seemed fine. It would make the game a bit more strategic since you’ll have to match coach traits and tendencies to your players or vice versa to keep morale and development up. That usually leads to some interesting dilemmas.

6. I like them, but this would be another good reason to turn off challenge mode so if you dislike them you can change it or make it so you cannot be fired if a goal you find especially disagreeable gets assigned (challenge mode either doesn’t let you once you’re started or it does, but it turns off challenge mode if you do).

7. I like all these, but I mostly play fictional universes. I’m pretty sure the personality ratings for historical players are randomly generated so this might be immersion breaking for you.

8. Probably ‘hard’ as it seems kind of easy to fleece the AI on lower difficulties. As for ‘favor prospects’ / ‘veterans’ I go ‘neutral,’ but I know some people swear by ‘favor prospects.’ Some also say ‘very hard’ is the best, but that’s a bit too extreme for me.