I hear ya about the general blahness of the Future Legend missions. Heck, my OL team can’t even play FL players so even if (when) I complete missions the cards are only useful as a prerequisite for future unannounced missions. So doing them feels a bit like eating your vegetables because you know it’ll be good for you.
However, I am using some time to figure out what future mission chains I probably want to complete. Reviewing the structure of all the missions, here’s how I think it’s going to shake out:
Tier 1 of missions:
- Live Team Collection reward
- Build-A-Legend 100
- Team Mission 1 reward
as shown below
- Franchise Hero #1 [reward of above mission chain]
- Future Legend
- Unannounced mission reward
- Unannounced team mission #2 reward
→ unknown Franchise Hero #2 reward card
this chain is shown below. One of the ??? has been revealed to be the Future Legend missions.
Given what we know, I think it’s safe to speculate a bit about future mission structure:
Tier 3: (complete speculation)
- Franchise Hero #2 [result of above mission chain]
- Unannounced mission reward
- Unannounced team mission #3 reward
→ unknown Franchise Hero #3 reward card
And further speculation:
Ultimate Franchise Reward
- Franchise Hero #1
- Franchise Hero #2
- Franchise Hero #3
→ Ultimate team reward card
Playing the long game, it seems like a good idea to think ahead to who these ‘ultimate’ players will be and to make sure you’re up to date on the missions for those teams. “Up to date” to me means completing associated missions for the team, including the boring Future Legend missions; maybe even being proactive and looking for team silvers/golds that aren’t currently in missions (because someday they WILL be in a mission, and their prices will only rise).
With help from some discussion on the BFF discord, I have identified five teams I want to pursue, given their theoretical ultimate rewards:
- SD: Tony Gwynn
- SEA: Griffey Jr or Ichiro
- ATL: Hank Aaron (outside shot at Greg Maddux)
- NYM: Tom Seaver
- SF: Willie Mays
Teams that were considered but were eliminated:
- CIN: Johnny Bench (his PT cards have been pretty bad in prior years, is it possible his batting profile doesn’t align well with the game mechanics?)
- PHI: (who’s the reward here??)
- PIT: Roberto Clemente (again, a live player who’s PT cards have not been terribly good)
Teams that might make the cut:
- BAL: Cal Ripken Jr (I might work on this once the “sure thing” teams are done).
Of course that leaves a boatload of teams not even in the mix. And there very well may be some excellent cards there, but we just don’t know. But this is the information I’m going with!
All this takes a ton of PP of course. But I have found that having a goal keeps me more engaged. And I guess the PP will eventually come in (or if not, maybe I’ll just cut back on some of the lower priority teams so I can complete say one or two of the higher rated ones).
So, uh, that’s what I’m doing these days!