Outer Wilds - a solar system trapped in a time loop.

Tromping around the homeworld is longer than necessary and while it’s cool that it teaches you just about everything you need in a hands-on way, I think it’s also a kind of tedious way. It’s sort of too bad you can’t get straight into the flying and exploring (I mean, you can, but you’ll crash). But I don’t think it takes more than 15 minutes to get to the point where the hook can sink in!

I dunno, as I mentioned up thread, opening your eyes to a planet looming directly above (and potentially something else), a small explosion in front of it, something shooting off and then something else flying past was enough to make me go ‘I want to find out what’s going on up there’, right off the bat. Everything else during the intro is tilling the soil and planting the seeds.

Besides, as @Nightgaunt said, it doesn’t have to take you long, depending on how much you want to discover before leaving. I spent ages exploring Timber Hearth before nervously and excitedly setting off into space. I also think it’s important you get a strong sense of ‘home’ at Timber Hearth before you leave, rather than waking up and jetting off straight away.

And why haven’t I seen @BrianRubin in here?

Well, I asked for a key and haven’t heard back, cat died, got a new cat, old cat got sick, and now I’m sick.

So… Been kinda busy.

Oh I’m sorry to hear it Brian. Hope you and old kitty get better soon.

He’s on the mend, thankfully. Went from eating and drinking nothing to being force fed with a baby syringe to eating and drinking on his own as of today. It’s been a ride.

But yeah, I’d love to play this. I just wanna make sure I’m not getting a key before I spring for it.

So I went to fire this up to show my girlfriend the ending after harping on about the whole experience for the best part of two weeks, and before I loaded it there was an update…

Looks like they’ve tried to address the Ash Twin warp tower problem. They even made the warp pads pulse so you know when they’re active.

Couple of pics

Jason Schreier loves it.

It’s a good reminder to me that once I stop getting distracted by the latest Game Pass quest, I should return to this game. I feel kind of bad that I never bought this, never showed my support financially. (It was given to me via Mixpot for watching E3 stuff).

Pets, WTF

They’re worth all our time and energy because we love them?

Ugh this game has been so fantastic, but now that I"m reaching towards the end it’s getting extremely frustrating, especially all the time restricted activities.

I had to look up how to get into the sun station warp tower, I would have never had guessed you had to be there precisely in some 30 second window. Now every time I need to go there it’s a frustratingly boring 5 minute wait until I can get to that 30 second windw.

I have to go there multiple times because so far in my 3 attempts to get from one side to the other has resulted in failure and getting sucked into the sun. Looked up a Youtube video and saw someone just casually go from one side to the other… I saw someone in this thread mention not to touch your thruster once you walk off so maybe that will do it but this whole thing is not fun at all

I spent a ton of time trying to get into the quantum tower on Brittle Hollow. 2 loops later I found it at the other side of the black hole, and frantically fought the annoying controls trying to read everything in the few minutes I had before the supernova killed me. I don’t know if I read everything but the log doesn’t have an asterik. No idea what quantum rule I was supposed to learn from that ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Spent 2 loops trying to figure out what I was missing in the sunless city. Apparently I had just not read one bit of text in the middle about how I need to use a warp tower to get to the sun station (duh, somewhere else already told me that

I made it to the Vessel but I can’t seem to make it there with enough fuel to get out. I think I have everything in there but the 3 sided thing so I guess I’m destined to go back at another point. I"m running out of places to find the answer to that puzzle though since I only have the ash twin, interloper, core of Giant’s Deep, and quantum moon remaining

I assume there’s more to the core of Giant’s Deep than the electrified outside, and I assume that I have to go inside the jellyfish at the Feldspar section where it explicitly says they insulate you from electricity. However, my one attempt failed and I kept getting electrocuted, but it’s been so long since I went to the feldspar I guess I just don’t remember where I have to “enter” the jellyfish and it’s not obvious from just looking at it (it wasn’t when I was at Feldspar either). I"m not looking forward to 1-2 more loops of trying that again.

I may just start looking at guides soon because these frustrations are starting to sully what’s been a really great experience up until now.

Those are definitely familiar frustrations. I started to get a little fed up at the end as well, but the desire to see it through kept me going, and overall it’s very much worth it. They needed to take a little extra time to clean up some of the kludgy bits (like the jellyfish–I don’t think I quite figured out the trick there, either, but just eventually fumbled my way through it). Most of the timing-based sequences with some waiting stayed fun for me most of the time, but man did I hate when I had to start all over because of a stupid mistake.

The game is certainly not perfect, but its virtues sure outweighed its downsides for me!

I’ve been traveling in Europe the past week and I can’t stop thinking about this game. Anxious to get back to it. I keep reading this thread and trying to avoid spoilers. Haven’t had a game occupy so much of my random thoughts in a long long time.

So don’t take this as a criticism, but rather just wanted to provide my perspective around how I figured these things out using in-game clues. It doesn’t help that you were frustrated, I know, but I was able to find clues without needing to poke and prod via annoying trial and error.

There were a few different explainations around how to look at the structures on Ash Twin, how they map to the different planets. In this case, the warp which takes you to the sun looks like the sun. There isn’t a 30-second window either - it’s a repeating window every time the planet and sun station orbit around the sun. So there are many opportunities within a loop to get there.

This tripped me up too, until I remembered the core mechanic of using the A button to match velocity. So I locked onto the pieces of debris, pressed A to match their velocity, and then slowly and deliberately made it across to the other side very safely and easily.

There is definitely an important rule to learn from the Quantum Tower, about the “6th location”. You’ll need to use that rule to find the 6th location of the Quantum Moon later on. But yeah, this is one thing I needed to look up too - the fact that I needed to wait for the tower to crumble and go through the black hole to navigagte through it on the other side.

Once you get to the vessel once, it’ll be really quick and easy to get to it the next time. So don’t worry about the amount of fuel you have for your next run(s)

This is a little finnickey, but yes you just need to slowly steer your ship into the bottom of the jellyfish, and then the jellyfish will automatically send you down into the core. Pretty easy to pull off once you know exactly what to do.

I can’t seem to quote you directly but about Ash Twin:

I think you mis-interpreted me, or I’m misunderstanding something. I said there was only a 30 second window because there’s only so much time the sand is in the perfect elevation in order to get past all the cacti in order to get into the warp room, and if you miss that window then you can’t get past the cacti.

There’s a very short window (30 seconds seems generous, it’s more like 5) to get past the cacti in the intended way rather than the kind of jetpack finesse that the game’s controls aren’t really meant for.

What’s this talk about fuel? Surely you just fly there with the ship?

And this is far easier with the jetpack rather than the ship.

Well that’s also just me being dumb and trying to get there outside my ship. I kept parking my ship outside and going in for some reason. No idea why I didn’t think to just go in with the ship lol. I’ve always just landed on Dark Bramble then went in manually.

Oh, wow. That sounds painful :)

I’ll second that. I think the recent update stops you being able to do it with your ship. Go right to the head of the jellyfish and wait.

Oh wow @KallDrexx, that’s quite a feat in itself! No wonder you were out of fuel :-)

hahahah yeah, looking back I’m now laughing about it The second I got to the Vessel I was out of fuel, so I kept doing bombing runs to explore outside the vessel on O2 alone and trying to make it back into the cockpit before I ran out of oxygen.

In other news the sun station is still pissing me off. 2 more attempts and literally the second I move an inch off the station I’m immediately plunging towards the sun and no amount of thrust or pressing “A” saves me. grrrr. .

Also whoever said they had this game crash on PC, it’s definitely not your computer. I’ve had this game crash 4 times now on XB1.

I clicked on this thread, saw pages of blurry text and thought I was having a stroke :/