Paradox Announces Cities: Skyline - Huge Cities, Offline Play, & More!

I think you can upgrade the road to have grass on the sides instead of parking.

Darker roads mod, and murrican road markings mod!

Oooh nice. I havent really looked into mods yet. I’m currently of the opinion that roundabouts are pretty poor in the game. I’ve expanded on my system, of high raised highways going through a town, with the smaller local roads going underneath, it really seems to help traffic flow. There are definitely bugs with garbage trucks, hearses and ambulances. Where I live these three vehicle types dont make up 50% of traffic, for example :D

In all fairness, people die way more often in the game than in your neighborhood (and in way more places - how often do you see a dead body at your local music shop?).

The main problem of roundabouts in this game is that they won’t work like they do IRL.

Take a normal T junction in the UK. The top of the T has priority. Now slap down a “mini roundabout” there and suddenly the stalk of the T has priority over the Left-to-Right bit when there’s a car on the stalk. You can’t do that ingame.

Also, on an actual fully fledged roundabout, the person actually on the roundabout has right of way. In the game it just makes an “intersection” and often you’ll find the roundabout people stopping to let others on! grr.

My first attempt at a highway interchange is more or less a failure :( I was trying for something compact, but obviously there are some issues to work out…

Note to self: Don’t drive in any of Blips’s cities.

I am still hopelessly addicted. I started a new city. Check out my bus stop queues!

The whole metropolis!

I find long highways without intersections alongside the shorter busier roads is working well.

When I declare land to be ‘green belt’ I’m not fucking around…

Worst. Queue. Ever.

Aren’t you English? I thought you people took queues very seriously. :)

I do love the little mobs that form around bus stops. I first saw one in front of a burning building and thought they were gathering to gawk at the fire!

-Tom

I strongly suspect someone English has already modded PROPER queuing.
I remember a french coder at lionhead endlessly criticizing the code I wrote for people queuing in ‘The Movies’ saying it was unrealistic…

Do you find that those ultra-wide roads are more useful than 2 laners? The way the traffic model works in the game I often found some lanes going unused :(

Yup I’ve found that too. It is a bit infuriating. I’ve also found that the cars aren’t making very good traffic vs distance calculations, sometimes sat in traffic where there is an obvious (but longer) bypass which sits empty.
Not that I would ever criticize the awesomeness of their simulation code. It must be hell coding something this involved (and running this smoothly).

Updating the path that drivers take to avoid congestion sounds easy, but it isn’t. You maybe interested, it’s called dynamic assignment: http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/circulars/ec153.pdf

Would be cool though.

I remember reading a suggestion on the paradox forum about changing it, and one of the devs replied in a sensible manner basically saying although it looks strange as it is now, it’s a very useful way to see your traffic problems.

Also:I you find that only 1 or 2 lanes out of your 6 lane beasts are used, it might be wiser to go with the smaller roads and add more housing if you can :P

(There’s a decent guide here to how to spot problems from empty lanes etc)

Nice update!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/content-update-1-1-0-is-live-on-retail.856707/

Love the look of those European buildings, beautiful. Nice update.

Beautiful indeed. Also, the patch notes say we can build tunnels, and multi-level tunnels for the subway. I may have to fire this one up again.

On the other hand, they removed the “ships sailing down streets” “but” (AKA, ultra-feature).

Updated the game the same day as the Witcher 3 release, who said people in Finland don’t have a sense of humor. :D