Paradox Announces Cities: Skyline - Huge Cities, Offline Play, & More!

I like it with exactly this level of depth. It has enough depth not to bore me silly watching things unfold. Sometimes I want a more challenging experience, sure. But sometimes I don’t like when I am feeling less well, tired from a long day or slower. Or maybe one of those and with interrupted game time.

Then, this type of pretty, minimal but still important decisions, low penalty game is a great fit.

Man, I just wish they would have gone with random maps too.

Oh snap, they actually re-worked the education gameplay systems a bit so that there is now a reason to have each kind of education facility and good coverage for them. The biggest change in the free update (patch) for me is no doubt:

“Citizens need to go through each education level at the right age. Elementary schools provide education for uneducated children. Graduates obtain Educated level. High Schools provide education for educated teenagers. Graduates obtain Well Educated level. Universities provide education for well educated young adults. Graduates obtain Highly Educated level.”

Does anyone have some “must have mods” for this game if you have all the DLC? There is no way I can parse 50,000+ of them of what may be required in lieu of all the updates.

5 year anniversary!

Fishing… industry!

Cities: Skylines - Sunset Harbor introduces the fishing industry, new mass transit options, and important city services. Increase the entertainment of your city by taking flight with helicopters and private planes. Create cities across five new maps and build fishing infrastructure to develop your agricultural industry.

I’ve never played this game but dang, they really seem to keep cranking away on it. Out of curiosity, how has the development been? Is it one of those “Wow this game is so much better than it was at release”, or is it mostly just additional little things to play around with for those who can’t get enough of the game?

More of the latter. It is a traffic management game at its heart. The Parklife, Campus and Industries DLC for instance just do more in terms of creating unique districts for your city as an example.

Amazed this is still getting DLC.

I’m thinking I’ll jump back into this for the first time in years, as I’ve got that city building itch and the airports DLC looks like it could be fun. Are there any good YT channels to follow?

• Biffa Plays Indie Games: good host, good production, some neat ideas and beautiful cities.
  • City Planner Plays: probably the best tips and ideas, but I don’t find the channel quite as entertaining as Biffa.
  • Official channel: lots of topical videos focusing on different parts of the game

I’ve been playing Skylines pretty constantly since the start of the pandemic, if you’ve got any questions as you get back into it.

12 million copies sold, mighty impressive.

I’ve just started playing again, after not having played in a long while. My PC is more than adequate: 5900X, 64 gigs of RAM, 3070 TI.

My performance is great, except when I open the budget window. Then my FPS drops into single digits. Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any solutions?

Looking at DLC on sale. Is traffic management still the only thing that provides some pushback / challenge? When I played years ago that was the case. It seemed like the big draw was for people who like to make nice looking cities vs providing a game to offer challenges.

Pretty much. It’s a very nice city building sandbox, but not much structured challenge.

You had me at rat infestations.

Though after recent weather events I’m thinking it’d be interesting in a city sim to model things like snow clearance and salting and have some extreme snowstorm events that challenge those services in addition to other emergency services.

I did chuckle at this line from the article:

hail sounds interesting because unlike rain or snow it could do damage to buildings or vehicles

I mean I get what they are thinking but…

I still play Skylines from time to time. Its a good game to kinda get into a zone, have some tunes on and maybe a beer, and just play.

That said, the sim starts showing cracks once your city gets up to like 150-200k or so.

Looking forward to the new version.

Hot take, I know, but the 2014 SimCity is still my favorite city builder. I love the vibe, the way it looks, and the way it works. However, this isn’t a genre I have a firm footing in, so I defer to the fans on this one. Skyline was a cool game I played a lot of, but I always went back to Sim City 2014 eventually. Not that either game, or any int he genre, have I ever built up a huge city in, honestly.

I think you mean the 2013 Sim City?

I haven’t played it, but I read this article about it yesterday.