Party Down parties on!

That’s good to hear, because the funeral one was downright boring.

“Don’t try to understand it.”

What? This opinion is crazy.

“I fucking hate Steve Guttenberg.”

OK, now that was awesome. I liked how well that girl nailed the robot voice.

I think it’s fine if some of the cast rotates in and out from time to time. They don’t seem to have any problem bringing in new folks, and if it goes beyond too seasons they won’t have to go through the usual Friend style plot gymnastics to keep the show fresh.

I really enjoyed that episode. I think it was exactly the right tone to be a “cheerful” episode of Party Down, particularly for Roman. It wasn’t sappy or forced, but it left me feeling a bit happy for him for a change. It was still totally in keeping with the tone of the show though.

I’m not sure that came out right, but I think if I kept trying to explain it I would just talk in circles. Anyway, great episode.

That was the best episode so far, and, like everything else he’s ever been in, Steve Guttenberg was the worst part of it.

Episode 7 is up, and it’s awesome. I’m loving where they’re taking Ron this year.

So far Season 2 is topping the first in my book.

What a great show, thanks to this thread for recommending it. Thanks to Netflix instant queue for making everything so easy.

The humor is really smart, all the characters are shockingly likable, and it operates totally free of network TV’s unrealistic restrictions. I just got into season 2 after watching about 6 episodes in a row last night, and I can’t wait to see what they do with the characters.

I’ve just been catching up, too. Powered through the first season over the last couple days. I didn’t realize Rob Thomas, the creator of Veronica Mars, was one of the guys behind the show, otherwise I would have checked it out sooner. Great to see a cavalcade of VM regulars parade through the series as regulars AND guests. It also doesn’t hurt that I have such a huge crush on Lizzy Caplan.

I do worry about the show holding on to this kind of talent. As soon as Jane Lynch disappeared I was thinking, “somebody just got cast on Glee!” And if they only do 10 episode seasons I can’t imagine that paying well enough for the main cast that they could just turn down an offer from one of the major networks to do, potentially, 22-26 episodes. “No thanks, I’m quite happy with my part-time Starz job.” Although, it seems like the formula is built to handle cast turnover pretty well if needs be. It mirrors the situation the characters are in.

Lizzy Caplan turned down toplining a CBS series in favor of a potential third season of Party Down, leading CBS to put the show on the backburner.

I bet Lizzy Caplan gets cast in a pilot every year. Her last series on CBS didn’t last too long, so maybe she just made a judgement based on the quality of the new show. She seems to work pretty consistently in film and television. But Ryan Hansen’s pilot got picked up by NBC. I don’t know. Maybe Party Down’s production schedule is short enough they can get through it over hiatus.

I really liked the first season but the last few episodes have turned me off. It seems now they’re relying on ‘kick the ball in the nads’ jokes and Lizzy Caplan’s nipples (which came and went throughout the episode) to keep it going.

I thought the “Not On Your Wife Opening Night” episode was especially good the way it was written as a farce that mirrored what had gone on in the play. Some of the best Frasier episodes were like that.

And sorry, dudes, but Casey was TOTALLY (not pretend) flirting with the female producer.

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. :)

I liked Episode 7; even though they’re still making Ron the butt of the joke all the time, it was nice to see him kinda win the (taken) girl for a change.

I’m also worried about them hanging onto the cast. Adam Scott looks like he might have a reoccurring role on Parks and Rec, for example, and while I think he and Lizzy are really the only crucial cast members on the show, everyone in the cast is so crazy talented that I can’t imagine they’ll be hanging out on a Starz show for too much longer.

I’m wondering if the show could get moved to a bigger network. Who owns Starz?

I’d hate to see it get moved to a broadcast network or basic cable - they’d be forced to clean it up too much.

Looks like Starz has big planz.

They definitely have ambitions to follow in HBO and Showtime’s footsteps with their current strategy of producing high quality original programming. Obviously, they’re doing it kinda on the cheap right now with stuff like Party Down, Gravity and Sparticus, but you’ve got to start somewhere.