Path of Exile

Philistines, the lot o’ ye.

More gear in guild stash. Kaom’s Primacy, some rare rings and a decent pair of boots with life, two resists and lots of evasion.

I’m concluding I basically just suck at dodging in this game w/ any consistency. My DPS is very solid, but Atziri keeps squashing me with flameblasts. I dodge most of them, but there’s always one or two that I don’t quite get and splat. Sigh.

First Breachlord down for me (Xoph) with my blade vortex assassin. No deaths. Got to about 1/2 energy shield at one point, but never really felt too much in danger. No interesting drops, unfortunately. :(

Time to farm him a few times and try some of the others!

Yay to replying to myself!

Some 20% quality gems and more solid rares in guild stash.

Thanks, I’ve availed myself of a couple of 'em!

Info on the next major update 3.0.0 and Act 5 just became available!

Are they serious? They’re adding all the way up to Act 10?

GGG doesn’t strike me as the type to do something lame where each new act is just a tiny fraction of size of the previous ones just to say they have 10 of them, but I have no idea how they’d be able to do that much content. That’s amazing.

Reading between the lines, it looks like maybe Act 5 is a completely new act. Whereas Act 6 through 10 are “returns” to the previous acts likely with new quests, enemies, etc. but getting a lot of reuse out of the content they have already built.

Interesting approach and I think it makes sense. By “10 Acts, 1 Playthrough” I wonder if it means they will be doing away with scaling difficulties.

I would imagine so. That was their stated intent once they hit Act 10 (Cruel I think was already confirmed to be out for 3.0, but I’m guessing both of them are gone now).

Yep, I can dig it.

This is pretty beyond expectations. Looking forward to it.

ZiggyD’s summary

[quote=“Syzygy, post:2550, topic:67061, full:true”]
Reading between the lines, it looks like maybe Act 5 is a completely new act. Whereas Act 6 through 10 are “returns” to the previous acts likely with new quests, enemies, etc. but getting a lot of reuse out of the content they have already built. [/quote]

And new areas in the acts. From Ziggy’s video on Act 6, I think there are more new areas than not. Yes, some of them are similar to old areas (e.g. we get to pass on the otherside of the mountains that the Ledge is on). But graphically it feels new. Throwing in new enemies really sells it.

And Act 6 takes us into “act 2” areas before heading back into “act 1”. So they’ve got some interesting ideas on how to do this.

Well, yes and no. I mean there’s no longer multiple playthroughs. But the original plan was that the difficulty would “grow” over groups of acts, corresponding to the old difficulty levels. So e.g. the resistance penalties will still show up. Guessing that Act 5 will correspond with “what used to be Cruel” (and there will be some sort of thematic justification for us now getting a resistance penalty) and 8 will be the same for Nightmare.

Man, I hate resist gearing. In all games, forever and ever, amen.

It’s the hack n’ slash version of “you must be this tall to ride this ride,” and it’s bad, lazy design.

I get that there is some strategy to developing builds/gear in POE and squeezing as much dps out of your setup while still meeting the requirements of resist/life/(dodge/block/armor/whatever), but I’d rather a simpler system that does away with the un-fun bits like massive resist requirements and lets you pick and choose and optimize fun bits, like AS/crit/dmg/move/retaliate/whatever.

Of course, that’s kinda what Diablo III tries and fails so spectacularly to do (though D3 is enjoyable enough for other reasons, to be sure).

Heh, I was just having this conversation with a friend the other day. I completely agree with you, it’s beyond lazy and it’s completely uninteresting to boot. Resists would be interesting if they were a choice, but they never are. It’s max resists or go home. That’s not a build or gear choice at that point, it’s just a fucking chore.

Another complaint I have with resists in a lot of games is they wreck havoc with Armor. Oh, I’m a beefy tank guy, I’m wearing heavy armor, unlike these squishy caster types. Of course, it doesn’t really matter, since 80% of monsters in RPGs deal some sort of elemental damage types.

I’m fine with resists existing, but they should be extremely rare and the game shouldn’t be balanced around max resists. I wouldn’t mind finding a unique amulet that provided 10% fire resist, but the game wouldn’t be based around having such a thing just to survive.

I haven’t been paying any attention to PoE in the last few months, so when I ran across that Oriath trailer it surprised the heck out of me. Content all the way up to Act 10? Craziness. Seems awfully ambitious for a single update, but hey, GGG has managed to pull off everything they’ve set out to do thus far. I wouldn’t be surprised for it to come out in the fall rather than summer as they’re currently planning, though.

I agree that gearing for resists sort of sucks. But in PoE there are a number of ways to address the needs. In the beginning it’s easy to mostly neglect it, or only gear up for specific resists (i.e., cold when fighting Merveil). Later on, you do start to get gear with multiple resists. Plus you can craft resist onto gear with the Masters. At least PoE doesn’t have 10 resist types (I’m looking at YOU, Grim Dawn!)

As for the changes coming down the line, 10 acts… yowza! It looks like they reuse some of the map environments as the inspiration for some of the acts, which makes sense - they’ve got the tilesets lying there and this gets some use out of them.

I gotta say though, GGG continues to impress with their plan for this game. I’m not playing a lot right now but it always sucks me back in sooner or later!

I remember watching GGG interviewed by ZiggyD several months back with them talking about how huge their upcoming plans were in response to bringing back some of the community favorite season mechanics. Basically said yeah, they’d love to look at it at some point, but for the moment they have such huge plans in the pipe, it may be some time before they could revisit earlier season mechanics. Now I guess we know what they were hinting at!

So Act 5 is getting added in June/July, right?

Acts 5-10 are getting added in June/July.