Path of Exile

I’ve only ever used neversink’s filter, and with it now being fully customizable with incredible ease I’d highly endorse it to anyone. Go to filterblade.xyz to get it and you can change everything about it and see tests of what your loot will look like with it on so you can make sure you’re happy with it. Now, for a wall of text!

tl;dr: don’t pick up blue stuff after level 10ish.

As a person who has put far too much time into this game, the only times I will pick up a blue item is if I’m under level 8 or so, if it’s boots (until I find 10 movespeed boots, then that rule stops), if it’s early game and I’m about to portal back to town and they’re sitting right at my feet, or it’s a 1x1 item that I can vendor without identifying it for 2 transmutation shards and then only in the very beginning of the game.

If you’re going to be playing long enough to reach even act 4 or 5 the amount of time it takes you to pick them up and vendor them is a complete waste; the farther you get into the game the more currency that drops and eventually you stop picking up even full transmute orbs if they aren’t convenient and they’re worth 10 1x1 blue items. It’s not worth the time to vendor them other than the very beginning when you need a few transmutations. I haven’t picked one blue item up in ages but I have 100+ transmutes in my inventory, and the count keeps increasing despite my using them on maps and vendoring them for ID scrolls. Don’t waste your time.

It’s a free to play game, they need to make money somehow and the best ways they’ve got are premium stash tabs and character slots. Character slots are 30 points each ($3 for me). Otherwise, you just have to delete them for a new slot.

They’re under account features.

Yeah, but I’d buy an additional character tab in a heartbeat if it was per account.

I think he’s talking about your character’s inventory, not your stash. My dude is only level 21 but I would kill for a larger inventory.

That was the first place I looked!

And weirdly, it is available now, at work, when I’m not logged in. But I didn’t see it at home when I was logged in. I probably just overlooked it somehow.

How many stash tabs does a fresh account have? Trying to figure out if I bought some or not already.

Maybe late to the party but I recommend Neversink’s loot filter. It’s dynamic so as you level it continues to point out items you want to pick up that are useful for your current level.

I believe it has four.

Overall very pleased with the PoE monetization. I would pay for stuff, but they don’t sell anything I actually need. It’s all cosmetics and stack slots which you don’t need until endgame.

Yeah, you get 4 stash tabs by default and can buy more. Guilds don’t get a stash tab for free but you can buy them. I believe you get 25 character slots by default and can buy more (but you don’t really need to.) There’s no way to change your inventory.

Yeah, the number of character slots is ridiculously generous. They could have offered as few as three slots for free and nobody reasonably would have complained.

PoE is less aggressively monetized than many buy2play games, which gives me all kinds of warm n’ cuddly feelings towards the developers.

Maybe I’m nuts, but I think the number of character slots might have been way lower at one time.

Yeah, I’d say they’ve done this quite well. I actually look for things to buy as I have far too many stash tabs and character slots now. I nearly dropped $30 on the spectral basilisk pet. Still might do. I won’t spend $10 to try out a new game that I might want, throwing it in my wishlist for a steam sale, but I’ll drop triple that for a sparkly critter with a funny gait.

They really should add mounts, just for more stuff to sell in the store!

One of the streamers is trying to get people to push for mounts, partly as a joke. They were excited when a new set of uniques in 3.0 was found which summon an animal which fights by you while at the same time giving you a move speed buff. However, since this (or actual mounts) has an in-combat gameplay impact, I doubt they’d want to monetize it under their current policy.

Fucking mounts. Mounts and houses. What is it about fantasy nerds that they insist that mounts and houses have to be part of every single game? Bah.

You give players a boring mount as part of the storyline, and if they want different skins they can pay for them.

Cause mounts are cool, Adam. Mounts are cool.

I’m mostly kidding. But I’ll say that I’m thankful for game developers who can appropriately scope their shit and realize what would be a far to intensive and expensive amount of work for a feature that is ultimately peripheral at best to their game.

Why are mounts more peripheral than non-combat pets and the array of cosmetic appearances they already sell?

Cosmetic stuff doesn’t impact gameplay by definition. None of that stuff does anything beyond looking spiffy.

Not fundamentally different in many ways, but it’s likely significantly more expensive to implement since it would require an order of magnitude more animations than a pet since different characters would need to show up in a riding pose. Plus, I’m sure there’s new UI and gameplay logic where mounts are involved that non-combat pets don’t have.

Shrug, who knows? We have no insight into that stuff. It could be trivial if they have attachment points on character models, or it could be a huge bear. Either way, mounts would be cool.