Path of Exile

Or use Resolute Technique on the passive tree.

This probably won’t help you feel better, esp since it was non-hc, but I had a rather inglorious death a little while ago. I picked a rather inopportune time to use leap attack fighting the boss at the end of belly of the beast in act iv

Anyone played extra-totem AW recently? I had a lot of fun with a 4-5 totem Facebreaker AW build a couple of leagues back. I wonder if that’s viable now.

Pretty sure that’s what @Bateau was talking about up above.

Oops. You know I read that and was for some reason convinced the latest person who talked about AW hasn’t used Facebreaker :)

I’m using the zerker version though, not Hierophant. I think it has a better synergy with AW than other ascendancies. And that war cry heal is seriously my new favorite in the game, so damn good.

@Misguided where did you find those guidelines? Because it sounds like they were written by someone who never made it past act 3, on normal.

As for physical resist and rampart - you have to look at the effectiveness of nodes spent. For example, because the wording on Rampart nodes is increased you’re only looking at a around 3% effectiveness over the default Fortfity values. Increased phys dmg is ok but you can get that elsewhere, preferably with some attack speed which is what you’ll want on a Sunder build (as opposed to on an Earthquake build, for example).

Phys reduction on Soul of Steel is nice but you need to spend 4 points to get to it, and each of your endurance charges already provides 4% physical damage reduction. Basalt flask is another flat 15%. Again, not worth it.

And yeah, resists are quite easy to get, especially as a twohanded juggernaut. Each piece of armor can roll 3 suffixes, which means potentially 3x48 resists. 75% is the resist cap, midway through the game you get hit by -30% resist penalty and another -30% when you finish the game. People generally ignore chaos resistance and leave it at -60% but if you feel like it you can cap that as well. So if you want to be capped for elemental attacks you need 3x 135 resistance, and 4x 135 for chaos. Getting 100+ total resistance on a piece of armor gear is pretty common, same goes for rings. Because you’re twohanded getting added damage on jewelry is less important for you than onehanded characaters so you can stack massive resists on rings because they can roll +all res and can come in versions with implicit resistance. I’ve seen rings with 160%+ resistances on them.

Ultimately though, Path of Exile is a game of preference. If you hit a point where your gear isn’t up to par and you’re missing a few points of resistance to hit the cap and you feel that messing with your gear would break your entire build then by all means, take some resistance or stat nodes. That’s also why the game provides you with roughly 25 respec points, and you can spend Orbs of Regret on top. I constantly tinker with the builds on all my characters to see what feels best given the current circumstances. But what I said before still stands, there are many misleading traps on the tree and among the skill roster and they are very, very hard to avoid unless you have substantial experience with the game

Really appreciate the explanations. You mention respec points. Those get awarded later on?

I was working from this:

I didn’t see a lot of places that broke down general guidelines and this seemed like a reasonable start.

I actually managed to get my life up to 194% with minimal changes and keeping most of the armor/resists/damage, so thanks for getting me to drill down even further.

You get respec points from quests and by using Orbs of Regret. These are pretty common so you don’t really have to worry about making any mistakes that couldn’t be fixed. You can even change your bandit rewards later if you want.

As for the guide - those values are completely off. 140% is just way too risky to play at, especially if you don’t have any ES on top. Maybe it used to be enough, several years ago, but the game got a lot more deadly since then. These days I aim for a 6k buffer and even that isn’t always enough.

I knew about the orbs, just not the ~25 points you mentioned. I don’t have any yet, but I haven’t done much in the way of sidequests so I don’t get too far overleveled.

Hoping to do the first labyrinth tomorrow.

And that’s Shaper down! My character if anyone’s curious (if I end up playing something else look for ‘Bati_totems’): link

(chest is only there so I can use the armor skin lol)

Nice, how much did you spend on gear?

Not that much. Facebreaker was around 15c early in the league, BoR was 30 or 40c, I don’t remember, Meginord is 1c, amulet and steel ring (left) are both self found/crafted, the right ring was 20c, boots were 2 alchs, shield was 30c. You could get the uniques for considerably less if you went with slightly lower rolls.

Triple damage jewel was 10c, the one with life was 15 I think. All in all, you’re looking at around 3-4 exa worth of gear which is peanuts considering what the character can do.

I love ya, @Bateau, but when you say things like “Orbs of Regret are pretty common” and “3-4 exalts worth of gear is not that much” you’re speaking from a different level than many of us. Often I don’t see that kind of currency until the very tail end of my play time in a league.

Respec in particular can be a real problem if you have to make any kind of significant change. I think you’re referring to making only minor changes, 3-4 nodes here and there, in which case the 20+ respec points every character gets for free are probably enough. But if you’re changing huge chunks of your tree, a dozen or more points at a time, the costs will end up being so high that you might as well just reroll another character.

Sorry, I sometimes lose perspective :)

And I’m the type who’d rather spend 100 chaos (regrets, assuming the usual 1:1 trading ratio) on respec than suffer through leveling again. But for the normal people reroll is definitely a better option, especially if you switch to a completely different build, for example from melee to caster, since you also need to swap out the gems then. Amazing things can be done with 20-30 respec points though, so that’s definitely worth keeping in mind. For example, I could easily adapt my totem guy linked above into a cyclone build, even a twohanded version.

Is 100 Chaos that much, once you get a character to mapping though? I’ve only ever run a few maps myself, as I am a habitual alt roller. Presumably drop rates improve such that saving for a 10c item is far from out of the question. Heck, it definitely is not much if you embrace trading.

Speaking of which, @Bateau, do you sell much yourself? What tools do you use? Do you trawl the channels, or use Acquisition, poe.trade, auto-store listing, et al? At what level would you say trying to sell stuff becomes worthwhile? presumably there is not that much interest, nor profit, in ilevel 30 gear, but from ilevel 50? 60?

You can get 100 chaos pretty fast. I just ran an Abyss map that dropped 3 steel rings, 2 were ilvl 84. That’s easy 110+ chaos right there. This is by no means the norm but if you run maps fast the law of averages eventually swings in your favor.

I do sell quite a bit but I don’t use anything in particular except for poe trade macro, mostly to check item stats (open prefixes, suffixes, q20 dps, value ranges, etc) and prices on uniques and items without stats (keys, orbs). Other than that I just put stuff in my premium tab, set the prices and open it to public. To follow meta I casually browse reddit and see what pops up (mathil builds and so on).

Once you get to maps you’ll start coming across items that move fast so that’s a good point to start selling things. Item level is mostly irrelevant, except in cases like 6L restriction or crafting (83 or 84 for top rolls). If someone’s looking for particular stats they won’t get hung up on ilvl if it’s low, as long as the stats match.

Cool, just installed the trade macro (something I have been meaning to do for a long time). Seems it’s important to do advanced searches, otherwise the item’s actual mods aren’t considered, so you just get results for all generic item types and it won’t return a particularly helpful valuation of the actual item you have.

ie:
ctrl-d on my spirit shield returns - 1 alt (ie worthless)
ctrl-alt-d on my actual shield with 50% spell damage and 10% all resist - 1 alch

ctrl-d my onyx ammy - 1 alt (again, worthless)
atrl-alt-d my onyx ammy with +30 attributes and +50 life - 2 alch

Keeping in mind, of course, that prices you see on poe.trade are not necessarily the same as the prices things actually sell for!

I know it fluctuates, but what’s the relative exchange between chaos and exalted orbs?

Http://currency.poe.trade

Normal lab is complete. I ended up unlocking a door to a treasure trove. Wouldn’t have done that if I’d realized it wasn’t the way forward. That resulted in obtaining my first Vaal orb, which is cool.

For people as lost as me, apparently this is the https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Lord's_Labyrinth, which is something you complete that gives you access to the ascendancy points, which are those small little trees shown on the side or over the other trees sometimes.

I’ve never reached that far into the game I guess. Or is this the thing that I died to in the Prison in Act 1?