Path of Exile

I got down to like half health once yesterday and had no clue why. Maybe that was it.

Oh right, Forrest Encampment in act 7 is a boss fight now. lol, clicked on it thinking it was a town transition. Why am I dying? Whoops.

This is a pretty typical experience for casters on the top side of the tree. Your best bet is cwdt+IC, if you have mana to spare then enfeeble + temp chains in blasphemy, or at least enfeeble in cwdt.

Next time I play a caster I’ll try and go for the Iron Will version and enjoy all the perks of the bottom left side of the tree - regen, possibly Blood Magic, Unwavering stance, massive life pool, etc.

On a related note, my facebreaker AW berserker is performing spectacularly. I have around 130k dps per totem (have two) with flasks up, 7k health, 42% block, free 25% heal every 2 seconds and a myriad of other bonuses. So far I’ve taken down two guardians with relative ease (past experience does help I suppose) and I’ll start making Shaper attempts as soon as I get all 4 different fragments. It is easily one of the most versatile characters I’ve played, I can do pretty much all mods, the only one that’s annoying is phys reflect because my totems oneshot themselves so I have to recast them all the time. It’s also a super lazy build, you plop down those things and watch the whole screens disappear. I went the extra mile and put a special shield in my second weapon slot for elemental weakness maps - with the same gems, so I don’t have to do anything but press X and off I go. Because I’m not using any weapon this works out really well. And the build is fairly cheap to start with (BoR, decently rolled Facebreaker and Meginord’s Girdle are the mandatory starting uniques) and you can slowly upgrade it as you find or buy better items.

Updated passive tree for my sunder marauder. Would appreciate feedback if anybody is into that.

Question for the PoE gurus, should my sunder marauder go for the always hit but never crit node or the group of nodes right next to it that give a metric shitton of crit chance and crit damage? Brief research indicates that melee doesn’t actually care about crit in this game.

You never take phys nodes over health at marauder start. Rampart is a noob trap, Soul of Steel isn’t worth it. Read up on how armor works (very little protection vs big hits which is what kill you). Indomitable is also a noob trap. You also don’t need to fill out the entire cluster below duelist start when pathing from weapon nodes to the health ones above. Your total life is very, very low (144%). Aim for 180+ if you’re on this side of the tree.

This leaves you some skill points that you can distribute at your own discretion, maybe put them into bleed nodes if you want to go that route or attack leech if you don’t have any on gear or ascendancy. Since you went for Juggernaut you should get the upgraded Kaom’s Sign ring (through prophecy) which gives you regen for each endurance charge on you. You can match this with a Marble amulet for truly massive amounts of regen, you’ll be a real juggernaut :).

tldr: armor nodes are not worth it, resist nodes are only taken in extreme cases (like mine where using BoR somewhat forces me into some of these nodes), 170% health is already considered low, even by softcore standards, loading up on damage nodes all over the tree is generally not worth it, except with really good clusters.

edit: forgot to add, each endurance charge also adds some resist so a juggernaut typically shouldn’t have to try too hard to reach the lvl 15 ele weakness cap. This will also be your main source of phys dmg reduction (+basalt flask) which makes armor nodes even more pointless.

I’m sure shadows would disagree with this. You can also make a successful crit char on the left side of the tree (gladiator for example), all that matters is the base crit chance on your weapon and if you’re willing to keep your finger on the Diamond flask at all times because you’ll likely never reach the crit cap with crit nodes that are within range on that side of the tree.

But yeah, most of the people who play marauder classes generally go for Resolute Technique over trying to build for crit. One notable exception is the Hegemony’s Era staff.

Yeah that’s what everybody said, but it feels wrong. My character sheet says I have a 92% hit chance and 5% crit, so how could adding 75% crit chance and a bunch of crit damage to that be worth less than another 8% hit chance? Obviously I’m missing a fine point somewhere, like monsters have an additional chance to evade/dodge/parry/block or whatever that resolute technique eliminates.

Crit nodes scale off your base crit chance, it’s not an additive bonus. Anything below 8% crit generally isn’t worth building for crit.

I highly recommend you install Path of Building and plug in your character then play around with different nodes to see what the effects actually are.

Ahhhhhh they are multiplicative. Gotcha.

Yeah, it would have been nice if they had just use the words multiplicative and additive instead of increased and more I can never remember which of those has which and need to look it up all the time

It can be be either additive or multiplicative, depending on the wording :)

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Critical_strike#Critical_strike_chance

Super confusing, and so easy to fix.

Additive: +1% Critical Strike Chance
Multiplicative: x1.25 Critical Strike Chance

I take it this is a common criticism, given the “increased versus more” FAQ, so the devs just don’t want to fix it.

Ok. Will have to try and digest all that. The guidelines I had found said 140% was a good health target for soft core. Getting more is easy, though, if I’m pulling points from other places. They had also suggested 80-200% armor, which I’ve drifted a bit high on

I get the armor issue, but less clear on why % physical resist isn’t worth it (because you can’t get enough to be worthwhile perhaps?). Likewise with Rampart, I have found Fortify to be invaluable. I only found Rampart because I went searching for nodes to make fortify stronger. Since Fortify resists everything, including chaos, seems like increasing that would be a good thing.

I find it hard to believe (just based on experience with other games) that resist nodes are completely unnecessary. I know there’s a -60% penalty after finishing. Are resists really that abundant on gear?

M = More = Multiplicative.

Done.

Nice mnemonic,thanks!

I had to sign an informed consent form today for anesthesia. They told me not to drive or sign contracts for the rest of the day, but somehow they forgot to say not to play HC characters. And I RIP’d my summoner on a harbringer mob in A6.
not sure what to do next- switch to SC, stop, or start an ancestral warchief marauder…

Thanks. I’ll swap out temp chains for enfeeble to give it a shot. Trying an MoM pizza stick inquisitor this time and had a rough start with maps. Merc Izaro was a bit of a pushover at least.

My stupid thing is that I can miss attacks. Every time I try to get into the game, that happens and I just… Ugh.

One of these days, I’ll get it.

Limit yourself to only posting Spellcasters - spells never miss! :)